ISABELLE LEGHORNS IN USA!

I didn't know Leghorns had an Isabel variety! These are so stunning, does anyone know if they are recognized by the APA yet as a official variety? I'd love to get my hands on some chicks come spring-time.

These are the leghorn varieties recognized by the APA as of January 01, 2012:

Leghorn Single Comb Barred 1995 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Black 1960 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Black Tailed Red 1960 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Buff 1960 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Columbian 1960 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Dark Brown 1960 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Golden 1981 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Light Brown 1960 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Red 1960 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb Silver 1960 Single Comb Clean Legged
Leghorn Single Comb White 1940 Single Comb Clean Legged

Sadly, Isabel is not on the list.
sad.png

I don't see Exchequer either.

Anyone have a more recent list?

And....Dark Brown, Light Brown, White, Black, Buff in rose combs.
My list was from 2015. It didnt included barred. But had all the others you listed.
Had the apa show down at the fairgrounds yesterday and they didnt have barred listed either.
I have barred so im curious now.

Last edited:
Lovely looking birds are they like the white ones? I call my leghorns the white tornado since they are flighty when I approach even though I hand raised them including treats

Lovely looking birds are they like the white ones? I call my leghorns the white tornado since they are flighty when I approach even though I hand raised them including treats

They are sometimes flighty in the brooder, but as adults they still have to be pushed out of the way when visiting to avoid stepping on them. They are alert and suspicious and can spook at surprises (like someone suddenly appearing into sight), but otherwise they aren't that bad. I have found that the more space they have, the calmer they are. If they feel they cannot escape, they are more prone to be nervous and flighty. Those little coops they sell at the farm stores are just aweful for Leghorns. You don't have to free range, but give them lots of space if you can.

@GardenWren

I am in Tennessee and work with the breeder you found in Ooltewah (Buddy Henry). He has taken down his web and face book page and is referring to me at this time. I am 1 hour from Manchester. Right now we are working on splits and another project using the Isabel's. We should have some eggs and chicks by the time spring comes. I will PM you my information.  

My husband just got home with our new trio and I literally couldn't be happier with them, not even if you'd have taped a $100 bill to each one! Can't wait for my DBL quartet to mature now! So excited and happy! Thank you for the gorgeous feather babies!

Back
Top Bottom