Isbar thread

I've got 5 baby Isbars from GFF second importation. With my own "gender guessing" I think I have 2 boys and 3 girls. Time will tell better that I can though! I think I'm addicted to baby chicks :)

Thank you guys so much.

@ChicKat The moral support means a lot, and you do have it exactly right; having the nicest chicks is really far more important than breed. I think a major part of it is what you mentioned though about turning around and trying to unload the males. It'll be very important when that time comes for them to have a chance at finding good homes instead of becoming someone's dinner. And I'm a city girl who dreams of the country; it's hard for me to think of any of my animals as a potential dinner, though I've found I'm pretty realistic and practical when it comes right down to it. I had a guy man-handling one of my araucana roosters last summer, swinging it around to look at every detail to be sure he wanted to buy it for breeding, and I just cringed and wriggled and squinted, barely able to take it. But once the roo was gone, I did manage to chill on the whole thing and (cue the music) LET IT GOOOO!

I don't think I'll be contacting GFF. I realized something today while thinking upon this further. My guess is that they put my six isbars in the box, and there were some unsold chicks of other breeds, so they tossed one into each box headed out that day. And frankly? I don't want to discourage this. I don't want to demand a refund on the isbar that died when I did in fact receive six chicks, it's just that one of them wasn't what I ordered. I don't want them to feel they can't do this; I love that they did it. I just wish it had been the Isbar that survived (or really, all of them, BUT....) or at least a girl, because as @lakones and @KYTinpusher suggested, and I agree, that white chick is totally a boy.

But an American Bresse I can work with! At least I know the breed now so I can start early on finding him a home. I don't even mind eating the cost of shipping to see that he lives a decent life for awhile.

I really appreciate the feedback (and warm welcomes to the Isbar community), and appreciate the speculations on sex. It just so happened that I agreed with each guess, so it's nice to have the suspicions confirmed, or . . . as confirmed as they can be before they start to crow!
th.gif

When Seattle gets a sunny day soon in the coming weeks, I'll take good close pictures of them for some real speculation on each chick that you Isbar experts can weigh in on; I can't tell you how much I appreciate it, as the earlier I can get them posted, the better chance I have. DH and I are buying further out of town sometime over the next year so I can be the country girl I am at heart while he can still work in the city, so hopefully I won't have to go through this 'ridding of roo's that I have to do.

I love these boards, thanks again!
yippiechickie.gif

A friend of mine is going to give me a pair of isbars soon a splash boy and a blue girl.
I really like project colors and was wondering if it would be a big no no to try and introduce new colors into the breed?

Hello Isbar Experts!

Let me first introduce myself: I'm Stephanie, live in a suburb of Seattle Washington, and due to the city limitations, I can only have a limited amount of chickens and no roosters.

So taking that into consideration, over the past few years I have selectively bought rarer breeds, even though I cannot continue the line, as I value egg colors and interesting birds a lot more considering I can only have about a dozen birds. I've hatched Araucanas and Swedish Flowers, and this year decided to make my very first order from GFF; 6 Isbar chicks.

Seven chicks arrived, one was very ill and passed from cocci within 8 hours. The remaining six are now 25 days old. While it was tragic to lose one, I figured that's why they put seven in there; saves the hassle of a refund/replacement, etc. Only just now I'm realizing, upon reading some pages in this thread somewhere in the 110s, that WHITE ISBARS are a myth. And I have one thriving white Isbar that I'm realizing now may have been a packing peanut.
hit.gif
Further reading through the many pages here and I find some pics posted by other purchasers from GFF that look "splash" and people are responding saying they're most definitely not Isbars, they're some sort of Mutt.

Again, I refer to above, where I'm very limited in how many chickens I can have, so this is a concern of mine! Eeek! So I'm posting some pictures of these 25 day old babies (that are the sweetest, friendliest chicks I have *ever* had) so maybe you experts can weigh in.

First: Two of my blues. The one on the left is larger than the one on the right, but the one on the right has a larger comb. Boy girl? Girl boy? Thoughts?

Second: some of the "splash" colored ones that I'm now worried after having read that other post where someone shared their "splash" chicks that were later determined to be mutts.

Finally, as you may notice above, one of those chicks is not like the other! This white chick has the same comb as the others, and same stature as well. So is it really a myth? Or did I just get THE LEGEND!

I so appreciate your input. If this white chick was a packing peanut and they just didn't tell me what I got or even that I was getting one at all, I should really write them for a refund on the one that died. I did contact them that I'd had a death the day they arrived, but because they'd sent me one extra, I wouldn't ask for anything. BUT that was assuming these were all ISBARS!
hu.gif
Anyways, it's on record that I had the death, I have a picture, etc. Gah, I just don't know how to handle these sorts of things, because I'm the sort of person that will order a steak dinner, be brought a salad, and never tell them they'd made a mistake.

Anyways, thanks again in advance for checking out the photos and sharing with me your thoughts. If you can easily see any sex traits to help me determine now who the girls are, that would be helpful as well so I don't get too attached!!!! EEEK!

(I can take them into the sunlight tomorrow, these pictures are a result of late night thread reading, panic, and quick shots to make a post ASAP! So if these are not good enough to really determine anything, I'll post more tomorrow, just let me know!)
Hi there- Welcome to the isbar thread...Prepare to fall in love!
big_smile.png

Greenfire has an arrive alive guarantee for so many hours after arrival. However, check your invoice papers- Did you get an e-mail with import papers? It should have on it what was in that box.
The new office gal at Greenfire-Josette has been wonderful. I have had many transactions with her this year. Let's just say she is a huge improvement for them! If you have any questions call her or e-mail them.

I just got my Queen Silvia's and ordered two isbars. She sent me three- and the one looks just like your fuzzball. It's papered as an Isbar.

jumpy.gif

Code:
Hi there- Welcome to the isbar thread...Prepare to fall in love!  :D   

Greenfire has an arrive alive guarantee for so many hours after arrival. However, check your invoice papers- Did you get an e-mail with import papers? It should have on it what was in that box. 
The new office gal at Greenfire-Josette has been wonderful. I have had many transactions with her this year.  Let's just say she is a huge improvement for them!  If you have any questions call her or e-mail them.

I just got my Queen Silvia's and ordered two isbars. She sent me three- and the one looks just like your fuzzball. It's papered as an Isbar.

:jumpy

I agree jossette is wonderful. I spoke with her today about ordering bantam barnevelders. I had some last year but the Hawks got at them. I really wanted to get them again as my boys also really liked them, but last I spoke to her she said they probably won't be selling them much longer and they were ordered out. She put me as the last order she will be taking this year. I only wanted a few. Hopefully I will get some. Either way she is wonderful to work with.

Okay- So, I have my Isbar breeding pen all set up. I have a beautiful black roo with silver over four black hens, three blue hens and two splash hens. How long should I wait before I can be sure they will be purely isbar. Two weeks? Three weeks? Last thing I want to do is sell someone bum eggs or chicks.

They are all such beautiful egg layers. Luckily, I have no tan layers.

:)

Hello Isbar Experts!

Let me first introduce myself: I'm Stephanie, live in a suburb of Seattle Washington, and due to the city limitations, I can only have a limited amount of chickens and no roosters.

So taking that into consideration, over the past few years I have selectively bought rarer breeds, even though I cannot continue the line, as I value egg colors and interesting birds a lot more considering I can only have about a dozen birds. I've hatched Araucanas and Swedish Flowers, and this year decided to make my very first order from GFF; 6 Isbar chicks.

Seven chicks arrived, one was very ill and passed from cocci within 8 hours. The remaining six are now 25 days old. While it was tragic to lose one, I figured that's why they put seven in there; saves the hassle of a refund/replacement, etc. Only just now I'm realizing, upon reading some pages in this thread somewhere in the 110s, that WHITE ISBARS are a myth. And I have one thriving white Isbar that I'm realizing now may have been a packing peanut.
hit.gif
Further reading through the many pages here and I find some pics posted by other purchasers from GFF that look "splash" and people are responding saying they're most definitely not Isbars, they're some sort of Mutt.

Again, I refer to above, where I'm very limited in how many chickens I can have, so this is a concern of mine! Eeek! So I'm posting some pictures of these 25 day old babies (that are the sweetest, friendliest chicks I have *ever* had) so maybe you experts can weigh in.

Finally, as you may notice above, one of those chicks is not like the other! This white chick has the same comb as the others, and same stature as well. So is it really a myth? Or did I just get THE LEGEND!

Here are my newbies from GFF last week- Beautiful little isbars-

Back
Top Bottom