Isbar thread

Roo or pullet?

Cameras can't always see it the way the human eye does.  Jack is beautiful.  -- Sandusky -- home of Cedar Point!  Was always big excitement to go there when I was a kid growing up near Toledo.  Is the 'blue streak' still there.  ;O)

Thank you. Jack and his brothers, along with the bantam boys, are acting like a bunch of hormonal teenagers right now and will be separated into their own living quarters this evening. Wondering when I can reasonably expect them to start settling down a bit?

As far as I know, Cedar Point still has the Blue Streak. It's been probably 5 or 6 years since I last went, and it was there at the time. Funny thing is, people in this area always refer to Upper Sandusky simply as "Upper," most likely to avoid confusion with Sandusky, which is far larger and to the north.

Last edited:
hide.gif

I will have to take a look at a map.

Funny thing how the males are as they mature. Often I would take them away from females that are the same hatch because the males will mature faster and harass the females just when they are getting in gear and they don't need any added stress in their life. When a bunch of males are growing together they seem to get the pecking order thing worked out to a degree...however, they somtimes seem to picke on one -- or on each other needlessly unless one has so clearly established that he is the boss -- that it is a pen with no-questions asked.

For the first time I have 3 cockerels in a pen with 7 females -- all mixed -- and although one male is definitely the ruler of the roost.... Seems because there are females in this grow out pen there are more kerfuffles than need be...so I am in the process of getting each male his own 'family' of hens and I think things will be calm as can be. (considering they are chickens afterall)

:oops:
I will have to take a look at a map.

Funny thing how the males are as they mature.  Often I would take them away from females that are the same hatch because the males will mature faster and harass the females just when they are getting in gear and they don't need any added stress in their life.  When a bunch of males are growing together they seem to get the pecking order thing worked out to a degree...however, they somtimes seem to picke on one  -- or on each other needlessly unless one has so clearly established that he is the boss -- that it is a pen with no-questions asked. 

For the first time I have 3 cockerels in a pen with 7 females -- all mixed -- and although one male is definitely the ruler of the roost.... Seems because there are females in this grow out pen there are more kerfuffles than need be...so I am in the process of getting each male his own 'family' of hens and I think things will be calm as can be.  (considering they are chickens afterall)

Think nothing of it! Upper Sandusky is quite small. Many people, including Ohioans, have never heard of it.

I've got some fencing due to arrive today. I can't wait to separate these rascals and give the little girls a much-deserved break.

It's really That time of year.....

I had an Isbar hatch (my first Isbar TO hatch actually -- with two cream Legbar males -- and they had been raised together as three boys). The Legbars developed crooked combs -- so they had no future -- One Legbar became very dominant and was pushing the other two cockerels around. I processed the two Legbars the least dominant legbar had even more flaws than the 'mean' one. That left the Isbar being raised solo. I felt soo so sorry for him all alone for so long. So last night I put him in a different pen with the objective of putting females in there. Today I put in one older female and two younger ones -- and although there were awkward moments....and -- he tried to mate one of the not-ready-yet pullets grabbed the feathers at the top of her neck -- he ended up breeding the ground next to her..... He needs a little work on his skill set I guess.

But now -- they are all peacefully together in a 10x10 pen --

I think it is an example of how mild-mannered and peaceful Isbars are as a breed..they seem to have docile temperaments -- compared especially to some of my legbars.....

Back
Top Bottom