It has begun

No pip at all Bert? Wonder if it's malpositioned. Sometimes when only one is really late, there's something wrong with it. (Sorry everyone, I'm a realist.)

I agree :highfive:

I'm not a helper when it comes to hatching but once I had a chick that had zipped the egg but not broken through membrane in doing so. It had just pushed the shell off all around. Well it was stuck in there for ages and ages and in the end (as it was the end of hatch) I broke the membrane for it and let it hatch. It got out in the end but was a weak chick, it didn't thrive and a couple of days later I culled it. There was obviously something wrong with it and in nature it would never have made it out of the egg. That's why I like them to hatch on their own with no help at least you know then you have strong chicks.

Last edited:
awesome!!!

this last blue egg I have needs to get a move on!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Hi, I admit, I am a lurker...sry. But thought that if you are going to try assisting the chick out of the egg you might look at this article first. Now I will return to lurking
big_smile.png
hide.gif

Don't lurk! Don't try and be shy with this bunch. I will not assist though. If at the end of today the chick has not pipped, I will junket.

Last edited:
Don't lurk! Don't try and be shy with this bunch. I will not assist though. If at the end of today the chick has not pipped, I will junket.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Hi, I admit, I am a lurker...sry. But thought that if you are going to try assisting the chick out of the egg you might look at this article first. Now I will return to lurking
big_smile.png
hide.gif

What I noticed this last time I had broodies hatch out eggs. It seemed to me that they were helping the chicks by putting pressure on the egg to crack the egg more once the chick was zipping. I might be wrong and noticed the chick already hatch with the egg crushed but that is what it seemed like to me when I checked on them last fall.

Well last night I pulled out the last egg. I went ahead and checked it, and it was malpositioned. it's feet and butt we're towards the Aircell its beak was towards the pointed end.

yesterday I found out, that the chicks I've ordered are going to be pushed back a month. I think today, I will go through my list of Texas egg sellers, and see if they have any available. I can incubate and hatch by the time these others would be shipped.

Last edited:
Well last night I pulled out the last egg. I went ahead and checked it, and it was malpositioned. it's feet and butt we're towards the Aircell its beak was towards the pointed end.

yesterday I found out, that the chicks I've ordered are going to be pushed back a month. I think today, I will go through my list of Texas egg sellers, and see if they have any available. I can incubate and hatch by the time these others would be shipped.
So did you save the little blue egg or was it too late?

Awww.... sorry to hear that. But one more time I'll say you had an awesome first hatch!
thumbsup.gif

4/5 of mine hatched. one egg tried to pip out the point, and broke its yolk in doing so.

I tossed in 2 more eggs in incubator 2 days after putting the above chicks in...

Now this gray egg is zipping...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom