It sounds gross but...can you eat duck eggs?

Ok, Thanks everybody! I'll try them when she starts laying!
clap.gif

I bought Welsh Harlequins for that very reason. The eggs are fantastic! Really tastey. My friend has malards and she eats their eggs too. It's not gross, it's a natural product and perk of owning ducks. The reason that most people can't buy duck eggs from the store is water fowl need a lot more care than chickens and the corperate farms can't be bothered to care enough. Duck eggs are better than ducks eggs in my opinion and it makes me happy to have a home grown egg XD I grew up in the city so, simple pleasures now!

I bought duck eggs at chickenstock in June from a fellow BYCer. I ate them about 4 times before I put 2 and 2 together and realized I'm allergic. It's a combination of intolerance (digestive upset) and histamine reaction (itching, cracked corners of mouth, swollen eyelids). The last time I was vomiting. It's too bad because I really liked them. Both my kids can eat them and my husband, niece and nephews too. If I make them for other people I have to remember to wash my hands after cracking them. If I get egg on my hand and then touch my face I get itchy. It does make me wonder if I have any other food allergies I don't know about.
idunno.gif

Duck eggs are good scrambled ( I add a little milk and cheese), if fried cook on lower heat, baked goods( they make fantastic brownies, cakes, cookies etc), I also use them in bread... I also make pan cakes with them and waffles...
oh and french toast.
hopefully one of these days I'll be able to use them in homemade ice cream when I get a machine...

I admit it grosses me out for some reason, too.
smile.png
I have no idea why because I like chicken eggs. I do sneak and feed them to my daughter, though.

The dogs love them! I usually just toss them out of the pen for the dogs to eat raw -- they eat the entire egg, shell and all.

I will go to use our duck eggs before our chicken eggs. They are wonderful!!! I am not new to baking, and noticed our duck eggs I've been using in my recipes have greatly improved texture. It's hard to go back now. I haven't noticed a flavor difference, only because I don't eat plain eggs (scrambled, fried, etc)...never could.
sad.png

Duck eggs are the best for baking. Turkey eggs come in a close second. I have BB turkey that is two years old and lays giant eggs. I manage her diet so she can still walk.

Back
Top Bottom