It sounds gross but...can you eat duck eggs?

Its not gross..whats the difference between a chicken egg and a duck egg??
An egg is an egg..... *well unless its a reptile egg...
sickbyc.gif
..*

not only can you eat them, but I've found they're WAY WAY better, the best eggs. period. can't say exactly why they're better, because they taste like chicken eggs but just like the BEST eggs you've ever eaten. perfect food: coddled duck eggs mashed with mayo and a bit of salt, on fresh baked bread. that's heaven!

Coddling rather than boiling duck eggs keeps them tender and from getting rubbery. (coddle: add room temp eggs to a pan of room temp water, bring to a boil, then take pan off the heat and cover with a tight lid for 18-23 minutes depending on the size of the egg. move eggs to a pan of ice water to cool rapidly and stop the cooking process.)

I'll take duck eggs over chicken eggs any day, even my good home grown chicken eggs.

I've had all different kinds of breeds, and while there's a diference in size, shell color and shell thickness, I haven't found any taste difference between breeds. I've never had commercial duck eggs, so I can't comment on them tasting stronger, but my home grown duck eggs don't.

LOVE them for baking too. and the yolks have such a rich almost neon orange to them that they add nice color to things like egg bread.

I've had goose eggs as well, I find those stronger tasting and don't like them for egg dishes, but I use them in baking with excellent results. some of my friends say the goose eggs don't taste different to them, so maybe it's personal sensitivity. haven't had turkey eggs yet, or guinea eggs... next year I'll get to try those...

one of my friends has a large breeding flock of parakeets... and yep, they eat the surplus eggs... tiny jelly bean sized ones... in tiny omlets. her kids love them. my first thought was
ep.gif
but hey, they're eggs.

Quote:
Shoot Muggs, with all those beautiful chicken eggs you don't EAT them!! I guess I should be happy, cuz they sure make pretty hens!! LOL Hugs!

hide.gif
Isn't that something? I LOVE a colorful egg basket, but I mostly hatch or decorate with the pretty eggs. Speaking of which, I have about 5 dozen to blow out today...my least favorite part.
sickbyc.gif

I like a good filled to the brim omelet and quiches....just not plain ole eggs.
hu.gif

I'm going to google search and see what we can find on duck vs. chicken eggs. I'll post what I find...

Quote:
We had Call Ducks and we never ate the eggs. The whites are "gooy". TOUGH. I used them to bake...ok. Ducks don't lay like chickens. Ours only yearly.

They do NOT compare to Chicken Eggs. Regards, Aria

Quote:
laying rate depends on the breed, I've never had Calls, but my khakis layed daily for over 250 days the first year, and the Golden 300s are bred for laying... mine did, an egg a day faithfully from 4 months to their first molt at about 16 months, and then nearly that well for the following year. 18 duck hens, 18 eggs a day, every day... MAN we gave away a lot of eggs!

Quote:
I think it depends on what they had to eat (the geese).. i raised my geese with my ducks and you couldn't tell the difference in the eggs other than the size.. both tasted the same.. and both did just as well in baking

been a while since i had guinea eggs.. we gave away all of our girls and only had a male left (til the fox ate him)

actually I think the only eggs I haven't eaten are pretty much from raptors.. songbirds.. and reptiles! lol

Quote:
I think that's often the case with commercial eggs... I know its true for our goat milk... what they eat matters to the taste of the milk. we raised our geese and ducks together, on the same feed. the geese graze more than the ducks, and maybe they were picking something different to eat. the goose eggs didn't taste bad, just a little stronger. maybe just a bit more sulphur taste, not to my preference.
Quote:
what, iguana eggs?
ep.gif
ok, now THAT'd be wierd.
ok, do iguanas lay eggs? don't know, but I'm still thinkin'
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom