It's 108 in AZ and my chicken are pooping black squishy blobs

We have put frozen water bottles out for them but they didn't seem to know what to make of them. I will try the chilled watermelon for sure. Thanks for the ideas!

We do also have a fan constantly running for them too. Right now they are nestled down in the dirt in front of the fan, cooling themselves.

A large shallow pan with some paver blocks and ice cubes in it,
set in front of that fan can offer some extra coolness too.

Note, feeding watermelon can make for some funky colored poops too.
Black poops can be from eating dirt or cecal poops.

Also forgot to mention in my original post that besides the fan always running for them, we have a misting system that comes on also - although they don't seem to like it much and kind of stay away from the cool mist. They do like the cool, moist dirt that is left behind though. Also, we do have a pan of water that sits out for them - we refill it a couple times daily so it stays as cool for them as possible. So far they have not taken a liking to using that too much though, although we've helped them into it a few times to help cool them down.
wink.png
I will try putting the frozen water bottles that we have in that to keep the pan of water cold - don't know why I didn't think of doing that. Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone!

Last edited:
I gave my girls 1/2 a bag of frozen corn kernels today - they didn't last long enough to thaw out. Surely that helped cool them a bit

I have an observation to share, I have noticed that when I give cold melons to my flock (watermelon and cantaloupes) the do get very loose poop, more than they normally have after drinking lots of water throughout the day, so I give them the melons in the mornings, by the time the go to roost, the loose poop is not that bad and the roosting boxes are easier to clean.
They certainly love to dust bathe on cool sand in the run, everyday I sprinkle some water in some spots under the fans to make it a little damp and also I do agree with not giving them ACV when it's hot and adding several pans with cool water

I have an observation to share, I have noticed that when I give cold melons to my flock (watermelon and cantaloupes) the do get very loose poop, more than they normally have after drinking lots of water throughout the day, so I give them the melons in the mornings, by the time the go to roost, the loose poop is not that bad and the roosting boxes are easier to clean.
They certainly love to dust bathe on cool sand in the run, everyday I sprinkle some water in some spots under the fans to make it a little damp and also I do agree with not giving them ACV when it's hot and adding several pans with cool water
For sure! I mean everyone know what happens when one gorges on too much fruit, right? haha!

That's why I don't give them the flesh of melons, just the rinds (after I eat the flesh).......
.....I have a stash of melon rinds (and other veggies scraps) in the freezer to dole out in mid to late afternoons.

Back
Top Bottom