It's been a month...

Thanks so much!
I'll do that.
So....do you think a heat lamp (the ones you use for chicks) would work?
Also, are there any down-sides to candling...if the chick is alive, could such heat destroy any chance it had?
Once again, your help is invaluable, thank you so much.
Hydrangea H. Turner

welcome-byc.gif
You can use a flash light and use a paper towel tube or a toilet paper tube and put the pointy end in one end of the tube and shine the flaslight in the other end. I made a candler out of a shop lamp with a piece of cardboard with foil on the side near the light so it wouldn't burn. I put an 85 watt halogen light in it I cut a hole in the middle of the cardboard large enough to set the pointy end of an egg in. It works great. I made the hole in my lamp a little smaller for candling Pheasant and quail eggs.
IMG_3076.jpg
IMG_3079.jpg
chickegg-1.jpg
IMG_3082.jpg
IMG_3084.jpg
IMG_3088.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg
IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3085.jpg

Last edited:
Sad News....
I made a little candler, and I looked at 4 of the eggs through it. 2 I kept just in case. The 3rd didn't look right, so I cracked it, and sure enough it was about a 6 day old chick (embryo) with a circle of blood around it. So it was dead. The 4th also didn't look right, so I cracked it and it was rotten--never even fertile.

Then came the 5th one. It looked just like the first 2. But (silly me!) I decided to crack it any way, as I was sure it would be dead. So I did. And guess what? It was alive! The yolk was just going into its tummy. It was a perfect chick. It probably would have hatched tomorrow. The air-sack was not popped so the chicky had no chance--it died within a few minutes.

I guess it was a good lesson learned--and I guess it means those other ones will probably hatch.

Last edited:
Good news!
========
There is a crack in one of the eggs, and when I pick it up I can feel the chick moving, and I can also hear it (and some other ones as well!) cheeping!

There mom (Judith) is taking a dust-bath currently, but whenever she needs a break one of my old english game hens (Susan) helps out. :eek:)

-Hydrangea H. T.

Back
Top Bottom