It's Day 18 - Hatch on April 8th!

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
It's day 18 already - the time flies! I took the eggs out of the turner this morning and placed them on the shelf liner over the wire. Last time I did the egg carton hatch - this time I'm doing the conventional way of laying them on their side due to having 30 eggs.

I finally decided to ditch my Amish egg #1 which I had been on the fence about - could not determine if it was developing or not but candled this morning and it just didn't look right - I cracked it open and the chick had quit so I was right to follow my gut feeling and let it go because I didn't want to jeopardize the developing egg.

This should be fun - I am looking at 10 Black Jersey Giants, 10 Buckeyes and 11 White RockxGolden Buff eggs to start rocking and rolling on Tuesday.

Stay tuned - I will update and post pictures. Can't wait to see this batch of fuzzybutts - especially Dave'sBuckeyes!

wee.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

I am also on Day 18. Small hatch here, 7 Welsummer eggs.

This is a tricky one for me as I am trying to do a simultaneous hatch ( I have 14 eggs on day 5). This morning I built a little cardboard "frame" that I put in the incubator around my Day 18 eggs. My day 5 eggs are in the turner. The frame will prevent the hatched chicks from getting in the turner, and keep the mess at a minimum.

I am so excited! I haven't hatched since last spring and I had forgotten how exciting it was!

fl.gif
Sending great hatching vibes your way!
I'm looking forward to your updates & pics!
pop.gif

Thanks everyone - I was able to get the humidity to 59% - that with filling the wells completely, adding a sponge and placing a cup of water in the LG Still Air - any suggestions on how to make it go higher?

I think the last 3 days might be as hard as the first 5 or 6 when you can't wait to candle and see if there is a sign of life!

We are on Day 20 and had one start pipping yesterday at about 1pm. It finally hatched at about 9pm. That silly chicked peeped and chirped all night! It was hatching on Day 18 when we candled. We have another one that pipped during the night and is trying to unzip. We have a video of the first hatch...

And here is a picture shortly after hatching...

IMG_2693.jpg

Back
Top Bottom