It's Official...

Aww
sad.png
sorry you lost Miss Peggy.

I've been tossing around the idea of ordering some Jumbos too, probably keets because my incubators are all full/busy and will be until Sept, lol. Since I finally cow-girled up and have started processing my flock culls and extra males I wouldn't mind raising birds that have a little more meat on them. Processing a Guinea is a lot of work for such little pay off (my regular sized birds only weigh between 2.5-2.75lbs on average after they are processed), lol. Bigger eggs from the Hens would be a plus too. I am not that fond of the Pearl Grey color tho, so I'm not sure if I really want to start that whole breeding project or not.. tho I'd love to have some Pied Jumbos in a bunch of colors.

Aww
sad.png
sorry you lost Miss Peggy.

I've been tossing around the idea of ordering some Jumbos too, probably keets because my incubators are all full/busy and will be until Sept, lol. Since I finally cow-girled up and have started processing my flock culls and extra males I wouldn't mind raising birds that have a little more meat on them. Processing a Guinea is a lot of work for such little pay off (my regular sized birds only weigh between 2.5-2.75lbs on average after they are processed), lol. Bigger eggs from the Hens would be a plus too. I am not that fond of the Pearl Grey color tho, so I'm not sure if I really want to start that whole breeding project or not.. tho I'd love to have some Pied Jumbos in a bunch of colors.
Yep she got caught between the chainlink and some plastic netting. The downside to not living at home... Sigh.

I want the bigger ones for the very same reason. Plus the chance to breed jumbos of color. I also still want to buy a pair or trio of Reichenow's. They are purported to be quieter in general and non domesticated. So a a possible cross might be a good experiment. They are also Helmeted Guinea fowl just a different branch. So a cross would not be a mule hopefully.

deb

Thanks critters
smile.png
Laying season is off to a weird start here tho... these keets are from eggs from some of my 2 and 3 yr old Hens (3 separate flocks), and not all the Hens in each of these flocks are laying either. I have not collected one single egg from my new flock with pullets from last yr's hatches yet (my youngest flocks are usually the first to start laying each year, but not this year). Might be a weird year for everybody... we'll see.

Just pulled the last keets from Hatch 3 out of the hatcher this evening... will get pics of them tomorrow once they're all nicely fluffed up.

Hatch 3... There's 27 in the bucket this time, looks like 28 is the bucket's maximum occupancy
lol.png

More on the way... 4th batch of eggs went into lock-down last night
wee.gif

Hatch 3... There's 27 in the bucket this time, looks like 28 is the bucket's maximum occupancy
lol.png

More on the way... 4th batch of eggs went into lock-down last night
wee.gif

Adorableness!
love.gif

I have someone who will take mine if I can't find anyone else, so now I can relax and enjoy my own hatch on the 20th!

Back
Top Bottom