It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Tomato Soup for Canning recipe, better than commercial!

8 pounds ripe tomatoes **unpeeled & quartered (I use multiple types: grape/beef-steak/early-girl/sauce...makes for great-unique flavor.)
1 cup celery, diced
1/2 cups onion, diced
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped..*I have used dried also 2-3 Tablespoon
6 bay leaves, whole
3/4 cup ultra-gel, sure-gel or thermo-gel, any canning thickener (not corn starch)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 Tablespoon salt (optional)..*I use canning salt or sea salt
1/4 cup sugar (optional)..*I use brown sugar

Place tomatoes, celery, onion, parsley, and Bay leaves in large pot.
Cook gently, uncovered, until tender, stirring as needed. I like to cook till 1/4 reduced.
Remove all Bay leaves

*Next step, 2 methods:
#1 Press through a food strainer or sieve into a large sauce pan/pot.
#2 My method: put cooled mixture into blender and puree' till smooth.
I work in batches of course it is a lot of "soup".
I then pour the pureed' mixture through a fine sieve to "catch" any particles
The soup the is strained into the large pot should be smooth like commercial soup. From time to time I have to rinse off the strainer.
Set aside 2 cups of puree to cool.
Whisk together Ultra Gel (thicker of your choice) & cooled tomato puree to form a slurry.
I continually whisk to make sure nothing burns/sticks to pan-bottom.
Add Salt & Sugar if desired.
When ready to make soup just heat with equal amount of liquid such as milk, water or chicken broth.
* We add just a little milk and sometimes a touch of butter.

When I am ready to can, I put them, frozen, into sink with lukewarm water, this allows for the skins to slip right off, quick rinse, drain and cut into quarters, continue with recipe & good to go!

TOMATO SOUP

1 ½ pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger

1 teaspoon ground cumin

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon salt

1 jalapeno or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste

STEP 1

Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often.

STEP 2

Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.

TOMATO SOUP

1 ½ pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger

1 teaspoon ground cumin

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon salt

1 jalapeno or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste

STEP 1

Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often.

STEP 2

Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.
Homemade tomato soup is delicious.

Some might think it odd or sound gross but my family love when I make this.

Pickle Soup
Ingredients:
-8 cups chicken broth
-2 1/2 lbs of potatoes
-2 cups of chopped carrots
-1 1/2 cups of chopped pickles
-1 cup of flour
-1 cup of sour cream
-2 cups of pickle juice
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
-1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (Optional!)

Directions:
1. Combine broth, carrots, and potatoes in a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fork tender. Add the pickles and continue to simmer.

2. Whisk together the sour cream and flour in a bowl to make a paste. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot broth from the pot, whisking until smooth and creamy.

3. Pour the creamy mixture into the pot and whisk until smooth. Stir in the pickle juice, salt, and pepper.

4. Cook for 5 more minutes, to thicken slightly, and remove from heat. Scoop into bowls and garnish with additional pickles and/or fresh dill. Enjoy!

I'm actually cooking this up tomorrow!
I'll share photos of it after it's finished.

Some might think it odd or sound gross but my family love when I make this.

Pickle Soup
Ingredients:
-8 cups chicken broth
-2 1/2 lbs of potatoes
-2 cups of chopped carrots
-1 1/2 cups of chopped pickles
-1 cup of flour
-1 cup of sour cream
-2 cups of pickle juice
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
-1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (Optional!)

Directions:
1. Combine broth, carrots, and potatoes in a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fork tender. Add the pickles and continue to simmer.

2. Whisk together the sour cream and flour in a bowl to make a paste. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot broth from the pot, whisking until smooth and creamy.

3. Pour the creamy mixture into the pot and whisk until smooth. Stir in the pickle juice, salt, and pepper.

4. Cook for 5 more minutes, to thicken slightly, and remove from heat. Scoop into bowls and garnish with additional pickles and/or fresh dill. Enjoy!

I'm actually cooking this up tomorrow!
I'll share photos of it after it's finished.
Did you get the job?

Back
Top Bottom