It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Anyone have a recipe for homemade tomato soup?
TOMATO SOUP

1 ½ pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped

1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt

1 jalapeno or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste

STEP 1

Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often.

STEP 2

Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.

No recipe on hand, but I've made tomato soup before and it was delicious. If your looking for a traditional tomato soup similar to (but of course better than) Campbell's tomato soup you want to find a recipe for tomato bisque. This would be rather similar to what Penny posted, but add some heavy cream and puree it all when done. Some even go to the length of running it through a sieve or food mill, but I prefer not to. Another nice touch is to fire roast the tomatoes, garlic, peppers and onion first.

I love soups of all kinds! But I never use a recipe. A few things I almost always add: a pat of butter for sweet creaminess; a drop of liquid smoke, because... liquid smoke; and instant potato flakes for thickening. Almost all soups start with homemade bone or vegetable broth - but I add flavor with "Better than boullion" soup base, as needed.

I love soups of all kinds! But I never use a recipe. A few things I almost always add: a pat of butter for sweet creaminess; a drop of liquid smoke, because... liquid smoke; and instant potato flakes for thickening. Almost all soups start with homemade bone or vegetable broth - but I add flavor with "Better than boullion" soup base, as needed.
Homemade broth/stock definitely makes the best soup. There's almost always turkey stock in our freezer and sometimes chicken stock. I also make a mixed stock sometimes with whatever I have. We keep gallon bags in the freezer of bones and then eventually dump them all into a stock pot.

Back
Top Bottom