Ive had enough of that school!

I put the straw in thats why its clean and i took the water bowl out to change the water

I know im thinking of reporting them otmmorow, ive been over today give them some food and water they were happy to see me actually :), there was some laying eggs i really want to take the eggs. and its the easter holidays now and it started on friday and its now sunday and no one has once been to check or feed them all the eggs are still there the water hasnt changed no sign of food
If you are the only one caring for them at certain times, collecting eggs is part of that as well. Consider it your pay, or if that's not comfortable for you, maybe put them in your fridge until the "rightful owners" return to work. I hope you are able to provide them some fresh water, maybe food, too. It's not technically your responsibility, but I am so glad you've decided to take it on. (How is the one hen you said looked ill?)

don't waste your time talking to the school. they obviously don't care. go to the admin building. tell them you want this rectified immediately or you'll have a conversation w/the local newspaper. just be nice & matter of fact. it will be fixed that day & probably won't happen again. tomorrow is monday - make them stop this.
Yes, that sounds perfect. Go to the Board of Ed, and have on hand your local paper's contact info--or better yet, a TV station. Most of them now have some sort of "I-Team" feature. (That's how a friend of mine finally got the ball rolling about a bad intersection near her house--not chicken-related, but the principle's the same.)

johnn,
Since you are aware of problem and know and use proper husbandry techniques, why not be the responsible member of community that helps school do better. Simply having school / students lose privilege of keeping poultry will not be as beneficial as helping them do it correctly. I keep animals for educational and research purposes at the university level and work with K-12 schools attempting to do similar on smaller scale. The K-12 schools have serious problems I do not have, specifically they do not have students or technicians or self that come in on weekends and holidays like I do. The K-12 schools often have serious security related problems with weekend access because of student maturity and lack of funding for a technician. Offer to donate your time to help with weekends. As a responsible adult member of community, they may give such option consideration.
Actually, if you have the time, energy and inclination, this would be an excellent solution! You're already helping out unofficially; you could become a resource person/consultant if you wanted. Eventually, you could encourage them to even start a weekend volunteer care schedule with the students/families (a variation of the "who takes the hamster home this week?" that I've heard some classes do)
And if they don't seem responsive, then there's always the media option as bj taylor mentioned. Anything to keep these chickens well.

I really want to take the egg but it makes me feel like a bad person but then again the hens wont like sleeping on them ;), i have took it as my responsibility to feed them now and the one that looks ill get bullied quite abit i have to feed her seperate as she is to scared to go with the others

I need to go to the feed store tommorow and buy them some more food, i think i will take the eggs so then its like they are paying for there food

also, consider the fact that you feeding them can lead to Animal Control ignoring your reports. They show up, there is clean bedding, food and water. They leave and write off the complaint as unfounded. You need to document all the times that you have fed them. All the times that you have given them water. Not just with written notes, but with pictures and/or video

johnn,

Since you are aware of problem and know and use proper husbandry techniques, why not be the responsible member of community that helps school do better. Simply having school / students loose privelage of keeping poultry will not be a beneficial as helping them do it correctly. I keep animals for educational and research purposes at the university level and work with K-12 schools attempting to do similar on smaller scale. The K-12 schools have serious problems I do not have, specifically they do not have students or technicians or self that come in on weekends and holidays like I do. The K-12 schools often have serious security related problems with weekend access because of student maturity and lack of funding for a technician. Offer to donate your time to help with weekends. As a responsible adult member of community, they may give such option consideration.

Johnn I really think this would be a better solution to the problem.....next years chickens will also suffer....And the ones after that and after that and so on.....what if you are not around to take care of these chickens....teaching the school/ or who ever to take care of them would be a better solution than any other especially for the chickens year after year at that school. set something up with the school.

You will get a better response with honey than vinegar.
Our society already has way too much vinegar in it already.

Last edited:
why wait to report them? Have you told the school officials before about what you have seen? If so, then report them NOW. By taking the responsibility of feeding and watering the chickens, you are just enabling them to continue torturing the birds.

Absolutely - I have animal control's phone number stored in my phone. Animal Control officers are law enforcement officers and many times just them showing up to school administrators could get the desired effect - the birds are cared for properly or rehomed.

also, consider the fact that you feeding them can lead to Animal Control ignoring your reports. They show up, there is clean bedding, food and water. They leave and write off the complaint as unfounded. You need to document all the times that you have fed them. All the times that you have given them water. Not just with written notes, but with pictures and/or video

An important thing to note about feeding other people's animals...in some areas there are ordinances that would allow YOU to be charged with various violations from trespassing to a variety of other things.

I agree that honey will get you further than vinegar but I'd go the animal control route on this one...school administration needs to handle this correctly! Maybe it's in this thread somewhere, but is this a public school or a private school?

well they havnt done it recentley as far as i know but my friend has and alotment kind of thing next to them hens and his good got a stone threw at it and has a broken foot now, my friends poulty suffers more from getting thrown rocks at them than the schools does

Back
Top Bottom