Ivermectin for DOGS for Heartworms?

If you are so opposed to Heartguard and its dosage try one of the many other good products on the market that are more weight appropriate like Interceptor or Advantage Multi or Trifexis for your dogs. You should talk with your "progressive" veterinarian about parasite resistance and what causes it in particular I would question him or her about the MP1 strain of heartworms and why this strain is now found all across the country. There are many reasons not to dose your pet with a product intended for cattle but not many good reasons for not using a labeled FDA approved drug besides price. I have treated dogs for heartworms that have been on ivermectin recipes and I've seen more than 10 different dosages and protocols. Please use approved products it may save your pets lives, but may not save you a few dollars.

There are many reasons not to dose your pet with a product intended for cattle

Ivomec is not "intended for cattle"

It's simply a drug, like any other drug, and has been proven effective on many species.

To suggest otherwise isn't realistic

It would be much like saying it's better to pay twice as much to a Vet to buy Panacur instead of buying Safeguard, because there is a picture of a goat on the Safeguard bottle, even though they are the exact same chemicals

I don't doubt youve treated some dogs for Heartworms even though they were SUPPOSEDLY being treated with Ivomec, but what is far more likely is the owners didn't really treat them as often they should, but didn't want to admit it to you​

Last edited:
with bearfoot on this one.

its the EXACT same ingredient thats in heartguard...its not a concotion, its not a recipie, its ivermectin...
plain and simple...

my vet is happy with me using it, she suggested it (and even perscribed the needles because you cant buy needles here in ct without a perscription)
and i worked as a vet tech for years and have seen many other vets suggest this method too...

so ill take vet reccomendation over random internet person thanks.

I think if your doing it as a preventative and you do it with your vet's guidance then you should be fine. I don't think it will work for treatment of them though. I had a Golden that I had gotten from the pound and upon taking him for his first check up etc... I found out he had heartworm and he had it bad with a lot of adult worms. They treatment they gave him was a type of poison that kills the worms. I was told to keep him as inactive as possible for 30 days. I have to say I didn't do so good on that part as he was a hyperactive boy to start with but he faired fine and lived for many years after that. I know that whatever it is that they give them it is pretty potent!!!

Quote:
Ivomec is not "intended for cattle"

It's simply a drug, like any other drug, and has been proven effective on many species.

To suggest otherwise isn't realistic

It would be much like saying it's better to pay twice as much to a Vet to buy Panacur instead of buying Safeguard, because there is a picture of a goat on the Safeguard bottle, even though they are the exact same chemicals

I don't doubt youve treated some dogs for Heartworms even though they were SUPPOSEDLY being treated with Ivomec, but what is far more likely is the owners didn't really treat them as often they should, but didn't want to admit it to you

The logo on a bottle of "Ivomec" is a cow head, I will disagree politely and say it plainly states on the label it is INTENDED for cattle and swine. I understand the driving force behind the need to use ivomec on your dogs is cost, and the need to stick it to the man. I gotta tell you every wealthy vet I have ever known was born that way. It cost your average small town veterinarian over 2,000 dollars a day just to open the doors for buisness. If they don't make income from products they sale they have to increase the price of services. If you own pets at some point you will need a vets services "something the net can't provide" the higher costs will then be passed on to you. Please don't let people make you believe all veterinarians are sitting around counting piles of cash, or that they all they want is your money. Its not such a glorious job believe its not all puppies and kittens. I'm not saying you can't use ivermectin as a heartworm preventative only that there are better products on the market that are safer and easier to use. A good part of the general public cannot dose a dog properly and this makes for dead or sick pets if you can do it thats great just don't play down the dangers.

The logo on a bottle of "Ivomec" is a cow head, I will disagree politely and say it plainly states on the label it is INTENDED for cattle and swine

The picture on a bottle of Safeguard 10% liquid is a goat

The picture on a tube of Safeguard 10% paste is a horse.

The active ingredient (Fenbendazole) and the amount per ML is IDENTICAL

The picture on the label doesn't change the contents of the bottle, nor the effect of the medicine

Ivomec is the active ingredient in Heartguard and Ivomec is what is in the bottle.

It can be used on anything from a mouse to a bird to an elephant, and the container changes nothing at all.

If you prefer to pay $10 for 250 micrograms VS $35 for 50 ML, that is your choice

Logically, it would be just like paying $10 for a few drops of gasoline VS $40 for a barrel full, just because you didn't lilke the color of the container​

Treated a ivermectin overdose today. 13 week old shih tzu weighing only 4 pounds owner gave it 1 cc ivermectin by mouth because she was mistaken. Seems she thought 1 unit meant 1cc/ml, so the dog seized all night and puked all over the place nearly died. This pet suffered so the owner could save 4$ on a dose of heartguard, they could have bought years worth of meds for what they spent saving its life. This is the major problem with online recomendations they don't take into account one's ability to understand weights and measures. If your vet recomends it to you they obviously see that you are capable and in need of a cheaper option. This is not for everyone and if you are confused you need to use the comercially available products, to suggest anyone could do it would be criminal.

For people that don't understand these measurements -- of course they shouldn't do it. But for the pet/livestock savvy person (and a lot who are on this site are) I really don't see a problem with it. I hope the puppy is ok though!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom