Janoel 12

I want to thank everyone for your encouragement and help. My evaluation of the Janoel 12 is this:
-It is good for about 9 eggs if you use the turner, several more if you turn manually.
-it is inexpensive and can be bought on eBay
-thus far the thermostat seems to be very reliable, but I have not figured out a way to increase the temp over 38*C. You can decrease it.
- the instructions that come with it are incomprehensible.
-it is easy to clean up
-keeping humidity stable is difficult(especially if you can't keep from opening it) lol
- you can't really see through it and that is the reason I was compelled to open it. There is no viewing window of any kind.
- But, because it is small it regains it's temp very quickly.
This is the results of it's first use and my first incubation

Set 9 eggs. 1 tossed for clear, 1 tossed for blood ring, 7 healthy chicks hatched. I did assist the last one(not sure if it was needed) but except for some bleeding from the umbilicus it seems fine. Most hatched on day 21. ( I had set them at noon and they hatched from about 10 am till about 2pm the next day)
I plan on trying a dry incubation on some eggs that will be shipped next month. I'll let you know how it goes. AREN'T THEY CUTE?
That's excellent if you had 7 going into lockdown and 7 hatch! Congrats!

Okay.... I have my second setting of eggs in this incubator. Although it will only hold about 9 good size chicken eggs in the turner, it will hold considerably more if turning manually. I have 15 Black Java eggs that were shipped. When I got them home from the post office I let them sit with air cell up for 7 hrs. Then I cut up sections of egg carton and cut the bottom out of each one. I put them in the incubator. The bator was sitting on a towel and I used the towel to tilt the incubator ever so slightly. Each time I tilt to the other direction I elevate it a little more. Hopefully any loose air cells can still stabilize. I candled, marked, and weighed each egg before I set them. I added no water. As it works out it is much warmer and much wetter in Tennessee right now. My hygrometer shows 35% and I think it runs a little low. When I candle and weigh at 7 days I will add water if needed. I only had one fairly loose air cell. Some that were saddle shaped and some that looked like they were loose on one side but attached on the other if that makes sense and some that were attached. The sender had marked the date that the eggs were laid and the freshness of the egg definitely made a difference in how the air cells looked.

Good luck with your next set of eggs. I just received the same incubator today. I'm looking forward to seeing your updates.

Thanks! Since these are shipped eggs I'm just as anxious as with the first ones. Plus I read all these other threads about heating elements going out and temp spikes. Keeps me worked up. One thing I forgot to mention was that if you use the turner you put them on the top rack but since I'm standing them straight up I set them on the bottom (hatching) rack. But I have the thermometers on that rack too and they are staying right about 100*. I think when I lock down I will lay them down. Not a lot of room in there.
When and what are you going to set?

I only have bantams. I ordered some Cochin and silkie eggs. :D They won't be here until sometime next week. Some will go in the bator, some under a broody. I can't leave it all up to my lack of skills. ;) I'm sure she will have a better hatch rate than me. I hope all is well for you so far...

I candled the eggs today, day seven. I haven't been adding water. I think most egg cells look okay. Some were possibility a little bigger than expected. I believe from my experience so far with shipped eggs, that if I get more shipped ones I will request to just get eggs gathered the day before and the day of shipping or possibly on day before that if more are needed. There just seems to be a big difference depending on the age of the egg with shipping. I could tell most were fertile. Some eggs were much darker and very difficult to tell for sure about development. I also weighed all the eggs and they had all lost 3-5%. Whether or not that is correct amount by day 7 I'm not sure. I decided to add a little water just in case.

Realized that my flash light battery was going so put in new batteries and could see much better. I have 4 that I'm pretty sure are clear out of 15. All the other 11 have wiggly life. One egg has a sloshy air cell as well. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

My incubator has continued at 38*C just like last hatch. My one thermometer has stayed at 100* F or a little less, just like last time. My other thermometer has been totally off and always low. But tonight I have a pip, right at 19 days after set. I didn't expect that . Thought if anything they would be late.

Back
Top Bottom