• No, this would not work for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't matter to me.

• I don't normally participate anyways.

• Total voters
Quote:
Maybe if we get each other, we can just swap without mailing.
lol.png

The chicks are doing great, BTW. Most of them are roosters though,
hmm.png

It can get -20 below here in Montana for sure I wouldn't even think about sending out eggs if it got that cold lol no way
smile.png
I've had eggs freeze at that temp and break lol in the coop even with a heat lamp on my hens o0 lol
Not sure how cold it gets in the airplane??? hmmmm
hu.gif

hu.gif

hu.gif

I think research must be done. lol

Quote:
Same here. I have had them break because they got so cold. I just got a Easter egger egg yesterday I wasn't worried about collecting them as I am putting them in the fridge but It cracked from the cold Had to let it thaw and feed to the chickens. I just can't see them hatching if they freeze. So I won't join in unless it warms up before the swap begins. Which I don't see happening.
hmm.png

Quote:
What temps did you have to freeze your eggs? I had 3 eggs in a hidden nest outside for 5 days before I discovered them and the temps at night were in the low 20s with daytime temps 30-40, a water dish 4 feet from the nest (on "my" side of the fence)was a block of ice every morning that week yet the eggs didn't appear frozen so I put them in the incubator and all 3 hatched.

well when it gets -20 below here they freeze and burst. So far though we haven't had those low of temperatures right now. It's been a warm winter here.
smile.png
If they freeze ya don't wanna set them for sure.

Quote:
Wow I couldn't handle -20 temps....I can barely handle our one or two weeks of 0 degrees.

What I'm getting at is this: Does anyone know what is the highest low temperature an egg has to be at to freeze? (does that make sense?)
Mine didn't freeze overnight with temps around 22-25 degrees. You'd think they would freeze at 32 degrees.

I'm gonna have to do a little experiment and find out for sure what temps freezes an egg. It's gotta get a lot colder here in MO before I attempt this. Today it was an absolutely beautiful 63 degrees. Felt like spring until I remembered it was the end of December.

Last edited:
My coop stays pretty warm, so I don't worry unless it gets down to single digits. When I collected eggs for the NYD swap it was in the teens so on the weekend before I shipped I collected twice each morning so they didn't sit too long. As far as I know most are doing pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom