Japanese Quail Color Calculator- Best Link

Pics
scrolling down through both maternal and paternal sides you can see there are many different visual colors, and even more "blueprints" behind the scenes.
it all boils down to math as to what they actually look like

now, what we call them is a totally different story, lots of good stickies here, lots of good websites. (not gonna turn this into a commercial advertising thread.)

I would like to discuss colors with someone in the know. I believe there are many people breeding out there for certain traits would like to know what their "blueprint" is.

any one care to share their secret formulas...I stick with the browns and whites, but I'm interested in the scarlets.

I'm a newbie to this forum and Coturnix quail. I went to a friends house who ordered eggs from eBay and picked 7 day old chicks by color alone. I basically chose 1 of each color chick or color combo chick she had. I was lucky and ended up with 5 females and 2 males. The one I like the best and would like to replicate and maybe start a pen and work on getting these to breed true is a hen that is a tux, top half being red with poor patterning at best, solid red on top side for the most part and solid white on bottom. I still have alot to learn and have read this entire thread and this is all so confusing to me. I'm am trying but not sure if she is Roux, Rosetta or Scarlett tux or if some of those words have the same meaning I'm assuming a Tibetan red has the wild pattern but with a red cast so thinking she is not that. I just now started collecting and incubating eggs. One of my males is a brown jumbo or standard wild type in color the other male is what u guys refer to as Manchurian I think being a blond color with wild pattern overcast throughout and maybe having a lil red in face and head. My question is, the wild pattern seems to b dominant from what I understand so out of possible males and that female I will get what u guys call an autumn something or a scarlet Rosetta not even counting in the pied gene. Is it possible to get birds from this cross that look exactly like her? I don't care if they r pied or not. If not what color male should I cross back to her out of the offspring to at least start the journey of replicating her color and eventually have them breed true. I know it would b easier to just buy more that look like her but I prefer to learn by doing. Please excuse me as being new to all of this my descriptions or slight understandings of any of this have made me come across as a tard? Any help would b greatly appreciated and from the last few post thought maybe we needed to get the thread to being closer to getting back on track anyways. If my descriptions of my birds colors make no sense at all please let me know and I will b happy to post pics of both the males and the female I referred too.

Btw I tried the quail calculator and was too ignorant to us it.

Last edited:
yeh, kinda glad I am colorblind...

I may leave the colors up to Robby...

but I am going to start with some Reds/Scarlets here shortly and cross them against my biggest male and female, along with a few other people, see where we can go with them.

we are eating this thing up... I would expect a "certified" Standard of Coturnix Colors to be out and about the web sooner than later.

worked on by "several" professional peers from around the country, its already in the works... one just needs to look in the right place.

thumbsup.gif
This is good stuff! Let me know when you have some 'bator space open.

Back
Top Bottom