Java Green peafowl questions

Most definitely will keep yall postes and once again that you so much for your help time and insight .. Shalom! Wish me luck 8 days yall and you might see a odd looking chicken and some spolding PC oy va...

Most definitely will keep yall postes and once again that you so much for your help time and insight .. Shalom! Wish me luck 8 days yall and you might see a odd looking chicken and some spolding PC oy va...

Definitely wishing you some luck!
fl.gif

If they are fertile you are going to have problems. I believe the chicken/pea eggs will hatch sooner that the full pea and she will either abandon the nest when the first ones hatch or stay on it and the first ones to hatch will die.

Picture find on the internet :

Not quite agree with the example of female's feathers !

Why don't you agree with the example? From what I understand the crest feathers of the green peahen are rounded at the ends and the green peacock's crest feathers are pointed at the ends. The photo clearly shows that and the peahen crest feathers from your photos look like the ones in the example photo just with different lighting. Are you saying the length of the colored feather portion in the example photo is not long enough?

My new green peahen is eating my male feathers, mostly his crest and chest feathers, any idea how to stop her? He seems to enjoy it, he will bring his head down for her and she will eat his crest feathers, now almost all his crest feathers gone!

My new green peahen is eating my male feathers, mostly his crest and chest feathers, any idea how to stop her? He seems to enjoy it, he will bring his head down for her and she will eat his crest feathers, now almost all his crest feathers gone!
In more than 90% of all cases feather picking starts when the birds are juvenile. When it starts, it is combination of boredom and play instinct. If you will not stop it immediately in this age, it will become to a bad habit and it is nearly impossible to stop it anymore.
My experience is, the only way to stop is to separate the birds. It was already several times the case that a juvenile bird started within the first two years with feather picking and I have always immediately insulated these birds for approx. 3 month. After this time, I put them back into another group of birds and the problem was solved.
This is why I recommended in this post
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/954691/green-and-spalding-chicks/30#post_14858797
that you should never buy birds which are showing obvious signs of feather picking. If you buy birds out of groups with feather picking, you never know how long this is already going on and in worst case, you never will be able to stop it.

When my clutch of Spaldings was hatched under my Cameo hen in 2013, all was well for about 6 weeks, at that time I had 3 left and in one day 2 of them stripped all the feathers off the third ones neck. I moved the bald one and the momma into a separate pen. All was well and she grew her feathers back, I kept her and sold her 2 brothers who never did feather pick each other. She spent her first winter in the heated barn with Fred her father, and she almost ate his entire train. She was fed plenty of protein, game bird crumbles with cat food and ultra kibble as well as milo and sunflower hearts mixed in. Fruit and peanuts as treats. I ended up moving her in with my 5 yr-old SP male and Roger a white male her age. I have seen her try to pick at the SP's train, but he yanks it away. Her father would just stand there like your male and seemed to enjoy her attentions. He has never had a crest in the 3 years he's been here, he lets all the hens eat it.

Fred with no crest as usual.

This was his train, notice all the tips are gone

I agree with Pfauenfreund, she should be separated. Male greens seem to tolerate this as I hear of many cases of it in greens and spaldings, perhaps a non-green would protest and she would stop.

In more than 90% of all cases feather picking starts when the birds are juvenile. When it starts, it is combination of boredom and play instinct. If you will not stop it immediately in this age, it will become to a bad habit and it is nearly impossible to stop it anymore.
My experience is, the only way to stop is to separate the birds. It was already several times the case that a juvenile bird started within the first two years with feather picking and I have always immediately insulated these birds for approx. 3 month. After this time, I put them back into another group of birds and the problem was solved.
This is why I recommended in this post
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/954691/green-and-spalding-chicks/30#post_14858797
that you should never buy birds which are showing obvious signs of feather picking. If you buy birds out of groups with feather picking, you never know how long this is already going on and in worst case, you never will be able to stop it.
I didn't notice any sign of feathers picking before i got her, she was looking normal and she had all her feathers, its the only hen i found for sale here in the last year.

I think she didn't get good nutrition when she was young in the pervious owner place, even his adults weren't getting good feed.

If i'm going to insulate her for three months this mean i will not have green chicks this year
sad.png
I could do it after breeding season, they have a big aviary now with plenty feed sources, i'm giving them almost every kind of feed you suggested in another thread.

Back
Top Bottom