Java Green peafowl questions

Thanks for the info. I found someone who charges a decent price for pure Java Green http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/Classifieds1.html, but it's probably out of the question right now. Someday I guarantee you, I will own and conserve pure Java Greens. Now I have a question about the Spaldings. I see sites that say Emerald Spalding 7/8 muticus, 15/16 muticus, and 31/32 muticus. I'm interested in one that looks almost exactly the same as a Java Green peacock, has a straight tail and crest, taller legs, and mostly has the aggression/temperament of a pure Java Green.

Thanks for the info. I found someone who charges a decent price for pure Java Green http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/Classifieds1.html, but it's probably out of the question right now. Someday I guarantee you, I will own and conserve pure Java Greens. Now I have a question about the Spaldings. I see sites that say Emerald Spalding 7/8 muticus, 15/16 muticus, and 31/32 muticus. I'm interested in one that looks almost exactly the same as a Java Green peacock, has a straight tail and crest, taller legs, and mostly has the aggression/temperament of a pure Java Green.

Keep in mind that high% greens will probably need heat as well. I love the look of the greens as you do and I purchased a 2 yr. old pure Burmese Green from a very reputable breeder several years ago. I chose not to purchase a hen for him because of the heat issue. We are in PA and we get very cold in the winter, we purchased a wired prefabbed shed for Fred so he could have heat, however I do not feel that a whole lot of people in our area would bother to do that. People around here tend to think they know all about Peafowl if they owned 2 India blues 20 years ago. They will also be sure that since their other Peas didn't need heat, these won't either. They also feel $25.00 is too expensive for a bird, if you know what I mean. I couldn't, in good conscience, breed birds that I thought would probably not survive their first real winter. So we breed only 50% spaldings with some other interesting splits. Fred is not at all aggressive, he eats from our hands and has no issues with us entering the pen even during breeding season, he does get a little more worked up over strangers than the blues do. So I would call him more "High-Strung" than aggressive. I chose a Burmese because they have more blue in the plumage and I liked that, we each have our own personal preferences when it comes to color.
big_smile.png

I am amazed and sad that for so-called mutations, which has so short-legged that they with the breast almost grind over the ground the people would like to pay more as for species-pure peacocks.
I think for a good pair realy pur Green Peafowl with different blood lines is a price from 1000 Dollar ok and for F1 or F2-3 generations from the wilderness about 1500 Dollar and more.

It is important to know from which country the peafowl were imported !!!!
If it possible please make good pics from the head the shoulders and the wings

But if you want really good Green Peafowl work with some breeders together and import of Pfauenfreund from Germany he got from me many good Pavo muticus imperator in differend blood lines direkt of Thailand the place of origin
" Then you know what you get "

I have not got these birds home yet but the paperwork the lady who owned them is in German,they are both imported.I don't know who they came from,or what species of green they are yet but she paid $2500 for them less shipping. The Peacock is 3 years old,not sure of the hen is 2,or 3 years of age. I hope to get the paperwork tomorrow and maybe by this weekend get them here. They are both mean,so my work buddy says so they will be put in my Taupe pen because I do not have to go thru any other pens to get inside this one.Taupes will be relocated. The hen has now laid 3 eggs,the past owner kept two of them and she laid one yesterday which my work buddy is to bring me so I can get it inside the incubator. I suppose if they are moved she will stop laying for awhile? And they only lay maybe 12 eggs an entire season?

FBC I am SOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!!
bow.gif
droolin.gif

Take photos of them! The best photos for us to see what subspecies they are would be good photos of the wings on the male and female. Do you see any scientific name on the paperwork like "Pavo Muticus Muticus"? I am sure Reinhold could translate the paperwork or you could even use google translate if you want to know what it says right away. I would also use Freidrich's photo comparing all three subspecies wing feathers as an idea of what you got. That photo is at the bottom of his page here and you can click on it to see it better: http://www.pavo-muticus.com/english/among-breeders/artenvergleich.html
The Javanese and Imperators can be harder to distinguish but if you have Burmese you will know because they will not be so vibrant as far as color goes. Their blue wing feathers will be more lined with blue than filled with blue.

Why is she getting rid of such expensive birds though? Can she not care for them or does she not like their aggression? If you don't like their aggression I will take them hehe...I always knew those metal trashcan lids I use to cover the cans of my bird food would come in handy if I ever had an aggressive bird(s). I am not sure about anyone in California with Javas but it wouldn't surprise me...I think there are a lot of unknown breeders out there. There are breeders in New York, Virginia, Florida, Alabama, and Washington that I have read about as being nice green peafowl breeders but who knows. Sometimes a breeder imports birds and then sends a few off to another breeder and there are always people quitting the hobby or at least quitting with raising greens.

Paperwork is definitely a good sign in my opinion. FBC another thing is if the birds have colored leg bands. I think the imported birds come with colored leg bands which can also help you tell what subspecies they are. Normally the colors used are green, red, and yellow.

Oops yes I should have edited that to be more specific...the majority of the wing should not have barring and even so the barring is a bit different than that on India Blues. The wings should mostly resemble that of a blackshoulder peacock.

Back
Top Bottom