Java Green peafowl questions

These tan colored primary feathers here, aren't the hens will have black stripes on these feathers and the males feathers will be solid?

This is a correct mark when the birds are older but, as chicks all are having barred primary feathers and some young males will have up to 12 months barred primary feather too. But as I mentioned the breast (neck) feathers are showing clear the gender with approx. 6 month.

Things like this happens all the time so many folks bred spaldings and first generation can look identical in so many ways but when you bred them together the blue starts showing in them as spaldings do not bred true, the breeder is most like going buy what they were represented to them at the time of purchase, just like you and unless they has kept some offspring to see how they tum out they may never know , it is most likely an honest mistake as i said when folks buy birds they are relying on what they were told just like you
High percentage spalding are very beautiful birds IMO i would love to have some here but i will not bred for spalding because i never want a spalding leaving here, then later on they are sold as a pure green and it came from my place bad JuJu IMP unless you produce different colors like Josh Nelson at the rocking BAB you know exactly what you have.

Last edited:
These are great questions to ask Minx Fox on here. She's done lots of research! Hopefully she'll come along and share her knowledge. :)
I do know they need heat in winter, not just an insulated shed. That's why when I was looking into getting Peas, I went with IB's and not a high % Spalding as I talked to a breeder about that and I don't have a heated barn here in Montana. Not many people raise pure greens...pure are more rare and that's why the price is so high....there are quite a few spaldings though if you want to go that way. That might help with the price, and they may not be as aggressive as I've heard some pure greens get.
Good luck and hope others on here can help you more! :)

These are great questions to ask Minx Fox on here. She's done lots of research! Hopefully she'll come along and share her knowledge.
smile.png

I do know they need heat in winter, not just an insulated shed. That's why when I was looking into getting Peas, I went with IB's and not a high % Spalding as I talked to a breeder about that and I don't have a heated barn here in Montana. Not many people raise pure greens...pure are more rare and that's why the price is so high....there are quite a few spaldings though if you want to go that way. That might help with the price, and they may not be as aggressive as I've heard some pure greens get.
Good luck and hope others on here can help you more!
smile.png
Thank you. I'll send her a note and follow. I think i'll do what Reinhold said and get some type of heater, as long as it won't be a fire hazard (probably not, i'm just always paranoid), and have the house insulated with good windows for air. I am not interested in spaldings at all, and I only want Pavo-muticus-muticus. I just want them to have the natural beautiful Java Green color, completely straight crest, and straight tail. Their blood doesn't have to be 100% pure, just enough to look like a normal Java Green. I don't know how much we'd be willing to pay for Java Greens, because i'm only the son and don't know how much we're able to invest. But i'm thinking $180-225 each for 1.5-2 year old Java Greens would be a good price. And for peachicks $100 each for a 3-week old sounds great for our budget. But as I said before, I really wouldn't know if we'd be able to afford all that this year. We still have to get 2 Emu chicks for $150 and order a ton of chicks. There are some coops that need to be built too.

Many questions, I try to give you some answers.

1. If a heating is needed I cannot say. I don’t know what low temperature you have in winter. Inside of the barn you should have minimum +5°C. If you have a well isolated barn, a small electric heater 500W with a thermostat will be enough. I had the same at the beginning.

2. This is a difficult question. I would say you will find more aggressive greens that IB’s. I have more tame greens, but I have also aggressive once. In general I recommend that you keep them (1,1) this makes it much easier.

3. I don’t know the prices in US, but when you are looking on the price then you will not get good pure greens.

4. It is up to you what you are ready to pay.

5. You have to search

6. As far as I know, there is no big difference between the species.

7. It is always mentioned that the PMM are the most colorful PMI a little less and the PMS are even more less. But based on all the pictures what I have seen you can for sure not make this difference between PMM and PMI. I have same PMM as you have in US and I have imported PMI from Thailand and when you look on my web side www.pfauenfarm.de you will see there is nearly no difference.

Many regards
Reinhold
I have visited your website a few times before and I love it! Your birds really are beautiful. Do you raise any other really rare or unusual birds besides Java Green peafowl? I'm also a huge pheasant fan and vulturine guineafowl fan. Those 3 species of Green peafowl really do look mostly the same, but I agree that muticus-muticus is the most beautiful. Supposedly they also have the best bloodline out of the 3 species in America. I think i'll do what you said and get some type of heater, as long as it won't be a fire hazard (probably not, i'm just always paranoid). 6 years ago my barn that I loved since a child burned down from a woodchuck getting into the wall wiring, but that will definitely never happen again. It's because the building was old and the walls were vulnerable. The new coops we build are of great quality and I always force my dad to add tight security measures against predators and diggers. There is something I have always been wondering about peacocks, why do they always like to make a clicking sound in their throat? Does it mean anything in terms of communication with other peacocks?

Their blood doesn't have to be 100% pure, just enough to look like a normal Java Green.

Any green that isn't 100% pure is a spalding...

I don't know how much we'd be willing to pay for Java Greens, because i'm only the son and don't know how much we're able to invest. But i'm thinking $180-225 each for 1.5-2 year old Java Greens would be a good price. And for peachicks $100 each for a 3-week old sounds great for our budget.

Others will be able to give you a better idea about pricing, but I think you may have to add another zero to get into the pure green price range!
I found these links to be really helpful, thanks. Do you own any mostly-pure Java Green (non-spalding)?

No greens here, only IB and IBBS...
But I do admire them!

Back
Top Bottom