Java Thread

Honestly what I was looking for is someone who has tried the crossing. I would like to know some breeder input as some in other breeds say breeding mottle carrying blacks to mottles produce the best color. I am wondering if multiple generations of mottles to mottles have caused some coloring issues for people. There are some mottles out there that I have seen with good SOP coloring, and I am wondering if they are using any black mottled carriers. I assume they are being picky about coloring and culling as well.

There is a way a gene interacts on paper and then they way breeders "anecdotally" experience them. Both insights are useful. Breeders of horses that come in grey and black won't breed grey to grey to grey for multiple generations on end as it will create colors that wash out easily. Breeders of roan and red cattle won't breed roan to roan for generations on end either. I am curious if there are is a similarity in this with Javas. Clearly color isn't the easiest thing to breed for otherwise it wouldn't cause so much aggravation.
I would really head over to the Heritage Large Fowl thread for the info you're looking for. Most Java people on this thread are either just owners or casual breeders, or they just haven't had Javas long enough.

There are some members of the Java association that I electronically converse with, that are a bit more serious about keeping notes and we share info about things like colors, breeding, etc.

One for the chicken team! Thank you DH
hugs.gif

Are there any Java experts here? I have a black Java that has some copper coming in on his neck and side. I need to know if this is a huge flaw.

Are there any Java experts here? I have a black Java that has some copper coming in on his neck and side. I need to know if this is a huge flaw.

Depends on what you mean by "flaw".

If you plan on breeding Black Javas to the SOP or showing that particular bird, then yes, that is a flaw and will get a bird disqualified in a show.

Old literature from the late 19th and early 20th century recognized that both Blacks and Mottleds could show "red" or "straw" colors in their feathers - particularly starting in the hackles.

I have read one old author that reported some breeders felt that if a Java with "red" in its feathers wasn't bred into the flock every so often, then the black feathers could become a little duller instead of being that pretty beetle green.

If you are interested in breedings some Auburns, then I wouldn't consider the copper feathering to be a flaw. Auburns are not admitted to the SOP but they are around, as are some more colors that are starting to show themselves now that more people are not killing off every Java that shows some non-standard coloring.

We have had a few juvenile Blacks pop up with that coppery brown color interspersed in the black feathers. We also have a handsome Mottled cockerel who got rid of his mottled feathers and now sports black feathers (except for a few white wing feathers) and he has the most awesome gold feather accents.

Depending on your perspective, that coloring could be a flaw or the start of your Auburn flock.

I am interested in getting into Javas and have a few basic questions:
  • Does anybody have a reputable source for Javas?
  • If you breed Mottled Javas, what are the chances that you will get solid-colored offspring?
  • Are there enough unrelated Javas available that I can get genetic variability in my flock? Is this a concern?
  • If I get Mottled Javas from two different sources, is the gene pool sufficiently dispersed such that it would be unlikely the two batches are related to one another?

I live in Springdale Arkansas and my javas come from a poultry judge friend of mine who has had them over 40 years.I get $28 a dozen and $14 shipping.Joy berry had some of my chickens and i got them back.She has pic on here somewhere.I have 2 different blood lines of black javas and a line of white and auburn.

My lines come from John Tunstill who is a friend of mine and a poultry judge who was had these 2 lines for over 40 years.I live in northwest Arkansas,

Back
Top Bottom