Java Thread

Pics

usschicago1

Suburban Cochins
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Taunton, MA
I did a search and i dont believe we have a thread dedicated to the critically endangered Java Chicken! This is open for discussions of any sort that has to do with javas. Breeders, pictures, questions or anything java should be on this thread! Have fun

Sorry i don't ship chicks.Labo-- i have java roosters that get along with each other and some that fight all the time.The fighters go in the oven.Most all my roos are gentle.

Most people aren't willing to do the kind of reading/learning that goes into keeping and breeding much less knowing the history of a breed. I like that 4H starts kids out learning the history of their birds. Thankfully for me I can still ask some folks here that have been keeping birds for 40 years or more. I got lucky in some ways being in Maine. Erek N and Dr B Hawes, Barry N and a few others-- that man who won the NEPC with his RIR LF last spring is a club member here, Bob, are folks who have been kind in taking their time with me and my son, who is now starting to show. Finding people like this is a step that I don't think people are appreciating so much anymore. You can't know everything from a book and what works in the south isn't going to work the same up here. Common sense isn't so common anymore but it sure does help if you can find some of that too lol

Last edited:
Ah. I didn't know hatcheries sold them. I may call and ask the person, though. You never know!
wink.png

Tommysgirl is correct. Call and ask where they got their birds. If I remember correctly, there are several Java breeders in NC, including some that have been working on a Java preservation project, so it may be one of them advertising . But you won't know till you call. $10 is about in the middle for chicks from breeders. It can be hard to know and even then, the birds may not turn out as well as they should - sometimes even with the best looking parents, the genes of these birds can intermingle in weird ways and then not every chick will turn out as good looking as their parents.

I know how you feel - it took me a while to find anyone that had Javas they were willing to sell. At the moment I am still working on getting my breeding hens back to egg laying since they just finished molting and the days are so short now. Later next year I may have eggs avail but not right now. Lost a couple of hens this summer so am down to just 4 Mottled hens until this year's pullets are ready to breed.

Here's some people that I found on our Java Breeder's list and on the Livestock Conservancy's list that are closer to you so you can check them out:

~~Connie and King Phelps
27449 State Hwy 38
Elkton, Oregon 97436
[email protected]
541-584-2271
http://www.turksnmor.com
Mottled Javas, Black Javas, White Javas- ships eggs

~~Farwest Hatchery
PO Box 856
Aurora, OR 97002
Phone: 503-266-2566
Fax: 877-678-1649
Email: [email protected]
http://www.farwesthatchery.com

~~ Mkesha Clayton
Scio, OR

~~Sussie Due
Bend, OR

Duane's not any closer than I am to you, but he has more breeding stock so may have more eggs available - he is one of the few people in the country to have been keeping Javas since the mid 20th century.
~~Duane Urch Urch/Turnland Poultry
2142 NW 47 Ave.
Owatonna, MN 55060
507-451-6782
[email protected]
Call between 7pm and 9pm CST
Mottled Javas, Black Javas sells eggs and chicks – will ship them Ships Live chicks starting in January

I would contact them now - there may be a waiting list already, especially with Duane Urch. If these don't work out, let me know and we'll see what we can find for you, but it may be a while since most breeders aren't collecting eggs for hatching just yet.

If you decide to get serious with Javas, we'd love to have you join our group - Java Breeders of America

This is a great list! Thanks so much. I will see you areound the thread and hopefully by next spring I will have a few of MJ girls

Showing is important. I "discovered" javas at a show. Even though my birds are not likely to be contenders - at least for a few generations - I will show them so that other people have the chance to discover the breed, too.

We had 17 Black Javas in the Tucson show a couple of weeks ago. The Java folks met with the judge afterward to go over our birds. We all learned a lot. I am looking forward to seeing what progress we all make by next year.

I am either getting two Java pullets,,,if the logistics work out,,,or hatching eggs...so stinking excited! I hope they are a good fit with me and my flock. I can't wait I have wanted Javas for over a year and am thrilled that it is going to be happening soon.
wee.gif
I will most certainly be bothering you all with pictures.

Im really excited to find a Java thread. Im reading thru the whole thread slowly so forgive me if I ask a question that has already been answered. Does anyone here show their Javas?

My boy Hercules took Reserve American this past weekend and Im very proud of him

Back
Top Bottom