Java Thread

I'm on the other yahoo group too. Hi, nice to meet y'all.

The pictures in the "King's birds" photos look like both breeds (blacks and whites) have slate legs. Is it just my computer or does it look like that to everyone else too, and if so, here are my questions:

- I thought white javas were supposed to have yellow shanks and feet?
- Blacks are supposed to have slate legs and feet, correct?
- Can mottleds have all slate legs, or are they supposed to have some background yellow with slate interspersed and yellow feet?

I'm trying to compare the birds I have with the standard and photos....

Thanks!

Karen

This is from APA SOP
Black Javas
Legs: Lower thighs–Black slightly tipped with white
Shanks and toes: Shanks–Black or nearly black,
With a tendency toward willow, black preferred.
Toes–Same as shanks, exept under parts, which
Must be yellow; Bottoms of feet, yellow.

Mottled Javas
Legs: Lower thighs–Black slightly tipped with white.

I am new in BYC and having a heckuva time navigating and understanding the layout. When I am reading your posts I don’t see the photo that you are talking about. Is that something that I need to adjust in settings to enable?
You able to see other photos?

BTW :welcome
I’m raising Auburn Javas - same type and body standard, just different color standard for the most part

Last edited:
I am new in BYC and having a heckuva time navigating and understanding the layout. When I am reading your posts I don’t see the photo that you are talking about. Is that something that I need to adjust in settings to enable?

Welcome to BYC! I feel your pain regarding the site navigation. They made major changes to the site a while back and it hasn't been the same since.

Photos can disappear sometimes. They may get removed, or settings may change. But I think the post you quoted didn't have a photo. It was referring to another post farther back in the thread that did have a photo. And I'm not sure which photo it was referring to, or I'd point you there.

Just some photos I found:

47762_copy_edited_bj_rooster_om_2009.jpg

The Old Man Spring 2009

47762_copy_2nd_photo_om_easter_2009.jpg

The Old Man Spring 2009 he is a 7 year old rooster

47762_feeding_the_om_2009.jpg

47762_feeding_the_om_2009_02.jpg

Hand feeding

47762_bj_hen_2009_02.jpg

A Black Java hen Spring 2009

I thought you might enjoy seeing the photos.

javachick
Use some baby oil on their feet to make them smoother.

Fantastic hen and roo!

Bravo!

How’s it coming with your Java flock?
You raising mostly Blacks or Mottleds?
I have 10 Mottled Javas. They are now four weeks and mostly feathered. They are just adorable and really fun to watch. Their little personalities are emerging. Actually one of them is white, I understand it’s a recessive of the mottled. That little white guy developed wryneck and I’ve brought him back I would say 90%, with the help of KikisGirls. More on that later but I think I have a bunch of roosters in that group :) This is Jat’s first selfie

Attachments

• A54EAEF4-2E0D-49A2-A50C-618A229DCEC4.jpeg
    A54EAEF4-2E0D-49A2-A50C-618A229DCEC4.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 5
I have 10 Mottled Javas. They are now four weeks and mostly feathered. They are just adorable and really fun to watch. Their little personalities are emerging. Actually one of them is white, I understand it’s a recessive of the mottled. That little white guy developed wryneck and I’ve brought him back I would say 90%, with the help of KikisGirls. More on that later but I think I have a bunch of roosters in that group :) This is Jat’s first selfie
How dignified a look that one has :)
I ended up with 6:4 roos to hens.
Lost one hen this winter, I think to egg binding. Culled to 2:3 roo to hen with my intention of only breeding #2 roo if #1 is not able to produce fertile eggs.
Got some leghorns (since Auburn Javas are so hard to find) to lay money eggs and keep #2 roo happy. Just put the leghorns out in introduction coop in chicken yard. I said I’d Never brood in the house again but I did and the leghorns grew much faster than the Javas. Needed them out weeks ago but weather too consistently freezing.

Last edited:
Lost one hen this winter, I think to egg binding. Culled to 2:3 roo to hen with my intention of only breeding #2 roo if #1 is not able to produce fertile eggs.
Got some leghorns (since Auburn Javas are so hard to find) to lay money eggs and keep #2 roo happy. Just put the leghorns out in introduction coop in chicken yard. I said I’d Never brood in the house again but I did and the leghorns grew much faster than the Javas. Needed them out weeks ago but weather too consistently freezing.
Leghorns grew faster than
i know what you mean about brooding in the house! By 3 weeks mine were starting to roughhouse too much, trying to leap and fly, challenging each other, stirring things up to where the food and water didn’t stay clean. And they’re dusty in the house, felt like I was living in a brooder myself. They’re 4 wks now and in the coop with heat lamp and thermostat space heater. I can monitor the temp under the lamp and if ambient temp drops much, space heater kicks on to bring it up to 65. I’m happy and they’re happy.

Back
Top Bottom