Java Thread

Pics
Quote:
I, also, have "Auburn" Javas that I am working on. I got mine from Tamara (BYCer chickenlover54) last May. They are from Garfield Farm Museum's Black Javas (originally from Duane Urch) that showed the red gene as chicks. (For many years these chicks would have been culled for improper color but if you read the above link you'll see that Lyle Behl is trying to recreate the Auburns from the Blacks.) I got 6 chicks, 3 of each sex. One cockerel is in the freezer (3.75 lb at 17 weeks). One cockerel and one pullet now belong to a friend and I have the remaining cockerel and two pullets. Here are pictures of the cockerel, he has very little red showing. The first pic is of his back from the top and the second of the profile. The other pic is of the pullet with the most color, the other pullet only has a few hackle feathers that have color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_roo_back_width.jpg

Have you the SOP ?
I am no expert except will be with my own, but your bird's type looks OK< however he is young, correct ?
He also has mot=re than 5 points on his comb, and some say that is wrong...I dunno...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_roo_side_shape.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_henny.jpg

Any comments or critque welcome, my skin is thick, I can take it. Mary

Talk about strange.....Ester my Easter Egg Hen has not gave me a green egg since late July, maybe August? But I now have two going into the bator.....What in the world would I get out of a green egg and Sgt. Peppers?

Dad?
51397_pepper_and_gold_004.jpg

Mom
51397_lexi_chickens_and_sleds_002.jpg

???

"Have you the SOP ?
I am no expert except will be with my own, but your bird's type looks OK< however he is young, correct ?
He also has mot=re than 5 points on his comb, and some say that is wrong...I dunno..."

Chickielady, I am waiting on the new 2010 SOP but I do have the Java Standard from the Java website. He was 9 1/2 months old at the first of this month when the pic was taken. He had the best type and color of the three cockerels I had to chose from but he does have too many points on his comb. I will worry about that fault later. The second best is the one my friend took and will provide back-up if I need it. She also has a pullet that showed no color but will be hatching chicks and keeping the Auburn colored ones. The third was tall, narrow, showed no color and displayed a bit of a rough temperament so he's gone. Thanks for the comments. Mary

The old Java KING mentor of mine, has stressed to me repeatedly that the Cock MUST have 5 points.
I do not think it states that exactly in the SOP, does it ?
(I cannot drag out the books right now)
But if he did have a extra point, then what ?
Would he then just a 'point' knocked off his overall score ?
Or would the bird be excused from the show ?
have to ask Walt...

comb faults are relatively low--as far as losing points from judges. only disqualifications are no yellow at all on feet or more than 1/2" of white anywhere on body--so definitely any bird with a less than perfect comb would not be disqualified from a show.

re: bantam javas...i have one female that is small, quite small. several folks have suggested i try to go the bantam route with her...perhaps breeding her to a son who is small like her. she lays a ridiculous # of eggs too. if anyone is nterested in going the bantam route, i'd be happy to help out with eggs from her if needed. i am in the central part of the US, at the juncture of AR, KS, MO, OK.

i moved my BJ teenagers--13 weeks old--into the pen with the other BJs and i have been delighted with the way the adults have accepted them..almost liek they "know" they are their offspring/nephews/nieces, lol. i have often found that birds that are similar colors/patterns seem to have an easier time getting along when placed together than birds very different looking do.

they are so hard to get pics of now that they are out in the big pen...they like that freedom.

DSCI0058.JPG

DSCI0059.JPG

DSCI0063.JPG

DSCI0064.JPG

Hi Everyone- Just back from the Stockton Ca show. It was a great time! And unfortunatly, there were no Javas! But next year I plan to set up a nice display and show several birds.
So, there was alot going on in the last couple days on this thread.

haTHOR-your birds are nice looking! And you should take up the project of breeding for the bantum Java. But if you don't have the time, I am glad you are offering them up to someone who would like to take it on. There are not that many bantum Javas out there.

rsf31tmp- Your sargent pepper is beautiful. I have always wanted to take on this project. I just don't have the space. But good for you for encouraging it. As far as the EE and Java cross you will probably get some light kakhi colored eggs from the 2nd gen birds.. Cant wait to see them, and the offspring too.

I also read that some of you were looking for breeders around in your area. Have you tried the JAVA BREEDERS OF AMERICA club. It is a new club that we have established just for this reason. To bring Java related info to one place, to help people find, breed, raise and show the Java chicken. You will find a breeders list on the website that has many breeders on it. You just may find one in your area. There is also alot of info on there about the Java, origin and charactoristics.
As far as buying from a hatchery, I am not sure you will find out there true charactor from hatchery stock. I'm not knocking hatcheries, they just breed for quantity, which the actual temperment and character might get lost. Duane Urch is on the Java club website, along with some other good breeders. I just want to make a statement to clarify something. Just because you buy from a breeder doesn't mean you are getting show stock! It just means you are buying from a reputable breeder, and are getting something that you know tha liniage on. There are many good aspects about purchasing from a breeder, but hatcheries have a place too. And I do recommend purchasing from a reputable hatchory too, so do your homework. I would hate to see you end up wih a bad representaion of the breed and deter you from getting into the breed.

Please everyone check it out JavaBreedersofAmerica.com (there is a link in my signiture line, at the bottom) Also, membership is free, it is well worth it to get involved now. To have this type of info come right to you and all in one place too! We are also looking for district reps, please contact me if you are interested.

Also, haTHOR- you can post on the Java club website or the Java yahoo group that you have these small Javas available. There might be someone on there that might be interested.

It is good to see the interest in the breed, I hope it continues to grow.~ Tacey

Last edited:
Cannot complain about the weather for once, we have mild temps (cold 30s and a high of 50) and sun!!
Seems those in the midwest are getting blasted and feel bad for those in OK and north TX with the nasty bitter cold and snow.
Just heard the Chicago area is due to get 2 feet of snow ?
Good grief!!
I feel bad for y'all.
We are fine, birds are fine...computer is screwy and has warped enough to cause arguements, but hopefully it will get repaired.
Every so often I get a weird message from days ago.
DH is having the same problem with his cell...is it sunspots ??
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom