Java Thread

Pics
Popping in real quick here, all 3 broody hens have babies pipping (2Buckeye & 1 Java) each has 12 to 11 eggs !!!
celebrate.gif
Saw a little yellow face peek out from under 1 Buck hen....hear alot of tiny peeps !!!
celebrate.gif

Sorry to hear about your chicks dyeing bnjrob. A couple of years ago i had half grown cochins dyeing in a big coop with a wood floor.All of the other chicks where doing great.They where eating the sawdust that was mixed in the shaveing.They where never out of feed.So always get the big flake shaveing.

Eating the sawdust? I swear, sometimes I completely understand why people eat chickens and cows - they just aren't always the brightest things.

So far, I can't even get the chicks to eat any treats - Have tried all kinds of things (grains, mealworms, fruit/veggies, grass, yogurt) and they look at it and me like I'm crazy. Took a couple days for the 2 older chickens outside to figure out that they could eat the grass and bugs out there. I guess without having a mother to teach them things, the chicks just aren't adventurous enough to be willing to try any treats. And not smart enough to go to the other side of the feeder to eat when the big bullies get in the way.

Peeps update ........this is an haThor hen...and Bowen & Jersy Giant chicks !!

I am running out of wood to block them into or out of the next pen..............
th.gif

She is absolutely gorgeous in her constant hatch & feeding/protecting her brood~~~~~~~~~~~~~
love.gif

Eating the sawdust? I swear, sometimes I completely understand why people eat chickens and cows - they just aren't always the brightest things.

So far, I can't even get the chicks to eat any treats - Have tried all kinds of things (grains, mealworms, fruit/veggies, grass, yogurt) and they look at it and me like I'm crazy. Took a couple days for the 2 older chickens outside to figure out that they could eat the grass and bugs out there. I guess without having a mother to teach them things, the chicks just aren't adventurous enough to be willing to try any treats. And not smart enough to go to the other side of the feeder to eat when the big bullies get in the way.

I start my incubator chics on sand.they need grit anyways, and it holds heat well & does not ignite (with a heat lamp
wink.png
) This is especially so with turkey poults.talk about dumb...........they have no idea what to eat !!

I start my incubator chics on sand.they need grit anyways, and it holds heat well & does not ignite (with a heat lamp
wink.png
) This is especially so with turkey poults.talk about dumb...........they have no idea what to eat !!

That's a great idea! I may try that.

She is absolutely gorgeous in her constant hatch & feeding/protecting her brood~~~~~~~~~~~~~
love.gif

Great photos! I really am considering letting a hen or two go broody next year and letting them do the chick raising. That is, if I end up with enough hens. I'm starting to worry that all my chickens are going to be males....

Great photos! I really am considering letting a hen or two go broody next year and letting them do the chick raising. That is, if I end up with enough hens. I'm starting to worry that all my chickens are going to be males....

With these Heritage breeds, pure as they are, you do not "let" them go broody.....they will go broody when they want to & you've little say in the matter !
lau.gif

Adding that they do a knock down job at sustaining themselves.even the Cocks help out.

With these Heritage breeds, pure as they are, you do not "let" them go broody.....they will go broody when they want to & you've little say in the matter !
lau.gif

Adding that they do a knock down job at sustaining themselves.even the Cocks help out.

LOL - At least I won't be like others I have seen asking "how can I get my hen to go broody?" Now to just hope I end up with more girls than I think I have and we'll be doing good.

This is one of my favorite chickens. I think she is a mottled java. Would you please take a look and see what you think? I want more just like her, but want to make sure before I order. She was a freebie in a group of unwanted chickens, and the prior owner did not know what breed she was.

Thanks,
Cindy

Back
Top Bottom