Java Thread

Yay for everyone hatching! I started with 41 eggs but due to cold weather and fertility issues, I only have 4 left for lockdown. Thankfully the seller is being awesome and reshipping my order on the 13th :)

I started with 15 shipped, 4 were clear, 2 are under a broody, leaves 9 in incubator. All looking good at lock down but one. It was still moving but development has been weird so I'm not expecting a chick from that one but the rest look good.

So glad you are having good development. We shipped those just after a cold snap so I wondered if fertility would be affected, thus the extras :)

That weird one that I don't think will hatch is the "barn" egg you found. You sent it upside down. Not complaining but just as a point interest. When I first candled it I thought "no air cell". Then I found it at the other end. So I looked at the egg and sure enough both ends looked pretty much the same. Thought that was funny. The air cell was pretty wobbly. When it first started developing I thought maybe it would hatch but it looks weird now. All the blood vessels are pretty much on one side of the egg and chick looks small. I'm a labor and delivery nurse so everything about reproduction just fascinates me so I find it interesting to be able to observe their development when candling. Two more days, can't wait to see my little Javas.

Last edited:
Oh interesting! Yes I love all things reproduction too. Usually eggs are pretty easy to tell one side from the other...but sometimes not! I find it funny that BJs are so hardy that even an egg laid in the barn who knows when (I figured let's give it a shot and see if it develops) and shipped upside down would start developing at all.

Back
Top Bottom