Java Thread

Pics
Quote:
Ya this what Lyle and others have been breeding for and it is starting to pay off. I don't think I ended up hatching any of the all black. Although that would of been fine. I will take pics as they grow and show everyone what these look like. I received 18 AJ eggs and only two were infertile and ended up with a dozen chicks. First time I ever got shipped eggs and it was fun.
ya.gif

cedar, Great job with the shipped eggs!
clap.gif
I haven't hatched any blacks out of my Auburns either. I sent five Auburn eggs to a BYCer with some Icelandic eggs, he hatched four and none were black. My broody just hatched some with her brood and none of them are black either. My trio do not have the best Auburn color but aren't throwing any blacks yet. I have eggs in the incubator now as part of the Easter Hatch. We'll see if all of them are Auburn as well.

Hi Everyone -

I am moving and will not be able to keep chickens! What's worst is that I've been working on the Auburn Java (see this month's Backyard Poultry). I would hate to see this line be lost.

If you have ay space for breeding, PLEASE consider adding some of these wonderful birds!! I'm distributing hatching eggs from my stock. PM or see egg auctions.

Quote:
That has to be a pullet out of Maeve... That light color looks like her eggs! Is the pullet small? Maeve is 2/3 the size of my other girls and I hope someone will work on a bantam line out of hers. She s my best layer.

Not really, she looks about the right size.
I was thinking they were Minerva birds as I recall.

Java experts - need some help please!

Been planning for over a year for adult Java hens. Read tons, here and at the Yahoo Java boards....many winter hours spent reading, and reading, and learning, and planning....and now it turns out I'm likely going to be getting chicks instead! Whoops....WHEE! I'm thrilled and excited. Been planning on big girls, not bittie babes!

I know Java's grow fast, feather out fast, get big fast....so for a brooder, what do you recommend for size?

Since our coop is yet to be occupied by anyone, I'm considering puting a very large rubbermaid tub which we already have (I think it's 4' long by 2' wide and 2' deep) inside our coop with appropriate lighting for a heat source. The coop is well insulated, pretty good venting (for chicks at least) and predator proof. Then when they're bigger, I'll remove the tub and let them have the whole place to themselves (coop is 8' long, 6' wide and 6' tall).

Planning on keeping 8-12 Java hens...12 at most, 8 at least....a rooster in the fall (neighbors return to school then!). Unless of course, I end up with all roo's!

Anything particular about bittie Javas you'd like to share? (Tips, stories, etc.)

Thank you and I can't wait to start this adventure of Java ownership! Hoping for Blacks - my son's favorite color is green and he loved the green sheen on the feathers of these incredible chickens! But with bitties, can you really tell adult coloration?

Chicks will be adults with the same colors as their parents. All black javas will have some green and some purple sheen depending on light. One thing...I just moved my two week old birds out of a rubbernaid about the same height as they were jumping out. Better to use fencing or something to make a small enclosure inside your coop, as that is just too short to keep them for long.

Quote:
I was suspicious of this - thought the sides might be too low for very long...
jumpy.gif
...but I like the length of it. So I guess it's time to build a brooder height adjuster! Off to local hardware (again) to get more 2x stock of lumber. And wire fencing too...the sections I have left over are much too little - drat!

Someone should be buying stock in the company that makes wire fencing....we're certainly supplying a great amount of demand this season!
big_smile.png
And from the quantities of new members posting new owners....well, the demand is growing fast!

I am so excited for my Black Javas to hatch! I got 9 eggs form HaTHOR - ALL of which started developing - with only one early quitter so far! I candled them the day before yesterday and they are all kicking and happy inside!
big_smile.png

These are the prettiest birds and are going to be a great addition to my flock.

I've been reading on here about the Auburn Javas though and am getting quite interested. Does anyone have any pictures of some Auburns as adults? I'm having a hard time finding any.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom