JBS and Perioxide

dianer29

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
I tried searching for the blog that mentioned combining Baby Shampoo with Hydrogenperoxide. Just came back from picking up household and chickie supplies and I have my plastic bottle all good to go ,just need proper ratio. I need to have this in my first aid kit of which I am just starting to put together.Silkies will be 2 months old next week and out of brooder into coop with run as soon as we finish final details and could get a whole lot of boo boos.
Does anyone remember the information I am referring to,to cleanse injuries?Also
anyone have input on other items that are a must have ,to maintain the birds health and safety? Thank you !

I don't use hydrogen peroxide to treat any of my family members or animals' wounds or injuries. Instead I wash and flush the sight with Benadine, an iodine solution, used in hospitals as a prep before surgery or before a dressing is applied to a wound. You can get this at a drug store like Walgreens, and even WalMart. The peroxide is very hard on the skin and causes more damage then benefit.

Barrett Farm: is it Betadine? Years ago I used it when I worked on a surgical floor as a nursing asssitant.

peroxide is useful in some applications...to bubble out infections..etc..on initial use.

dilute the Betadine.

saline solution is also good for cleansing a wounds..then applying antibiotic or disinfectant.
(handy for using for prolapse problems, also.)

Blue Kote for livestock is useful for wounds and keeps flies away, preventing maggots.
wear gloves when using Blue Kote..it does stain.
good product.

sorry I can't help with the mix you asked about..

Last edited:
Yes your spelling is correct.

In my experience, I have some situations need different methods to clean. When I was young peroxide was tolerable but as my skin has aged, I can see the damage it causes. When I have to treat an injury, I try to be a helpful to the situation as possible and cause as little damage, but get the site clean.

Because I have kids, I am priveleged to some prescription antibiotics like Bactriban, Mupirocin and Silver Sulfadiazine Cream. All great to finish the fight and clean up the bacteria or grow new skin.

I use what I have on hand, follow my instincts and use my first aid (first hand) experience.

Back
Top Bottom