Joining two flocks and housing

Not sure if that was the right way to upload the picture or not but there it is. I'd have to make it 7 ft as I'm 6'5". How far down should I dig my hardware cloth around the perimeter?

Not sure if that was the right way to upload the picture or not but there it is. I'd have to make it 7 ft as I'm 6'5". How far down should I dig my hardware cloth around the perimeter?
Wooaahhhh !! You're going to HC that whole thing?
Don't dig down do an apron.
Corner mesh is out of scale in graphic, but don't for get the corners.

OR.....Build an 'Envelope' like I did inside my coop shed, 6 sides of HC suspended on 2x2 framing.
Check out 'My Coop' page link under my avatar.

I wasn't very clear about my intentions. See that white sliding door? I mean to keep the chickens to the left of that door. I plan on doing the apron only around the area the chickens will be housed. What I meant to ask was how deep do I bury the apron?

From the inside I plan on doing something like your coop with the exception of the floor. I plan on still doing an apron on the inside along with the divider.

Edit-I figure that's about 30x20 ft space. Should be plenty.

Last edited:
I wasn't very clear about my intentions. See that white sliding door? I mean to keep the chickens to the left of that door. I plan on doing the apron only around the area the chickens will be housed. What I meant to ask was how deep do I bury the apron?

From the inside I plan on doing something like your coop with the exception of the floor. I plan on still doing an apron on the inside along with the divider.

Edit-I figure that's about 30x20 ft space. Should be plenty.
Ahh....you don't need to bury the apron at all, I didn't mine and can mow over most of it without problem
Some I had to go back and bury a couple inches, after tearing it up with the mower....depends on how smooth you can get it to lay down.
I used 2x4 welded wire and went out 12-18" from run wall.

You going to put a wire ceiling on coop inside shed?

Last edited:
You can use the garden edging staples to hold the hardware cloth or 2x4 welded wire down while the vegetation grows up to hold it down for you. Mine worked well this way and now you would not even know it is there.

I cannot find the ones we used on the website. We got them at Home Depot. They are long and narrow used for the rolled top metal edging. Like 19 cents each.

I have the intention of putting a wire ceiling but may not get to it immediately.

Depending on how lazy I am I may get out the tiller and bury it shallow. Enough to just cover it up. My grass grows like weeds. I'm sure it'll fill in easy enough.

I have the intention of putting a wire ceiling but may not get to it immediately.

Depending on how lazy I am I may get out the tiller and bury it shallow. Enough to just cover it up. My grass grows like weeds. I'm sure it'll fill in easy enough.
If the ground is good and flat and the mesh lays flat, probably won't need to bury.
Might be good to mow very low before installation.

Got the supplies today. Made another bucket waterer with 4 vertical nipples. Will first work on apron then the divider. I found some scrap steel siding I may use instead of hardware cloth because it's free.

Back
Top Bottom