July Hatch-a-long

Question for you all - what are you running humidity at during your incubation (prior to lockdown)?  I didn't adjust it at all on my first hatch - I really just tried to watch the air cells and didn't even add any humidity until lockdown.  I'm wondering if I should try to maybe keep the humidity up a little bit more this time?

The strange part is that when my husband looked inside my flunker eggs, they seemed to fail at different stages...  I had some early failures in some Marans (couldn't see inside those so didn't pull them) and some later failures in a couple of gorgeous Silkies.  Hearing about those broke my heart.  :(

PS - HUGE hugs to chickydee64.  You are a treasure.  Thank you for your kindness.  xoxo

I try to keep it 45-50% first 18 days, & not get it above 55% or below 40%. First 10 days I kept 2 out of 3 vents shut. After that I opened all of them.
When they were in storage I turned them every 8 hours religiously. Checked on them every 3 hours in the incubator+ the times I'd walk by & check. They were in cartons so I barely touched them except to candle (candled day 7, 10, 14, & 17) My temps normally ranged 97-100. I did modify my incubator after this hatch & the humidity is much more stable. & there is only about a 2 degree swing 97-99ish (so far) hoping i dont have umbilical issues with this next batch..
pics here: Post #132 & #133
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804680/august-hatch-a-long/120

I am so sorry you didn't hatch more, you have a very tolerant hubby, so glad to hear he helped you out with the aftermath. hopefully you will be able to find whatever the problem is & correct it & get great results.. Remember the most successful people have overcame many obstacles!

Last edited:
I try to keep it 45-50% first 18 days, & not get it above 55% or below 40%. First 10 days I kept 2 out of 3 vents shut. After that I opened all of them.
When they were in storage I turned them every 8 hours religiously. Checked on them every 3 hours in the incubator+ the times I'd walk by & check. They were in cartons so I barely touched them except to candle (candled day 7, 10, 14, & 17) My temps normally ranged 97-100. I did modify my incubator after this hatch & the humidity is much more stable. & there is only about a 2 degree swing 97-99ish (so far) hoping i dont have umbilical issues with this next batch..
pics here: Post #132 & #133
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804680/august-hatch-a-long/120

I am so sorry you didn't hatch more, you have a very tolerant hubby, so glad to hear he helped you out with the aftermath. hopefully you will be able to find whatever the problem is & correct it & get great results.. Remember the most successful people have overcame many obstacles!
This might be part of the problem. We're a drier climate here in Idaho - I might try adding a little bit of water before lockdown and maybe try to get the humidity up a bit.

I did handle them WAY too often, I think. I've only opened the 2nd batch once and the 3rd batch I haven't opened at all. I'm going to see if that makes a difference in the outcome. I think all of that candling got me far too attached to some of the little eggs too, so it's probably better to just leave them be unless something starts to get smelly.

My sweet ScottyBoy has to be the most tolerant husband in the WORLD. I won the hubby lottery with this boy.

I forgot to add, I did keep a log

Question for you all - what are you running humidity at during your incubation (prior to lockdown)?  I didn't adjust it at all on my first hatch - I really just tried to watch the air cells and didn't even add any humidity until lockdown.  I'm wondering if I should try to maybe keep the humidity up a little bit more this time?

The strange part is that when my husband looked inside my flunker eggs, they seemed to fail at different stages...  I had some early failures in some Marans (couldn't see inside those so didn't pull them) and some later failures in a couple of gorgeous Silkies.  Hearing about those broke my heart.  :(

PS - HUGE hugs to chickydee64.  You are a treasure.  Thank you for your kindness.  xoxo

I had mine at 50% for days 1-18 and then 80% for the hatch. The breeder I got the eggs from told me to do 80% and then as I read more, I realized 70-80 was better, and even 65 is great. 80 is very high. Nonetheless, I had a hatch of 14 out of 17. Five frizzles and nine Black Copper Marans.

I only candled them on days 7, 14, and 18. I also had them numbered and kept a log.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom