Just curious who else is living super frugal

We garden (and this year I'm going to can), we get a couple of deer each fall and usually several hogs... It helps to process the meats ourselves and it really fills our fridge for the times when money is low.

Quote:
There are two soap making threads on this forum.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92933&p=1 and https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=480518&p=1

Making
your own cold press soap is not any more difficult than baking a pie. It is a matter of respecting the ingredients you are working with (the lye) and measuring accurately. Soap making can be an addiction, but a very satisfying one. I love the soaps I've made and would encourage all of you to try it for yourselves.

Here are a couple of soaps I made in the past couple of months.

68503_first_batch.jpg

68503_red_rose_thyme_1.jpg

68503_soap_2_5-16-11.jpg

68503_spiced_fig_w_turmeric_3.jpg

We have so many plans right now, I just keep praying they can all come to fruition.

So I spent $18 on our winter wardrobe this year. The hubby didn't need anything and he is still getting hand me downs from my nephew of new clothes he bought and then gained weight and now cannot fit into. I got 2 boxes for my little ones. My oldest son actually got a ton of hand me downs from his daddy. He has grown so much. eeek My daughter was the neediest of the kids but still had a pretty good winter wardrobe going. I always take care of myself last so mine wardrobe was down to desperate. We have bag sales at the local hospice shop. I got lucky. There were so many beautiful clothes, a ton of it name brand, and some even with tags still on them. You fill the each bag and it costs you $6. I probably came home with 40 or more items of clothing.

Right now we are living with my parents again. We put up our house for sale in the city and I pray daily it will sell. Hopefully between what we make on the house ( its priced low but my parents had sold it to us cheap so we still make a little) and what we save up we will build a house. Partially earth sheltered. Its going to be compact but big enough to fit us. I am trying for that happy balance of comfort and efficiency. No heater or air conditioning. Whole house fan and a wood stove will have to do. We are going to hit the restores and craigslist looking for deals. We already own the property it will go on so thats taken care of. We are shooting for no mortgage. Hopefully with no mortgage we can maybe find a way to get a bit more off grid. I am not super eco friendly I guess but I am super pocket book friendly. My wallet has a very loud voice.

I set up a very strict budget for the next 6 months to pay off all our debt except my student loans ( just started paying on those so they will take a year or so) and to start the house savings.

The garden in planted and now its up to the whole family to help with it. The chickens are laying like little mad things and so are the ducks. I am going to sell my extra duckies this year but we might keep a couple for special meals. We did splurge and bought a very nice used pool from a neighbor for 400. It was honestly a steal. It was super well taken care of but when the kids moved out they decided to get rid of it. They had just replaced a bunch of it too. We are installing it ourselves. Its worth it though. We cannot afford to drive a ton to the lake, or creeks, or water parks. We can spend our summer happily swimming at home. My brother has a ton of extra lumber and he donated it to the kids so they could build themselves a fort in the woods too.

I also decided to go back to doing taxes during the tax season. I have my accounting degree in roughly 5 year experience already. I considered doing it out of my own office but there are so many changes and regulations in the works. I am going to spend my summer studying to become an enrolled agent so hopefully I can make the most of my working fulltime for 3 months and maybe have the opportunity for a bit during the year too. That allows me to still spend 9 months at home with the kids. Will make homeschooling a challenge though. The family already agreed to pitch in though.

I would love to make my own soap but I just don't see where I will have the time right now. I keep trying to fit more stuff in. I am running out of hours in the day.

were trying tooo not as frugal and tight as heather lynn but Im trying.. I try to only by needs not wants or desires.. I too bought a pool this year under 200. its one of the 16f 4f tall blow up ring pools.. friends said they had them and worked out great .. cant afford to go to the beach or lake.and the local pool is 200. but you can only swim on their designated times and its a drive to get there too.. trying to get set up to be at home the most.. gas is the killer.. my van is having transmission problems.. thinking about pulling the tag and just making the payments but not insurance. cant aford a new transmission just now..
my chicks are 12 weeks and under so No eggs yet .. but I am supper excited to have them start.
we have planted a mega garden this year biggest ever. hoping to can and freeze alot perhaps sell a bit and stay out of the food store produce dept.
we are getting broilers this sept with the 4 h so that will be our freezer chicken for winter ... i still have venison in the frezzer from lst winter..

our bills are easy.. I guess. I hope... house payment , 2 car payments and full insurance on both vehicals ( that the killer) power water and phone.. land is paid for, I help my mom out as much as I can.. she is not good at the want need desire buying though.. she buys what ever when ever.. ahhhhh NO mom NO>>

Ive been trying to figure out this couponing deal.. I just can figure it out.. so I got to Auldi, bargans food store, save alot food store. etc. very rarely do I buy from a big chain..

I'd say that food is our biggest expense. 6 people .. husband works full time thank goodness and I am disabled. but were making it.. as long as we dont split up we can make it.. but alone.... wouldnt happen. its hard to stay happy and upbeat when your struggling to make everything work..

blessed be to all )O(
Pink

Quote:
There are two soap making threads on this forum.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92933&p=1 and https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=480518&p=1

Making
your own cold press soap is not any more difficult than baking a pie. It is a matter of respecting the ingredients you are working with (the lye) and measuring accurately. Soap making can be an addiction, but a very satisfying one. I love the soaps I've made and would encourage all of you to try it for yourselves.

Here are a couple of soaps I made in the past couple of months.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/68503_first_batch.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/68503_red_rose_thyme_1.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/68503_soap_2_5-16-11.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/68503_spiced_fig_w_turmeric_3.jpg

thanks for the heads up on the soap threads.. Im there now.. hahah..
)O(
Pink

Pink, I think that once people find that saving can actually be a bit fun it takes the stress out of it. We sat down together and discussed these changes before we took them on. We put down our goals and we determined that this was something we wanted to do together. My husband is my partner in this savings thing. You should have seen how excited he got over a notebook computer he found at goodwill for $5. It worked, it just needed software again. He uses it constantly. He is so proud of his little bargain. He hunts goodwill and such with me and lord help us when we find something we can use on the side of the road. ( 4 free huge animal cages like they use for rabbits all in great condition). Its sorta fun.

You gotta look at end goals together though. If you manage to cut back, if you can change your life style. So many new doors open up. All of a sudden things we felt we could not do because of money are becoming possible. It will take time but we have those goals always in front of us. We actively talk about them to keep from getting discouraged. We talk about this alot but it seems money puts such a strain on marriages. Not just the lack of either. I have family that makes a huge amount of money and they are so miserable with each other. No amount of fancy vacations, jewlery, or shopping trips can fix their problems. Amazingly money is always at the heart of their arguments.

Just sit down together and look at it all almost like its a game. Its a strategy game. What strategy will get you to the place you want to be. Do it together and for each other and it won't be as much of a struggle. I know its stressful at times but it'll get better. I just keep reminding myself of what I am wanting our life style to be. I want peace and security and closeness with my kids. I want simplicity. I know I want those. I mean honestly I really want those topaz earrings on amazon right now too but those can come once I have the other things. I am arguing with myself about that one tonight. The earrings will lose, they always do.

there is being frugal and then there are people that are down right cheap!
smile.png
the old miser, the person who swears they can take all their money with them in the grave!
smile.png

the person who can't spend a dime on themselves at all even though they want something reasonable cost in life. sure not me, I spend, but as with all of us, we must pick and choose what we truly want to spend money on to enhance our life and make us happy.
but at some point, part with a $20 LOL

just saying

Last edited:
lol.png
Off the grid, and off the plastic.. A true goal. Plastic is used here, all the time to get things accomplished, and parts bought for various needs and vehicles. Otherwise it is a hard look at most purchases. I yard sale a lot, dumpster dive alot, and build a lot. Being close to major cities I sell evrything from dog houses, to yard barns and chicken coopy things, from found and converted discards. I am selling gas masks, and motorcycle helmets, power tools and truck racks on Craig and the Bay. I make a bit off each thing, but it all adds up. No matter what road you take, stick to it, and make some milage count.

Be carefull on the insurance thing, dropping insurance is reason to call in the note, and that gets into court and lawyer money, with a blip on a credit report. I dont do well with payments, and usually pay of vehicle notes early with tax returns and windfalls. That is just me. Some states allow for a property bond, for public liability, but some people dont take that risk. Bottom line is you are never safe, but manage your money safely, it is controlled risk..

I am cheep, but give new meaning to the word of Frugal.

Last edited:
I am so looking forward to being off the plastic. I no longer use it but I have just a tiny bit more to pay off. Once the house is done and the debts are paid off we are going on a huge vacation. Thats one of those shorter term end goals that keeps us all pumped up. Some of the family from Mass. is coming down next summer and we plan on meeting up with them down there and really celebrating.

Check around your areas for local vacation deals. I just found some in kentucky that are staycation deals. 2 for 1 tickets to various museums and attractions. We like to stay busy so I am sure with the added bonus of discounts we will be taking a couple days between camping and such to take advantage of these.

cool.png
We take Daycations every now and then. We struggle and do chores and the weeklies to take a Friday or Sat, ALL to ourselves. Usually a movie, dinner out, or to some Museum or thing tha interests us. A good way to keep the mind fired up and working, and your butt in gear to make your goals. Remember a GOAL is but a signpost on the road of life, once there , it is about the getting and going

Back
Top Bottom