Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
Wow. So supportive. You might want to re-read.

I can't rent my house. My parents co-signed on it, and they don't want to be landlords. They have to agree for me to rent it. He won't rent his own.

He doesn't pay a dime to my household. He also doesn't pay for groceries, which both he and his son consume although his son is only there half time. He doesn't reimburse me for the gas I use every day he has his son to take his son to and from daycare (because he works nights and gets home at 4am, is asleep by 5 am, and doesn't "feel like getting out" to pick up his son from daycare after school). He doesn't pay for ANYTHING except his own bills and utilities... but wants me to sell my house at a loss to live in his house in a worse school district and most likely screw my parents in the bargain. I think not.

Back that truck right on up, because you are so wrong.

If you are content with him in certain things, there are things to put up with but those things are a deal breaker in the future marriage.

So whatever goal you have with him, do NOT ever give up your house just for him if he continues the way he is doing. It protect you, your family's interest and your well being and if he step outside cold, he would either wise up or fall flat on his face.

I can understand companionship but it takes more than just companionship to make a relationship a successful one. Hubby and I almost never fought about money or who spend what or what we spend on when we have a bit of cash to play with. With income tax refunds, first dibs would be the bills to be paid off, some will go to daughter and whatever left over even it is a hundred dollars, we like to split in half and spend what we want to spend even it is not something the spouse wants you to have but its spending money that he wants to blow on. Like him, he wants to buy model ships while I want to spend on chickens or crafts.

Quote:
Most of his issues are related to depression and service related PTSD. He is getting better. Some days I'm just frustrated because it's not where I want it to be... but it'll work out in the end, or it won't. I just know what I won't compromise on, and I'm going to have to live with that.

So I vented, and I'm going to keep moving forward and do what I can. That journal sounds like a great idea, so I dug out an old notebook that has paper left in it, and I'll use that. Getting paid monthly has changed a lot of my ideas about buying stuff piecemeal. Oh, and a friend just sent me an email to let me know that there's a place in the city selling cello strings on sale for 40% off through November, so that helps my mind a lot. Re-stringing a cello is expensive, but I can string it myself. I just need to buy the strings. I can also re-hair bows.
lol.png
The things we learn for our kids...

ChicMom - I get headaches when I suddenly lower the amount of caffeine too. When I am trying to lower my caffeine intake I usually lower it by only half for the first three days and then I might half it again - I don't get headaches if I do it this way.

Try this if it fits your budget.

Homemade iced coffee a la McDonalds
brew a pot of double strength coffee - put in the fridge to chill overnight (you won't be rushing in the morning.)
In the morning: pour in a LOT of flavored creamer (I used international delight brand chocolate caramel) The result should be way too sweet and too strong.
In the blender place a cup of ice cubes, pour enough of the coffee mixture to cover and blend it.
Meanwhile, take a large plastic cup (buy yourself a fancy to go coffee cup if you like things to be aesthetically pleasing) and using a bottle of hershey's syrup coat the sides of the cup with the syrup, making a swirling pattern.
coffee should be blended by now. taste it. You might need to add more ice or the opposite - more of the coffee/creamer mix.
Pour it into your pretty chocolate coated cup.
Top with whipped cream and if your really want to get fancy, shave some chocolate curls on top (or piroulines or cocoa powder).

I made this for my high school students for a treat. (I used decaf coffee) They seriously raved about it and said it tasted just as good as McD's.
While creamers, whipped cream and piroulines are expensive - they are only a fraction of what you will spend at a restaurant.

Quote:
I need to try this... I take coffee to work every morning anyway (I don't buy it anymore, score!) so this sounds like something to do as a treat. Made with decaf, my daughter would love it too (she's 11, so it'd be a rare-ish treat
lol.png
)

Quote:
I hear you. So for me, the solution is to do what I can do and be happy with that. I wish I could be further off grid and self sufficient (I live in town so no sheep, pigs, goats for me)(I work full time so I am not at home learning to spin or whatever it is I currently wish I could be doing). I am just focused on doing my best and congratulating myself for the steps in the right direction I am making and being happy with what is possible.

Quote:
Well...sort of. We haven't bought salad dressing in about 17 years. We just use olive oil poured directly on the salad, diluted red wine vinegar and then add spices directly to the salad. This way the correct amounts of each ingredient get on the salad according to each person's taste. It's healthy, cheap, and it tastes better than any other salad dressing we've ever tasted in restaurants.

Quote:
I don't know how to use my wool or do wool processing or spinning. I have the wool from my sheep, but have not done anything with it yet. People with this breed do use the wool, so it must be decent. I'd like to make some wool blankets some time, but I need to check on how much it costs for the wool processing. I love the babydoll breed. Make sure you get at least two if you get some (they are social). They are very mellow and make great pets!! They're not as noisy as Suffolks, for example. They do require a lot of work, in my opinion, but I love it.

I agree, you don't need to have all the bells and whistles to live self-sufficiently. For me, to be 100% would not work. I do enjoy having electricity and running water. Although I think both were an after thought on our old farm house. The generations before us had to "rough it" a lot more. When you think about, we live comfortably in this day and age. Thank God we can both plant a garden and then come in the house a take a shower with warm water. And we can prepare a home cooked meal and then run the dishwasher ;-) There is something so very rewarding about doing manual labor though.

Quote:
Well...sort of. We haven't bought salad dressing in about 17 years. We just use olive oil poured directly on the salad, diluted red wine vinegar and then add spices directly to the salad. This way the correct amounts of each ingredient get on the salad according to each person's taste. It's healthy, cheap, and it tastes better than any other salad dressing we've ever tasted in restaurants.

Sounds like the same recipe that I use and it is delicious. The salad dressings in the store taste like
sickbyc.gif

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom