Just curious who else is living super frugal

Thank you so much for the recipe wwmicasa1, I will certainly try that. I do have a slow cooker and I love caramelised onions. If I want to bottle some do I need to cover with a layer of oil, and how long would they keep? would they need to be kept in the fridge? Can't wait to try this!

Thank you so much for the recipe wwmicasa1, I will certainly try that. I do have a slow cooker and I love caramelised onions. If I want to bottle some do I need to cover with a layer of oil, and how long would they keep? would they need to be kept in the fridge? Can't wait to try this!
If refrigerated, they will last about a week....no oil on top. Or you can freeze or put them in canning jars & can in pressure canner or water bath for 10 mins. If canned, they will keep forever. I promise you will LOVE the flavor :)

Just wanted to share about a few items that I bought this weekend at the grocery store. There is a store in my area that has monthly reductions on all items throughout the store. I especially love going to the dairy section because their yogurt is always a steal. I was able to get 20 cups of yogurt for $0.15. The expiration is today but they are still good to eat none-the-less. The larger tubes of yogurt were on sale for $0.75. There was only 2 of them left, so I bought those as well. I think I have enough yogurt for a month.

They had also reduced a lot of Halloween items. I found boxes of Pumpkin Spice Tea (20 bags per box) that had been reduced to $0.25 per box. There were 8 boxes on the shelf, so I bought all of them.

Now, I"m waiting on the gallons of milk to go on sale for $1.00. The almost expired gallons will probably be marked down today 12-31-2012.

If you can find the "sale" aisles in the grocery store, you will be able to cash in on a lot of food items.

Hello everyone. I'm new to BYC and I'm excited to see this thread. Now I really feel at home. Frugality is a big part of my life. :)

Dana

welcome-byc.gif
Dana! I have been a lurker on this thread for some time. I love reading everyone's posts on frugality!!!

Hello everyone. I'm new to BYC and I'm excited to see this thread. Now I really feel at home. Frugality is a big part of my life. :)

Dana

Hello everyone, and Happy New year! I hope that 2013 will be truly rewarding to for all of us! DW and I have been planning to add some sheep and a milk cow to our homestead. We are beginning first steps to that end: We want to plant Alfalfa and Oat hay to see if we can grow enough to feed these critters; so I ran my small walk-behind to an area the horses can’t get at. We knew nothing - even about where farmers get their seeds! A visit to a few feed stores got us a supplier located in King City; so we drove there where we came away with 25 pounds of alfalfa seed, 50 pounds of oat, 25 pounds of clover seed, and $200 less in our pockets. This crop of alfalfa will be planted to harvest seed.
Here is a picture of our first attempt at farming. The oats will be planted in an area on the other side of the hill. DW wants to sow clover where we are keeping the chickens.

One of our neighbors raises hair sheep, and they will be calving this spring. We may be buying from them.

Well, that didn't work .. let me try this again .....
Hello everyone, and Happy New year! I hope that 2013 will be truly rewarding to for all of us! DW and I have been planning to add some sheep and a milk cow to our homestead. We are beginning first steps to that end: We want to plant Alfalfa and Oat hay to see if we can grow enough to feed these critters; so I ran my small walk-behind to an area the horses can’t get at. We knew nothing - even about where farmers get their seeds! A visit to a few feed stores got us a supplier located in King City; so we drove there where we came away with 25 pounds of alfalfa seed, 50 pounds of oat, 25 pounds of clover seed, and $200 less in our pockets. Here is a picture of our first attempt at farming. The oats will be planted in an area on the other side of the hill. DW wants to sow clover where we are keeping the chickens.

Thought I'd post a concoction I made tonight that is a great degreaser -

1/4 c blue original dawn
3/4 c baking powder
1 t vinegar

mix all together (it will be thick like cake frosting) and using you hands rub on grease and let sit for awhile.

I used this on my drip pans on my stove. And around the burners, and underneath the stove top... works awesome. I am calling it Blue Goop!

Just wanted to share about a few items that I bought this weekend at the grocery store. There is a store in my area that has monthly reductions on all items throughout the store. I especially love going to the dairy section because their yogurt is always a steal. I was able to get 20 cups of yogurt for $0.15. The expiration is today but they are still good to eat none-the-less. The larger tubes of yogurt were on sale for $0.75. There was only 2 of them left, so I bought those as well. I think I have enough yogurt for a month.
They had also reduced a lot of Halloween items. I found boxes of Pumpkin Spice Tea (20 bags per box) that had been reduced to $0.25 per box. There were 8 boxes on the shelf, so I bought all of them.
Now, I"m waiting on the gallons of milk to go on sale for $1.00. The almost expired gallons will probably be marked down today 12-31-2012.
If you can find the "sale" aisles in the grocery store, you will be able to cash in on a lot of food items.

Do you dehydrate? You can make yogurt plops with that extra yogurt and make it shelf stable for a longer period of time. :)

Do you dehydrate? You can make yogurt plops with that extra yogurt and make it shelf stable for a longer period of time. :)

No I don't. How do you make it? What are yogurt plops?

Back
Top Bottom