Just curious who else is living super frugal

Frugal lessons for the week - take home leftover baked potatoes from the church dinner (since they were stuffed in a sack and handed to my daughter) and make potato salad out of them and buy a 50 lb bag of potatoes for $9 and make dried potato slices and dried mashed potatoes in the dehydrator for quick fix meals without the box. Now if I just had a cheap source for cheese sauce, I'd have it made. Lol.

Who else is growing a garden to help with food costs?

I just found this thread. Has anyone tried to raise chickens totally on pasture?. I do not care how slow they grow, just want them to feed the family without using a freezer and without expensive feed. If yes, then which breed?

Frugal lessons for the week - take home leftover baked potatoes from the church dinner (since they were stuffed in a sack and handed to my daughter) and make potato salad out of them and buy a 50 lb bag of potatoes for $9 and make dried potato slices and dried mashed potatoes in the dehydrator for quick fix meals without the box. Now if I just had a cheap source for cheese sauce, I'd have it made. Lol.

I grow a garden every year to help with veggies, but here in the Poconos the nights stay cold usually to late May and start getting cold again in August, so the growing season is short. My plan this year, after I get my coop built, is to build a 3-season green house so I can start the groing season early and end it later. I would really like to build a 4-season green house, but I don't know if the extra costs will be found in the budget this year.

I am inspired by this thread. My husband has always been frugal and I have not always appreciated that quality in him.
As we are preparing for our retirement (ahead of time) we are both on track with doing whatever it takes to live a simpler
life that will enhance the quality of our lives together. I tend to run very "black and white/all or nothing" where my
husband has a more balanced approach. I am learning so much from your postings. Thanks for the insights.

we all have to ============because============== congress is not living super frugel ..
roll.png

Hi erinszoo ! Jennifer and I planted our first garden last spring, and it turned out to be a great use of our time. We still have onions hanging in our power shed – one of these days, a root cellar. We placed an order for grape vines which I suspect will arrive early this March. We brought in water lines for irrigation, installed t-posts and wire to support the vines, and we placed a temporary fence around the area to protect from ground squirrels. It will take about 3 years for the grape vines to mature, and the area we fenced is big enough for expansion. So with all that space, we plan to use it for an expanded garden this coming spring. Besides the obvious benefits we got from our garden, there are those wonderful warm summer evenings when we sit out amongst the day’s labor and watch the stars come out. Grateful for a place to sit, a cold beer in my hand, DW beside me, and the whole universe coming out on display ….. life is good!

All the posts about gardens reminds me of the time my mom was having issues with coons raiding her garden. I remember she called the local AC for help.You know trapping them or something. The guy told her to get rid of her garden. Can you imagine? Yeah,go buy veggies and fruit at the store like everyone else.Me, I might have fed the coons to my dogs!

I just found this thread. Has anyone tried to raise chickens totally on pasture?. I do not care how slow they grow, just want them to feed the family without using a freezer and without expensive feed. If yes, then which breed?
I know there are threads on this. I am leaning towards it.Feed is so expensive. I don't even get eggs from my chickens,so they might as well work a bit for their food.Back in Hungary I recall the chickens got scraps like the dogs/cats,and whatever extra grain they might have.They were good sized,and sure tasted goood!

re: finding lamb

Down here in Las Vegas, NV, lamb is also pretty scarce. (Realistically it's not raised down here...picture a wool coat in the scorching desert) But I have found it at Costco and -- surprise -- the big Wal-Mart Super Center where they had quite a selection of lamb breast, ground lamb, chops and riblets. My favorite, though, is Safeway (here Von's) for the lamb shanks....so good in the Romertopf! I actually buy those in bulk when I visit the S.F. Bay Area and bring them back on ice to put in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom