Just curious who else is living super frugal

A few generations ago, most of us lived pretty much the same way, nok. Then with the industrial boom and increased wages and plentiful everything, we became a nation of consumers and disposers. I think what most of us are working toward with this thread is to find our way back to some of those simpler, more practical, less expensive ways. My grandparents were young adults during the Depression and I had the good fortune to be raised by them so I got to see first hand the idea of "use it, re-use it, fix it" I haven't always practiced living that way...when jobs were plentiful and wages were good, I became a LOT less frugal, opting to spend the money on things that were less work and were more convenient...like "instant" food and such. Although I will say that I used cloth diapers (voluntarily) on my son who was born in 1979. Now that the job market and good wages have dried up, I'm moving back toward what I learned from my grandparents, and incorporating a lot of that in our daily lives.

For years, I had an old wringer washer. That thing was a work horse, and almost never broke down. When it did, it was easy to repair because it didn't have all those bells and whistles. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my top loader HE machine, and (touch wood) it's never given me an ounce of trouble. But if it did and I had the room for a wringer set up, I wouldn't object at all to using one again...assuming you could even find one! I'd be hard pressed to completely give up a dryer, though. I do hang most of our stuff out in the summer but not in the winter. If push came to shove, we could probably make do without, but we're not quite there yet ;)

We're doing a lot of little things that add up...both for the sake of our pocketbooks, and additionally for the sake of the environment. I keep most of the plastic containers we get and find a use for them; my bucket-in-the-shower trick saves us about 20 gallons of perfectly good, usable water a week. We compost everything that's compost-able that the chickens and rabbits won't eat; we save all our errands for one day and then plan our route so we're not back tracking and using more gas; we us a washable, re-usable coffee filter. We're seriously at the point where we stop to think about just about everything from a different angle, asking ourselves if we really need a thing or if something else would do, is it fixable or does it really have to be replaced, it's broken for its original purpose, but can we use it for something else...it's finally becoming a habit for us, which is a good thing! :)

At the risk of sounding silly, some of the choices I have made to stretch our dollars are doing my own landscaping. Most of my neighbors use landscape companies/house cleaning services and pool services.

I love getting out there and pruning, trimming and getting my hands dirty either planting something or picking weeds. We have a large front and back yard. It usually takes me a couple of weekends to get it into decent shape and then the maintenance going forward. My husband does the clean up.

We used to take the dog to be groomed every couple of months at 50.00 a groom. We got a pet grooming kit for about 30.00 and have been doing it ourselves for years. Every time we do the major landscape and groom the dog, I think of the money we just saved and it feels good. Not to mention the health benefits of the physical activity and the bonding done with the dog. We have a long way to go to "live frugal". However, we are on our way and it feels good.

Quote: gosh, dose that bring back memories. i come from true hillbilly heritage. my moms parents had a hand crank well out back for water. grandma feed 9 folks cooking on a wood stove ( and boy, could she cook ) when we got home we would insist that mom cook it like grandma did. mom did the best she could, but it was never as good as grandma's. i remember when i was about 6 grandma got a wringer washer and us girls were practically falling over each other to go fetch water and turn the crank to wring the clothes. i guess it was the love that grandma radiated to us rug rats that made us feel that way. and let me tell ya, when your loved like that, it wasn't a chore, it was fun. :)

someone mentioned 'deprivation' but i sometimes wonder; when u have more stuff to do around the house, u have less time to sit around and feel sorry for yourself, or 'find yourself' or be bored, or feel useless... im not talking housewifey style, i jsut mean, plain and simple doing your own thing... the thought that someone would clean my house horrifies me as long as i am physically able to do it myself (although in my parents' house, we had a maid that cleaned once every two weeks and we had to clean up before she arrived. she only did stuff that mom couldnt do, and the house was quite bit).

what i find particularly interesting is my husband's way of doing things. he comes from a very very small village in issaan thailand. his family buys nothing. so here also, while he HAD to have a smartphone, he will not buy nails if he can re hammer and file down old nails that he pulls from old wood. he has to have the latest bluetooth, (until he came to israel, he had never touched a computer, his village only got electricity a few years ago, and he was working in the fields from age 13)but he repairs falling apart washing machines and lends them to thai migrant workers since their employers dont provide them with washing machines, so he , for example, made a door for a machine using a glass salad bowl and a wooden 4X4, and created his own hinges. anything i need, and i am tempted to buy, he usually figures otu a way to make, create or redesign. i need to plant seeds? 5 minutes and i have a planting stick (like many 'native' peoples use. ) and it works fine. no nails or screws? twine works well to hold fencing on stakes, and if there is no twine, there are long grasses and climbing plants that are strong enough to use as string.

recently we had leftover squashes. i was about to toss in to the compost. he filled them with dirt and put seeds in them. self composting containers. same for watermelons.the thing is, these are many of the small things that he does that i look up in the internet, see it as a really cool new idea and low and behold, his dinky little village with no electricity or running water has been doing this stuff for centuries..

the other day i found him sewing up patches on his work pants. who knew.... ive taught my son to sew on buttons and stuff, cause for the army, these small things make a big difference (like sewing on your shoulder thingies that identify what rank u are, etc.)

how many of you put new elastic in sweatpants that have lost their stretch? or re do a zipper? there is someone her e that takes off collars from shirts and remakes the shirts.
in our hotel office, we re use paper ,making the regular sized pages in to small message papers, rather then buying those message blocks. we havent been able to get rid of using paper as of yet.
how many people leave their bottles of stuff laying on the side or upside down to get out the last amounts?
how many of you shop with a calculator in your hand? (ok, my kids refuse to go shopping with me, its a long process when i compare the 'extra free 30% in one bottle vx the two for the price of one and a half' type stuff...

I am going to learn a lot from nok13 !!!

My perspective on this idea changed when my wife and I went on a six month backpacking trip.
We would go into towns once a week for laundry, shower/bath, food and mail.
I recently found out about a program for young adult males that have "issues". All is taken away and as they progress through the program they gradually are given back what they need not what they want.

Contentment is what I strive for in being frugal.

Me and dbf went to the lake today. Didn't excepect to find anything. Well we left with a very nice rug, 2 fishing reels, a unbroken rob, a watering can, life jacket, 2 signs, pair of googles, fire starter logs, bucket, a ripped up tent that we are going to use the nettig for tops of chicken pens, and a box of fishing tackle.

We're starting to make our own bone meal...little bits at a time. I haven't tried it with other kinds of bones, but when I make chicken stock, I throw everything in the pressure cooker and once it's done, the chicken bones are quite crumbly. I let them dry and toss 'em in a bag. When I have enough to make it worthwhile to haul out the food processor, I throw 'em in and grind 'em up. I suspect heavier bones from beef or pork might not work so well, unless you processed them for quite a long time...and maybe not even then. I'll maybe give it a shot next time I do beef stock.

DON"T try it! Himself did, and ruined my Kitchen Aid. He finally got it right but he had to "cook" the bones in my pottery kiln (at 2100 degrees f, YUP!) before they crumbled.

A few generations ago, most of us lived pretty much the same way, nok. Then with the industrial boom and increased wages and plentiful everything, we became a nation of consumers and disposers. . . . Although I will say that I used cloth diapers (voluntarily) on my son who was born in 1979. Now that the job market and good wages have dried up, I'm moving back toward what I learned from my grandparents, and incorporating a lot of that in our daily lives.
I hope you haven't gone back to cloth diapering your son now that good wages have dried up . . .
lau.gif

Me and dbf went to the lake today. Didn't excepect to find anything. Well we left with a very nice rug, 2 fishing reels, a unbroken rob, a watering can, life jacket, 2 signs, pair of googles, fire starter logs, bucket, a ripped up tent that we are going to use the nettig for tops of chicken pens, and a box of fishing tackle.
Hmm, what are these items, specially the pair of googles?

Back
Top Bottom