Just curious who else is living super frugal

I wish we were off grid but we live in town and can not tie to the system if we install solar or wind so we are having to move that way slowly. We are going to buy our first solar panels later this spring and build a small room for the battery storage. I can't wait. I'm also looking at building my own wind system with a vertical wind turbine.

That’s how I started out, erinszoo. I started out with eight 60 watt panels, and two Trojan Deep Cycle batteries. The good thing about that experience is that it teaches you how to live with a limited electrical supply. We now have ten 230 watt panels, with eight batteries. That seems to handle all of our household needs. We still need to use a generator to pump water from our well, but replacing the 230 volt pump with a solar pump is our next project.
Be careful choosing your wind turbine as most make a lot of noise – that might make your neighbors a little angry.

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I hear you on the repairs. I started dating a guy who, after riding in my truck a few times, has fixed the brakes, the fuel filter, the fuel pump, spark plugs, and something else I think. I'm tellin' ya, this guy has made himself a necessity in my life, and saved me a huge bundle of money while doing it.

i guess i was lucky in the way that when my cars would break, my brother would fix it for me, but i had to get in and get my hands dirty and help. so i was conditioned to look at car problems as how can i fix it as opposed to where can i find a mechanic. also i have taken my car to get a price and about fell over when i looked at what they wanted to charge me. yea, for that price i'll fix it myself. hell, for that price i'd fix someone Else's car :)

Having vehicle repairs done "out", especially on older cars can sure nickel and dime you to death! I know next to nothing about them, but fortunately DH is really good with them. I love his approach...when there's a problem, he considers the things it could be...and fixes the easiest/cheapest thing first. If that doesn't do the trick, he'll move to the next. LOL, we had some issues with our van overheating and the neighbor was over opining that we needed to replace something (don't remember what now) but that would have been over $200. DH reckoned it could be just another thing (again, don't know what), so he replaced that for under $10...and lo and behold...van's running just grand now.

Sometimes, I do think older vehicles are better for home repair...they don't have so many of the computerized bells and whistles that take specialized equipment. Plus, there's usually enough room in the engine compartment to actually get IN there and do it :)

You are so right about old cars. We have always had them, no matter how much money has been available to update them, my husband would be mortified to not run a car into the ground. Japanese ones are great because they run forever. Also we have had landrovers which you can practically fix with a rubber band and they will run even with sand in the tank. We have travelled all over Europe with cars held together with wire coat hangers (Exhaust pipes). Wouldn't have it any other way than 'a wing and a prayer' motoring.

Yes, you sure are right about older cars having more room to work. They don’t waste any space in the design of newer cars. To work on them requires you to be a contortionist. But they don’t design cars that can’t be fixed – at least that is what I tell myself when confronted with parts hidden deep in its maze. I’ve discovered that the newer, more complex, cars aren’t all that mind boggling. The basics are still the same as older cars – they all have crankshafts, camshafts, valves and lifters … I guess the scary part comes when they introduced computers with all those sensors, but they are all fixed by unplugging the bad part and plugging in the new one – you don’t really fix them – normally. The hardest part is finding where they are hidden, and what they look like.
I don’t really miss filling points, or adjusting carburetors, but it does bring a sense of nostalgia when I come across one – and, oh, all of that wonderful space!!

Last year we took advantage of the energy tax incentives...completed some projects that I was going to anyway.....

Purchased a HUD house about 2 years ago....took advantage of the 8K First Time Buyers tax credit.....

so, what did we do with the 8K? put it back into the house......

House built in '84 and had the original windows that all the seals were deteriorated along with the insulation in the attic that had turned to dust leaving an R factor of ZERO.....

waited til this fall to take advantage of the 'off season' deals for both......

got a great deal on replacement energy efficient windows that qualified for the tax credit......

and had the attic addressed....installed 20 inches of insulation, radiant barrier and replaced the soffit vents that had been painted over ... some of which also qualified for the tax credit.

My winter electric bills went from $300 to $75...can't wait til Aug/Sept to see how effective the radiant barrier is.
I bought my foreclosed home last year it was built in 82 its all electric and my bill is anywhere from $300-400 a month it has the blown insulation in the attic that is now dust and windows are drafty...I think I need to do what you did...im a single mom first time home owner so I am just learning all of this

We started living very frugal in 2010 after I had a stroke...we have scrimped and saved and finally thanks to a family gift of property get to live in the country and have animals...now that we are used to living frugal its hard to spend money on things...we have it but dang it was hard to save that money...I started a blog about living frugal and a local group of savers but now we live in the country its time to start a new chapter in life...we do not buy new anything...we try and upcycle or recycle anything we can...its a matter of choosing security over frivolous spending...I spend more money on chickens lately than anything else
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom