Just curious who else is living super frugal

On the news, I hear of occasional outbreaks of salmonella from eggs and vegetables that are consumed by people who obviously don’t wash their produce. The Health Department traces the source of the outbreak back to the producer and I suppose that person is subject to legal action. I do know that they are subject to lawsuits. I use to donate my excess eggs to the community food bank, but when I heard of this issue, I noticed that many of my eggs are laid near bird poop. I’ve never had a problem with those eggs, but I have no way knowing if salmonella is present, and I don’t want to subject myself to being sued because of this contaminate - and because people can no longer properly handle their food. This whole business leaves me cold when it comes to sharing what I can produce.

....The Health Department traces the source of the outbreak back to the producer and I suppose that person is subject to legal action. I do know that they are subject to lawsuits. I use to donate my excess eggs to the community food bank, but when I heard of this issue, I noticed that many of my eggs are laid near bird poop. I’ve never had a problem with those eggs, but I have no way knowing if salmonella is present, and I don’t want to subject myself to being sued because of this contaminate - and because people can no longer properly handle their food. This whole business leaves me cold when it comes to sharing what I can produce.
I'm with you. It's sad that we are afraid to share our bounty because there are some that are sue-happy. I'm very careful about who I give eggs and meat to. Most of the people who get my birds, get them live so it's not a big issue.

Same here - I swap live chickens with those neighbors of mine that also raise chickens. With these same people, I give and take veggies, but that is as far as I take it. I don't have the money to defend myself in a lawsuit.

Quote:
Thanks for actually answering the question I asked. We too always let a couple of lettuce plants go to seed. I've tried three different heirloom seed suppliers so far. This year I'm doing some side by side comparisons just to find out what works best for us. So far I have three sets of lettuce growing ... one is heirloom from an "heirloom" company, one is from a 10 cent packet from the dollar store, and the last is from seed from another company I've had for three years now. So far, the 10 cent pack is growing faster and germinated better than either of the others. Interesting. I think you're right though, finding what works best for our garden and climate makes the most sense.

Quote:
yep! and the one I love the most is that heirloom doesn't mean organic even. One of the heirloom companies that is very vocal against GMO's and promotes only growing heirlooms, isn't organic ... so what's the point in growing an heirloom fruit if you're just going to spray the crop with poison anyway?

AND ... whoever it was that started all of this GMO business needs to go back and actually read the original post and answer the question I asked instead of just reading into it whatever they wanted. Thanks for showing some consideration of others!

Let's try to clear up some confusion here.

HEIRLOOM = OLD FASHIONED VARIETY, been around for many years, like, "my Granny grew this one!"

ORGANIC = GROWN WITHOUT CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS, CHEMICAL PESTICIDES, OR CHEMICAL WEED KILLERS. Manure, kelp meal, BT, ladybugs, mulch, are O.K. It is NOT a type of seed. It is a way of growing. You can buy seeds that have been grown organically, even a genetically modified one.

Let's try to clear up some confusion here.

HEIRLOOM = OLD FASHIONED VARIETY, been around for many years, like, "my Granny grew this one!"

ORGANIC = GROWN WITHOUT CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS, CHEMICAL PESTICIDES, OR CHEMICAL WEED KILLERS.  Manure, kelp meal, BT, ladybugs, mulch, are O.K.  It is NOT a type of seed.  It is a way of growing.  You can buy seeds that have been grown organically, even a genetically modified one.
:goodpost:

Wow. All of you are doing great! My household is down just my husband and me. Other than Milk and fresh fruits ; I only go to the grocery once a month. I dont think a FAMILY could do it that easily. We dont go "out" to dinner.. IF we have a certificate to a restaraunt, we order and pick up, then take it home. Even still, we only do that MAYBE once a month. That way there is No tipping, and if we want a cocktail or glass of wine before eating, it doesnt cost $6 [or more] each! Raising chickens for eggs helps, but i dont have meat chickens. Id rather buy large frozen bags for the freezer. I outfit myself completely at the $7 bag sale that my favorite consignment store has twice a year, if i need a specific item of clothing , definetly its off to goodwill and the local charity driven thrift stores. My Hubs and I have very little debt.. other than the mortgage, id say we owe less than 1k on a CCard. CASH only and if we cant afford to pay cash, then we dont buy it. Get furniture from friends who are getting new furniture, if its in good shape! Always comb the better neighborhoods the eve before the trash pickup... people throw away great stuff! We keep ALL our aluminum cans and cash in once a year..$150 approx. Also.. sell EVERYTHING you dont want or need and things you may find. Ultimately, Recycle, Re use, Re purpose! I also make wind chimes out of silverware and stuff, and many other creative projects.. They get sold at the annual garage sale. Happy Frugal living Everybody!! keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom