Just curious who else is living super frugal

It's been a while since the last post, so I thought that I would revive it with a pic of some of my frugal buying this week. I scored all of this for $5.02. 11 cups of Oikos yogurt ($0.25 each) and a box of 8 cup of Yoplait yogurt ($2.00 for the box of 8). I have been enjoying smoothies all week with the bags of bananas that my co-worker gave me that she didn't want because they had "split" a bit.
idunno.gif
Her loss my gain.

Nice! I have been buying yogurt at Grocery Outlet. Also cheese and turkey bacon for much less than the regular grocery store. I try to shop there first because they don't have all the same things every week.

I love Oikos Yogurt! I bought ten of them this morning at 10 for $10, and thought I was getting a deal. How did you get them so cheaply?

On another note, I have always wanted to make slate paths between my outbuildings on my property, but slate costs an arm and a leg...but I scored big. I bought over 600 square feet of Vermont slate that usually sells for $8 a square for only $2 a square foot...a 75% savings. A local nursery was just putting out a sign that read "Slate Blowout Sale" as I was driving by. I drove in and bought all they had. It cost me a little over $1200, but if I had to pay the $8 per square foot at $4800, I would never have the slate paths. The slate is now sitting on pallets in my old barn foundation just waiting to be made into paths next Spring.

Speaking of yogurt ... it's really easy to make your own from a gallon of your favorite milk and a crock pot. Then you get a gallon of yogurt for whatever your milk cost you plus the first time you have to have a plain yogurt on hand for the starter culture but after that you just use the yogurt you made. I do a batch about once a month and then flavor it however we want with canned goods, jams, and jellies or honey and vanilla or fresh fruit and granola. I'll dig out the recipe and post it if anyone's interested. We use it in smoothies, eat it fresh, make cheese out of it, etc ...

Hi Erinszoo, I would like to see the recipe for your yogurt! We drink goat's milk and eat goat's yogurt. Look forward to seeing your recipe. Thank you.

I recently bought some organic goats cheese, but didn't really care for the taste (which I found disappointing since I want to get a couple of milk goats). I wonder if that is why you see most goat cheese in the store flavored...to hide the taste. I was going to buy a quart of goats milk, but the store I was in wanted almost $5 for a quart!

I recently bought some organic goats cheese, but didn't really care for the taste (which I found disappointing since I want to get a couple of milk goats). I wonder if that is why you see most goat cheese in the store flavored...to hide the taste. I was going to buy a quart of goats milk, but the store I was in wanted almost $5 for a quart!
The reason many people dislike goat cheese is the flavor. The cause of the "off" taste is that many farmers let their Bucks run with the does. When the Bucks are in rut they pee on themselves to entice the does to breed. When they rub up on the girls the stench from the urine transfers to the doe & her udder which produces the "off" flavor. We have milk goats & the only time they see the boys is when we are breeding. The boys are located in the upper pasture about 3 acres from the girls. We get rave reviews on our Chev're & Feta because of the sweet taste. We also sell our milk at $5 per Quart.

I love Oikos Yogurt! I bought ten of them this morning at 10 for $10, and thought I was getting a deal. How did you get them so cheaply?

On another note, I have always wanted to make slate paths between my outbuildings on my property, but slate costs an arm and a leg...but I scored big. I bought over 600 square feet of Vermont slate that usually sells for $8 a square for only $2 a square foot...a 75% savings. A local nursery was just putting out a sign that read "Slate Blowout Sale" as I was driving by. I drove in and bought all they had. It cost me a little over $1200, but if I had to pay the $8 per square foot at $4800, I would never have the slate paths. The slate is now sitting on pallets in my old barn foundation just waiting to be made into paths next Spring.

There is a store in my city, that I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE. On a certain day of the week, they put all of their dairy items on sale. These items have an expiration date that are that day or within the next few days. So instead of the store throwing these items away, they put them in their "clearance" area in the dairy section and are marked down drastically. A couple weeks ago, I scored 2 gallons of Goat Milk for $0.50 per gallon. I froze 1 gallon and used the other and took out the other gallon last week when I was out of the first gallon. I have been shopping at this store for the last 10 years and I have never had a problem with any of the dairy being bad, sour or going sour. I know the day that they put the items on clearance and I get to the store about 6:30 AM before going to work and stock up. I have saved tons of money doing this over the years. Besides the milk and yogurt, they also have sliced cheese, block cheese, cottage cheese, pudding and other dairy products. They also had about 10 of the Oikos Yogurt for $0.50 but I didn't get those because they weren't the fruit flavor. I probably should have bought though.

Speaking of yogurt ... it's really easy to make your own from a gallon of your favorite milk and a crock pot. Then you get a gallon of yogurt for whatever your milk cost you plus the first time you have to have a plain yogurt on hand for the starter culture but after that you just use the yogurt you made. I do a batch about once a month and then flavor it however we want with canned goods, jams, and jellies or honey and vanilla or fresh fruit and granola. I'll dig out the recipe and post it if anyone's interested. We use it in smoothies, eat it fresh, make cheese out of it, etc ...

I would like and appreciate the recipe if you could post it please. And thank you for the tip on flavoring it with jams and jellies. I do flavor mine with honey but I never thought about jams or jellies. I bartered about 50 jars of preserves when I traded my peacock feathers this year, so I have a bunch of fig, pear, peach, muscadine and strawberry preserves that I can use to flavor my yogurt. Excellent tip. Thank you.

:thumbsup

And I LOVE Goat cheese. :drool

The reason many people dislike goat cheese is the flavor. The cause of the "off" taste is that many farmers let their Bucks run with the does. When the Bucks are in rut they pee on themselves to entice the does to breed. When they rub up on the girls the stench from the urine transfers to the doe & her udder which produces the "off" flavor. We have milk goats & the only time they see the boys is when we are breeding. The boys are located in the upper pasture about 3 acres from the girls. We get rave reviews on our Chev're & Feta because of the sweet taste. We also sell our milk at $5 per Quart.

I wish I lived close to you, I would surely buy some from you.

Back
Top Bottom