Just curious who else is living super frugal

Nope nothing special. Just use a shallow dish of water. When ever you want, put in dirt. You could probably wait till it gets warmer then plant in the garden. Although, I've not tried that..... yet. Another way to get all the celery you want is to get Lovelace seeds and grow them. It's a plant that tastes just like celery. The leaves look like celery leaves only it doesn't have the stalk. I grow that in the herb garden and just cut off what I need. It will self sow itself. Great for soups and such when you don't necessarily need or want the stalks.

I really like this thread because of the different things I learn: DW and I have been having problems growing celery; so I am forced to buy a whole head when the recipe requires a few stalks. I usually have a head of celery wilting in the refrigerator – Never thought to try rooting them! And the idea of putting veggie starts in a feed bag of dirt …. Nursery in a bag! That one made me laugh out loud – I got ‘a try that!

It does sound funny when I hear you say it. Made me laugh. To me, it's just normal. My Mamaw always used to tell me, "Little girl, when you grow up and start making money, don't waste it by the spoonful". I've learned most of what I know from her. Of course, she grew up during the depression and reuses and repurposes EVERYTHING. She was a cashier at ACME grocery store. Retired early and is now a millionaire.. "Always be tight fisted with your money, little girl". I'm 44 and still get these talks when I tell her I went to the grocery store. hahaha

Mamaw: What do you have you a/c on?
Me: 70
Mamaw :WHAT???!!! When I was a little girl, we didn't have a/c. If it's hot outside it means... well, it means its summer. Go under a tree to cool off. Little Girl, turn your a/c off. Your wasting your money by the spoonful.
Me; but, mamaw..
Mamaw: hum?
Me; Yes ma'am............

I love me some mamaw.

Started in water, put in dirt. I'm going to try again. Maybe the dirt was not good dirt.

i was adding water to one of my celery plants today and i thought of you. I wonder if.. when the outer stalks have turned brown about half way, i usually pull them off. only because i think it looks ugly. i wonder if that might have something to do with it???? Just a thought.

I haven't read this entire thread (it is 260 pages long!!!) but for a couple of reasons (only one being the economy), I have been living my mom's advice:

'Use it up, wear it it out, make it do, or do without.'

Oh, and my girls provide the protein to go with the fruits and veggies I produce in my garden. :). (Being a vegetarian helps keep the costs down too,)

Back
Top Bottom