Just curious who else is living super frugal

My grandfather owned a 100 head dairy cow farm when I was a little girl. There were a lot of hoofs to trim! If you do not trim them properly, this also will affect them. The feet will be uneven and they get injured by twisting their ankle or such. They will kick at you when they are hurting, usually while in the milking stall or in line for the milking stall. Then as the injury gets worse, they will walk less, lay down more, eventually become lame. I have heard you don't have to trim beef cattle as often, if any. But you still have to keep an eye out for any injuries.

ETA: The dairy cows were all Holstein.

Last edited:
I have three horses that have lived here for over 17 years and I haven't had their hooves trimmed in all that time. When they were stabled in town, we had to do frequent trimmings. Of course, they are not shod, as I don't ride them and they have lots of room to roam.

It is good to point out to people looking for homesteading advice the fact that animals need care, and that care comes with a price. It is also good to know the issues with having the mini's. Hoof care and trimming is so important to livestock, and it is a topic so many choose to ignore. And if you want to milk, your cow needs to be bred. How are you going to breed her and what are you going to do with the calf?
The "Grandpa never trimmed his Holsteins feet" is not a good answer. If Grandpas cow came up lame, he probably sent her off to slaughter. It was not mean, it was economics; I have seen too many of those "Grandpa's cows" with their hooves over-grown, turned up and rotten.
If you don't have a large animal vet in the area, how are you going to care for sick or injured livestock? A lot of people are coming onto BYC looking for advice on how to treat their sick chicken because the local vet won't work on birds.

@DennisK - how often do you check your horses to make sure they are healthy? do you ever check their feet? I am guessing, since you used to have them shod and trimmed, that you instinctively look at their feet when you are assessing their health.

I can trim sheep hooves, and I"m assuming goats, too, BUT I draw the line a cattle.
tongue2.gif
Oh I need to remember to do the rabbit!!!!! HE's white-- that will make it VERY easy.

I can trim sheep hooves, and I"m assuming goats, too, BUT I draw the line a cattle. :plbb Oh I need to remember to do the rabbit!!!!! HE's white-- that will make it VERY easy.

We have a house rabbit.

We haven't had to trim his nails yet. I hope we never have to. He's a big boy. :th

Last edited:
Trimming rabbit nails is not that hard. We had to do my son's when we were bunnysitting - they were way long. Wrapped him in a towel and used wire cutters because they were too thick for nail clippers. But he was really good about it. Put a brick in his cage and now he has enough surface to rasp to not need trimmed.

Trimming rabbit nails is not that hard. We had to do my son's when we were bunnysitting - they were way long. Wrapped him in a towel and used wire cutters because they were too thick for nail clippers. But he was really good about it. Put a brick in his cage and now he has enough surface to rasp to not need trimmed.

That is good to know. We are new to raising rabbits. And I had not heard that their nails need trimmed. Our rabbits are raised for meat-so some we won't have to worry about. But I will keep an eye on the breeding stock.

I have three horses that have lived here for over 17 years and I haven't had their hooves trimmed in all that time. When they were stabled in town, we had to do frequent trimmings. Of course, they are not shod, as I don't ride them and they have lots of room to roam.

My girl has gone as long as a year without a trim. But she does get cosmetic toe cracks. So I have her done every three or four months.

deb

That is good to know.  We are new to raising rabbits.  And I had not heard that their nails need trimmed.  Our rabbits are raised for meat-so some we won't have to worry about.  But I will keep an eye on the breeding stock.

That is good to know.  We are new to raising rabbits.  And I had not heard that their nails need trimmed.  Our rabbits are raised for meat-so some we won't have to worry about.  But I will keep an eye on the breeding stock.

Our rabbit's vet also told us to make sure he had plenty of hay to eat, to keep his teeth worn down. I had never heard of that either, but apparently their teeth can get too long. Growing up with bugs bunny, I always thought- the longer the teeth, the better for eating carrots! :lau

Nope! Looney Tunes filled us full of lies I tell ya! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom