Just curious who else is living super frugal

My brother-in-law loves pickled eggs, so my sis had to learn how to make them. She hates them, lol!
There are many recipes out there on the internet, basically a hard boiled egg that is pickled.

I have never tried them, the only chances that I had to try them is in the local taverns and watching the bartender fishing out the egg just always turned me off on trying.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried Pickled eggs. Do they taste good. How do you eat them... and are they hard to pickle... Thinking about making a few for Christmas gifts.

The ones i have tasted were Ikky. But they were store bought. And I have always wanted to make them my self to test the waters.

I have heard that just tossing the peeled hardboiled egg in the pickle jar with the pickles is good.

deb

The recipe with the lemon cool aid actually had the best results when I was reading the reviews on the recipes.

I had no luck getting a DW version of DIY soap that worked. Mine left streaks and spots. I spent some time online searching for tweaks and it seems a constant complaint in DIY DW soap so I went back to store bought. For me.. single and doing dishes once, occasionally twice a week.. I spent $13 for 80 gel packs. That will last me a good year. I do add vinegar in with the gel tab in the soap compartment and dishes and glass wear come out looking brand new. For me it was not worth etching some glasses just to save a few pennies. My laundry soap is great and I even make my own soap for that. I decided to save money elsewhere. Now if I had a large family.. I might reconsider.

I had no luck getting a DW version of DIY soap that worked. Mine left streaks and spots. I spent some time online searching for tweaks and it seems a constant complaint in DIY DW soap so I went back to store bought. For me.. single and doing dishes once, occasionally twice a week.. I spent $13 for 80 gel packs. That will last me a good year. I do add vinegar in with the gel tab in the soap compartment and dishes and glass wear come out looking brand new. For me it was not worth etching some glasses just to save a few pennies. My laundry soap is great and I even make my own soap for that. I decided to save money elsewhere. Now if I had a large family.. I might reconsider.

I read that on a lot of the reviews so I have yet to try making it... I do dishes two times a day... More on special occasions. The laundry soap I make works awesome. I do laundry everyday all day long!!! 7 people in this house and it has saved a bunch!!!

"I read that on a lot of the reviews so I have yet to try making it... I do dishes two times a day... More on special occasions. The laundry soap I make works awesome. I do laundry everyday all day long!!! 7 people in this house and it has saved a bunch!!!"

The DIY laundry soap recipes are great. I love making mine and they tend to last me a bit. Using it is also removing the gunk buildup in the washer. I no longer use fabric softener but vinegar. I had a washer repair and the fabric softener had left a gunky build up on the agitator and inside the dispenser. I cleaned the dispenser during the repair and am noticing the buildup on the agitator is being reduced. I do wonder about the vinegar in the septic and possible ph changes in the yard. Will have to spend some time looking into that some evening.

I read that an ingredient in commercial DW soaps can not be obtained by general public and it went a long way to producing the spot free clean I am used to. That is why I gave up the search. But two loads a day in dishes @lindalouly .. I might be trying to play with it. Maybe using some commercial and some DIY recipe might be a way to save some and not ruin any dishes along the way. Good luck!

Has anyone tried soap nuts? If so, what were the results? I haven't tried them in the dishwasher but some claim that they are pretty good. (Internet shows mixed results). I love them for laundry and for shampoo (although remembering to pull it out of the fridge and into the shower in the morning can be a pain).

Back
Top Bottom