Just curious who else is living super frugal

With the homemade soap, you can get wildly varying results because of your water. If you have really hard water and clothes don't seem to get clean, add salt to your mix. That can help.

Quote:
Nah, sweetie, vent your heart out. I doubt there is anyone hear who can talk about living frugally who hasn't done without something we actually need in order to provide something a child wants. I doubt there is one of us here who hasn't said No to our family and then gone and cried over how helpless it feels.

Money is about way more than the stuff it buys.

Absolutely! I read this thread sometimes because I need to see that I'm not the only one trying to make tough choices. You guys give me ideas and inspiration!
ya.gif
Vent away!!

The hardest thing thru-out the years of a very low income and doing without is.....

missing out on family events that everyone seems to effortlessly be able to partake in because of seemingly bountiful resources....

for instance....

Not being able to attend family events/holidays/trips because no money.

When my son graduated from boot camp in San Diego we lived in Texas....we had to borrow money from the MIL just for plane tickets/hotel room for 2 nights and could barely scratch up enough for food while we were there. His celebration dinner was at In&Out, thankfully, that was what he wanted for his first 'celebration' meal while on leave. Borrowing money from MIL is always 'risky business' because of the power trip that always came with it. It is really demeaning to have to ask anyways but MIL always had a knack of making us feel like a bug that could be squashed at anytime and constantly reminding us of that fact. But our other option was to not go and how could we miss celebrating with our son this awesome accomplishment! My MIL even suggested just my husband go leaving me and my daughter behind, like that was a viable option, NOT ! We have always been a very close knit family and that would have been worse than none of us going.

My sisters decided to throw a big party for my parents for their 50'th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago, while I was so happy that they decided to take on this expensive venture, and even tho nothing was said (to my face at least) that I was not able to contribute anything to this event. I was still humiliated at the fact that all the guests were greeting my sisters letting them know what an awesome party it was and what good daughters they were for doing this for them. Not intentionally but consequently I was left out of the whole planning process as they all live within a mile of each other in the Houston area and I am about 4 hours away in the Dallas.

I have been unemployed for about 2 months now and am the only regular income in the family, husband is disabled, my niece (in the Houston area) just graduated from college and I had to decline the invitation and the opportunity to spend this time of celebration with my family because I could not afford the gas.

So, now that I have been able to rant, although money does not equate to happiness and is not just about things, it can be a great tool to bring people together for celebration and fellowship.

I think my family could live a LOT more frugally, but DH isnt on that page with me, and I'm not going to start a fight about it.

I agree, money is a barrier. We arent "hurting" per say but we definitely don't have ANY extra "fun money" laying around once the bills are paid each month.

We have friends that go on 2 or 3 trips a year... Vegas, concerts, etc and they always want us to go with them... and we love them and would like to but we always have to decline because for us its a choice between the house payment and the tickets.

I feel frustrated sometimes by it, but I know that a lot of people who live that way are putting it on credit cards. We live credit card free, so we save up for things.

I feel bad tho, there are SO many benefits these days in our small communities for those with medical needs, and I want to help them all but we can only afford to donate to so many people. In a small community people notice if you don't go to a benefit... then you get talked about. But I'm sorry, my job is to take care of my kids first and foremost and I will not make them go without basic necessities just to make sure I don't get gossiped about.

Quote:
Making laundry soap was one of the most fun and rewarding new things I have tried recently. It is working out very well for us. We have city water, so no hard water to contend with here
smile.png

HMmm, not looking so good right now. It seems very watery....its only been about 6hrs, but its not thickening at all. Was trying to make the liquid recipe someone else had posted....any thoughts on it?

Quote:
Absolutely! I read this thread sometimes because I need to see that I'm not the only one trying to make tough choices. You guys give me ideas and inspiration!
ya.gif
Vent away!!

The hardest thing thru-out the years of a very low income and doing without is.....

missing out on family events that everyone seems to effortlessly be able to partake in because of seemingly bountiful resources....

for instance....

Not being able to attend family events/holidays/trips because no money.

When my son graduated from boot camp in San Diego we lived in Texas....we had to borrow money from the MIL just for plane tickets/hotel room for 2 nights and could barely scratch up enough for food while we were there. His celebration dinner was at In&Out, thankfully, that was what he wanted for his first 'celebration' meal while on leave. Borrowing money from MIL is always 'risky business' because of the power trip that always came with it. It is really demeaning to have to ask anyways but MIL always had a knack of making us feel like a bug that could be squashed at anytime and constantly reminding us of that fact. But our other option was to not go and how could we miss celebrating with our son this awesome accomplishment! My MIL even suggested just my husband go leaving me and my daughter behind, like that was a viable option, NOT ! We have always been a very close knit family and that would have been worse than none of us going.

My sisters decided to throw a big party for my parents for their 50'th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago, while I was so happy that they decided to take on this expensive venture, and even tho nothing was said (to my face at least) that I was not able to contribute anything to this event. I was still humiliated at the fact that all the guests were greeting my sisters letting them know what an awesome party it was and what good daughters they were for doing this for them. Not intentionally but consequently I was left out of the whole planning process as they all live within a mile of each other in the Houston area and I am about 4 hours away in the Dallas.

I have been unemployed for about 2 months now and am the only regular income in the family, husband is disabled, my niece (in the Houston area) just graduated from college and I had to decline the invitation and the opportunity to spend this time of celebration with my family because I could not afford the gas.

So, now that I have been able to rant, although money does not equate to happiness and is not just about things, it can be a great tool to bring people together for celebration and fellowship.

Money is relative. As in the more money you have means you have more relatives
lol.png
One year DH and I were having a severely bad year. (Long story) and our loving family decided to hold the big family reunion for my side of the family. Both of my parents are deceased so I really wanted my kids to get to see the gathering from my side. But, in his infinite wisdom wealthy uncle butt hole decided to have the reunion on a CRUISE! Of course he paid for his children and their families and then bugged the daylights out of the rest of us over how we all needed to go just incase it was the last reunion various elderly people could make.

He was right. My kids never met several elderly family members. But, we did not have the money. Period End of story. He wanted us to go into debt for this and we were just not willing to spend $5000 on a a trip when we were at risk of losing everything. The timing was just horrible. I still question sometimes if we made the right choice, we recovered financially. But, I remain angry at him for putting that pressure on us. Poverty is relative........

Back
Top Bottom