Just curious who else is living super frugal

clap.gif
hear hear! I agree its a great lifestyle choice.Its not a hardship-its fun! Especially the chickens!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:

could anyone answer my cut grass question? I have a big lawn. we have just been mulching the grass and adding it to the compost. Can I use it dried to line the new coop my husband is building?

I've found living frugally to be a joy. There is so much waste and excess in our country, while in other parts of the world people have so little and are struggling just to survive. Our obsession with materialism has made us forget the importance of family and neighborly support. The breakdown of the extended family has left children and parents without the support of the older generations. I truly believe that the breakdown of the family has directly lead to the breakdown of our society; the family is the nuclear unit of society. Materialism and this "throw away" culture has blinded us to the things in life that are truly important.

That being said, I find myself much more contented with life when I plant, weed and water my own garden, and pick my own vegetables rather then go to the grocery store, select under-ripe, overpriced, pesticide-laden vegetables and wait in line with a bunch of miserable people to pay for it all. I take great comfort in knowing my hens are happy and give me beautiful eggs as opposed to commercial layers who live miserable lives. I don't want to eat the products of such an industry.

I may be a novice when it comes to growing and going my own but it feels so right, I am just following my instinct, learning from others and encouraging others to do the same.

The biggest challenge has been getting my stepdaughters into it. Teaching them something as simple as not running the water so fast....come out and help in the garden instead of watching TV or we have to eat what is available as opposed to wanting something special (the little one is so picky, the older one is vegan). Little by little they seem to be learning.

Quote:
You can use the cut grass for many things..
We just toss it into their pen for them to eat..and forage for bugs in..
But many folks also use it for nest boxes.. and for on the floor of the coop too....

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly! And I don't see why you couldn't use dried grass in the coop. JMO
I live super frugal, according to the frugal sites/forums I have seen. Funny, I didn't think I was extreme, I have everything I need and don't need 'stuff'. It's hard when the ones you live with don't get on board. Sometimes I have to compromise.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I hear you. Here is what you will do: what you can. The way to a better future is not to beat yourself up for what you cannot do. Better to be happy doing what you can. You have a six month old child and work full time? I work full time and I have two small children. So here is what I do: what I can. I rush home from work and the minute I walk in the door - life is in full swing. My children are not peaceful and easy-going. They are demanding and sometimes downright horrid. And so I do what I need to do. I spend time with them. I sit down and I listen to them and I hold them and I read them a story perhaps.
The lovely thing about living this new lifestyle is that you place importance where it needs to be placed. For those of us with children, we take care of the children first. After that you work in what works best for your family.
I would love to tell you that I make all of our bread and I sew all of our clothing and that my floors shine from being waxed by hand - but it wouldn't be true. Don't get me wrong - I do make bread and I do sew and sometimes albeit rarely I scrub my floors on my hands and knees. But that is not a rule I live by.
Only you know what will work for you. There are so many good ideas presented here. Choose one that appeals to you and that you think perhaps you can do. Try it. And on the days that it doesn't get done - snuggle the baby and forget about the goal that wasn't met.
And take joy in what you do accomplish. Pat yourself on the back for the successes. Oh yes - and update us all about the new things you tried and what worked...and what didn't work. We are all a work in progress right?

Quote:
I hear you. Here is what you will do: what you can. The way to a better future is not to beat yourself up for what you cannot do. Better to be happy doing what you can. You have a six month old child and work full time? I work full time and I have two small children. So here is what I do: what I can. I rush home from work and the minute I walk in the door - life is in full swing. My children are not peaceful and easy-going. They are demanding and sometimes downright horrid. And so I do what I need to do. I spend time with them. I sit down and I listen to them and I hold them and I read them a story perhaps.
The lovely thing about living this new lifestyle is that you place importance where it needs to be placed. For those of us with children, we take care of the children first. After that you work in what works best for your family.
I would love to tell you that I make all of our bread and I sew all of our clothing and that my floors shine from being waxed by hand - but it wouldn't be true. Don't get me wrong - I do make bread and I do sew and sometimes albeit rarely I scrub my floors on my hands and knees. But that is not a rule I live by.
Only you know what will work for you. There are so many good ideas presented here. Choose one that appeals to you and that you think perhaps you can do. Try it. And on the days that it doesn't get done - snuggle the baby and forget about the goal that wasn't met.
And take joy in what you do accomplish. Pat yourself on the back for the successes. Oh yes - and update us all about the new things you tried and what worked...and what didn't work. We are all a work in progress right?

clap.gif

Great response, that is truly what it is all about. Not having a Better Homes and Gardens worthy house, but having a happy home filled with love, and less bills to pay. Try out one new idea, if it doesn't work for you toss it. If it does then great! Add other ideas as you have time, the idea is to enjoy family life more, not cram more to do's onto an already long list that is impossible to complete!
Btw. kids kept in perfectly sanitary/white glove homes never develop immunities to germs and thus are unable to fend them off as they enter school and other public and often very unsanitary locations. Yes, germs are bad but they are everywhere, and mutating all the time to develop their own immunity against all of our "advanced" anti-biotic, anti-fungal stuff.. Good old Soap and Water does the trick! And grandma's home cold remedies actually help build our immune systems instead of over-riding them. Sorry rant over!
hide.gif

My DH and I are also trying to be more frugal. I planted some vegetables this year in 4 raised beds. I have yet to make a compost bin which I'm hoping to do out of free pallets. We live in the city so space is limited. I have begun storing up extra food ie rice, beans, tuna, canned tomatoes, etc. Having said that, I also have stored flour. I read that if you freeze it for a couple of days it would kill any bugs inside the bag and then it could be stored in a closed bin. Does anyone have any feed back on that? I would love to get bees but I want to read up on how to do this a bit more. This post is great and I enjoy reading everyone's post because there are some great ideas being shared.

The freezing trick usually works, but grain lasts longer if you buy the whole grains and then just grind what you need as you use it.

Back
Top Bottom