Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
... I also have what I call the blender on steriods. ...

Ooooo
droolin.gif
Cool tool!!! I want one! lol That sounds really powerful.

So where do we cut when we think we have no more fat to cut? I am looking at the budget and so far we are ok. I tell you though I am still worries about this job loss coming in March. What if I just can't cut enough? So where are places that can be cut that normally get overlooked?

First of all ...
hugs.gif

Second...wow. That is a toughy. Without invading your privacy too much, what are your monthly bills?

Can you change cell phone plans? Cut cable? Change internet?

When you can't cut anymore, then your only option is to try and create more income.

No cable bills, no cell phone bills, no payments other than mortgage, insurance, school loan, and utilities. I have been really strict with us. We at least are getting a heads up about the job loss. I have till March. I think the only place left is food really.

After that then income creation is the only thing left I agree. Instead of ditching animals at this point I actually have taken on a few more. And with my parents plan on taking on 3 very large ones in the spring. Buying 3 calves to grass feed at my parents farm. At least one will go to feed us. The other sold to recoup some costs. Trying to work toward free beef is what it comes down to. I won't pull a profit I think but at least will not have to buy meat. I plan on selling chicks in the spring. Selling garden seedlings. Selling painted eggs for the Holidays. Working tax season. I have my 4 littles at home so for now I have to do sorta piece meal income earning.

Anyone else at the point where your not sure what else can be cut? Maybe we can all get some ideas on how to be just a bit more frugal.

Don't take on any more animals that you can not afford to feed them. Cut down to where you can use the animals to feed your own family and maybe some for your relatives if you do have extras on hand.

Like me, I now have four hens and one bag would last me a month and two weeks. That is fugual it can be but I can take on maybe eight more hens to feed us with sporatic egg laying, particuarly in the winter.

Hardest part is when you really need to feed your family thru the winter or "lean months" butcher your poultry that does not "feed" your family, either in foodwise or money income (from hatching eggs, selling chicks, etc.)

With your job on its way out, buy all the canned goods you can to last you for a year. Some stores have a "canned goods" sales or blowout, those would be your best bet in stocking up.

Your calves set up looks very good, it will feed your family for a good while so you are good to go there. After all, we did get by with $21,000 a year with only hubby's income and my SSI income and seeing the needs and wants being divided wisely.

If you have the land available, which I think you do if you are getting calves, you could try goats. We have goats and they cost very little to feed as we have a lot of brush they can eat -as browsers, they don't compete for the same kinds of foods as cows do. Plus, you get the milk from them; drink, make soap, candles, cheese etc.

Rabbits too - we eat rabbit twice a week that we have raised ourselves. Sometimes you can see people on CL who want to buy skins, another possibility. Skins don't bring much, but it's "green".

if you home school, perhaps you could "babysit" a couple of kids from folks who work, just for a few after school hours, till parents get home. If you help with homework, provide a snack, you could charge a bit extra.

wishing you well

I keep thinking that at some point the only thing left to adjust is housing. It may make things worse though. I have lost over a 100,000.00 in house value in the past 3 years. I owe more on the house than it is worth. We can make the payments still, but the utilities are killing us. If push comes to shove, I am hoping that we can get a nice size travel trailer and set up at my in-Laws.

Quote:
When my daughter was struggling - she rented out her house (like you, it had dropped in value; not wise to sell) and moved into a much smaller place, nearer to school. The rent covered the mortgage payments and she was able to finish school with no debt. Once she had a good paying job, she was able to move back into her house.

Perhaps something like this would work for you. I know how it feels - it's happened to us before. BUT, the housing market WILL recover. It needs time. Unlike the stock market, housing is a tangible thing, not something written on paper. There will always be people who need a place to live.

I don't know how big your place is, but could you put a trailer on it and rent out the house?

The plan is to sell the house and build a smaller house on the farm. My family is in construction. With an efficient plan and recycling, and lots of family help we can build a cozy home mortgage free. Thats the ultimate goal. I am forever looking for ways to be more efficient with out money though. Even without the impending job loss I would still be looking for ways to save. I have upped my efforts in feeding the family more efficiently. Even if I can just save 100 that will help.

Hubby will hear today if he gets a job in a different department that has a better chance of not having any cuts made to it. Crossing fingers. It would be a raise too. Will still be pushing that frugality envelope though.

I simply ADORE this thread. I've been reading it for months, and I feel like I need to start at the beginning again.
I've found SO much more than just frugality tips......there are some really sweet comments about the truly meaningful things in life.

I like what Weesy68 wrote:
I walk past all the make up counters, shoe racks, and other goodies that got me into debt in the first place. My home and my childrens' future are far more important to me than frivolous things. I've had to grow up financially, it's been painful, but very overdue.

I don't even go IN the store with the makeup counter anymore. I think the Dalai Lama said something about window shopping creating a desire for things. I've learned that if I don't LOOK at the things in the store, I just don't seem to want to buy them! HA! Plus my chickens seem to call me home after work each day making shopping during daylight hours a no-go.

I too am in the process of growing up financially. It is painful, but rewarding. I got out of frivolous debt in 2006 just in time to buy a house at the peak of the market. What crazy times that anyone would lend us THAT much $! That certainly would not happen today, which makes me extra grateful for my house.
I'm also grateful for a stable 30 year fixed mortgage (no funny finances or balloon payments), but now I'm in another kind of debt. The "I-can-barely-pay-for-my-house" kind of debt. The kind of debt that sneaks up on you.....so I'm adjusting again, because I know my fancy day job will not last forever. I want to be ready for whatever the future brings by living in a more sustainable way.

I love the homemade laundry soap. I like this recipe: 3/4 cup borax, 3/4 cup washing soda, one bar of grated ivory - Mix and toss in a jar.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful tips. I too, hope this thread lasts forever!​

Back
Top Bottom