Just curious who else is living super frugal

Have any of you ever stock up "for a year" for staples that would last a while?

I know canned goods for the family of two (hubby is strictly peanut butter sandwich, eats NO veggies (except ff), no fruits no meat). I would buy canned goods for 35 to 49 cents a piece for GG green beans. I bought three and half trays full. Frozen broccoli, corn. Canned carrots, the expensive kind was down to 39 cents a can from 1.88, I bought a tray of that. Campbell's, on the holidays, I would buy a flat of various cream of ---------- soup to make chicken pot pies, tater tots casseroles and clam chowders, etc.

Now I have to make a tally of how much toliet paper I use in a year, paper towels for spills (yes can use towels for other things) and I have not bought any "personals" in the past year since I bought some of BYCer's "personals". Its GREAT!

Instead of using swifter pads, I use towels to wipe down the floors. Use old towels for that!

So any of you have any tips for hamster/gerbil/guinea pig care? Bedding? Foods? We have three hammies now, and we only give them a teaspoon of food each day (or more if they did polish it up) but they do not like those millet seeds at all or some of the oats of lesser quality (looked dried out but the package is good for another year). We buy those dustless wood beddings. Paper is good but it stinks after three days. I thought about Sweet PDZ but not sure if they will be safe for hammies.

Hubby only eats Peanut butter? That's it? WOW! Do you mind if I ask why and does he have any health problems, it just seems so unbalanced for a diet. I truly mean no offense I am just curious.

Not at all Froggie, not at all! I'm curious too, since it defies the medical status on diets LOL!

When he was growing up, he LOVED hamburgers until around the age of seven to eight years old. His dad told me that it was just suddenly he decided not to eat hamburgers. Just peanut butter sandwiches, no jelly. Cereal (plain kinds of Chex and Cheerios, Rice Krispies) or potato chips (plain) in his peanut butter sandwiches. He will eat grilled cheese and plain cheese sandwiches. NO meat of any kind. Will eat mashed potatoes, FF, waffle fries, steak fries. Eats NO fruits or green veggies of any kind. So he has been eating like this since then, he will be 49 years old. Had a panel of blood tests done and everything is good to go. Once in a while his iron count is one tick less for the blood donation requirement. Does not take vitamins, unless he absolutely HAS to. Takes NO pain killers, cough syrups (yeah even when he is coughing up a lung, he wont take it) or most of the time he refuse any RX prescribed by doctors. He is not obese, wears his kilts lOL! One thing I do notice, he tires easily, muscle cramps alot more often and I think it is mostly all in his head. At first I thought he was vegan but he is none of those sorts. He does eat some Jello as long there is NO fruit in it, puddings (chocolate and vanilla), ice cream, chocolate milk drink and shakes, some cookies (peanut butter, chocolate chips, sugar only), vanilla or chocolate cake without frosting, loves KitKat and 3Musteekers candy bars.

Believe it or not, I snuck (or lied) that the spice cake is boxed like regualr spiced cake. What I didn't tell him that the pumpkin puree was required for this spice cake. It was delicious and he loved it. I still have not told him and he didn't think otherwise. So its probably mostly mentally. It is not the only time I've done it. I've added sour cream in sugar cookies for softer chewy texture and he loves it.

He will eat granola bars that has chocolate chips in it. He likes honey. He wont eat oatmeal of any kind, hot cereal or cookies.

He will not hunt for food as in deer but will fish for anyone that wants it. He does not eat any seafood and an experienced diver.

If I want him to kill starlings, he won't kill them. I have to do it. However he would not hesitate to KILL any man who would molest our daughter or anyone that would harm us. No doubt about that one even he never has killed anyone but I dont question his heart when it comes to his own family. He would protect us. I think some of the diet does affect his reasonings, it could be the ADD he has..........

My own family and I swore he would outlive anyone. His cholestrol is 132......talk about very very good! HBP is non existant even his work place is very stressful (works for a CAT subcontractor) as a factory warehouse assembler.

I would not recommend doing this type of diet even he has been on this for a very long time. I have not yet seen any side effects so far......Yes it is very frugal way of eating but he takes on five to six loaves a week, and one Kroger tub of peanut butter. And one box of cereal a week.

ewesheep...
sounds like a guy who knows what he likes (and doesn't!)
lol.png

on the fatigue, that can be electrolytes, as well as just not enough muscle condition/stamina, or it can be cardio vascular issues.

gatorade, power aid, that sort of thing fixes it if it's an electrolyte thing. with his diet he might be getting enough salt (from the PB) but probably not enough calcium, potasium.

he might not be the kind of guy you can get to experiment, but if you can get him to try, have him drink at least 16-20 oz of gatorade about 30 minutes before he's going to do something physical and another 16 oz or more 30 minutes after he starts. see if it makes a difference. if he dislikes the strong flavors, try the "frost" flavors, they're very low intensity.

Have any of you ever stock up "for a year" for staples that would last a while?

I know canned goods for the family of two (hubby is strictly peanut butter sandwich, eats NO veggies (except ff), no fruits no meat). I would buy canned goods for 35 to 49 cents a piece for GG green beans. I bought three and half trays full. Frozen broccoli, corn. Canned carrots, the expensive kind was down to 39 cents a can from 1.88, I bought a tray of that. Campbell's, on the holidays, I would buy a flat of various cream of ---------- soup to make chicken pot pies, tater tots casseroles and clam chowders, etc.

Now I have to make a tally of how much toliet paper I use in a year, paper towels for spills (yes can use towels for other things) and I have not bought any "personals" in the past year since I bought some of BYCer's "personals". Its GREAT!

Instead of using swifter pads, I use towels to wipe down the floors. Use old towels for that!

So any of you have any tips for hamster/gerbil/guinea pig care? Bedding? Foods? We have three hammies now, and we only give them a teaspoon of food each day (or more if they did polish it up) but they do not like those millet seeds at all or some of the oats of lesser quality (looked dried out but the package is good for another year). We buy those dustless wood beddings. Paper is good but it stinks after three days. I thought about Sweet PDZ but not sure if they will be safe for hammies.

Can you put grass hay for bedding for hampsters??
We use it for out tortoise..and tis CHEAP and safe for them to eat too!
A big bale of hay here goes for $8 at the farm store... and that would last us a looong time for my tortoise...

Ewesheep I am just floored, well at least he seems to be maintaining at what he is doing! That is frugal for sure but I would be so bored I would rather not eat. LOL, I would do what you have done, sneaking them in, I do that to my father in law after he yelled at my MIL for using sour cream, I make it my mission to mix it into the food I prepare for him, shssshhh don't tell LOL!

Okay back to regular programing......

He likes Gatorade but only in the hot weather or when he is out reenacting. Water or chocolate milk (when on sale but rare) is all he drinks. Likes rootbeer when he goes out to eat dinner. He always order grilled cheese and fries from the kids menu but for Steak n Shake, he can order adult size grilled cheese and fries. That is frugal or you can order the Snax Pak from Steak and Shake if you prefer hamburgers!

Sometimes ordering out in kids meals if you can get them, would save a bit if you really, really need to eat out.

ewesheep...
sounds like a guy who knows what he likes (and doesn't!)
lol.png

on the fatigue, that can be electrolytes, as well as just not enough muscle condition/stamina, or it can be cardio vascular issues.

gatorade, power aid, that sort of thing fixes it if it's an electrolyte thing. with his diet he might be getting enough salt (from the PB) but probably not enough calcium, potasium.

he might not be the kind of guy you can get to experiment, but if you can get him to try, have him drink at least 16-20 oz of gatorade about 30 minutes before he's going to do something physical and another 16 oz or more 30 minutes after he starts. see if it makes a difference. if he dislikes the strong flavors, try the "frost" flavors, they're very low intensity.

Anyone recycled their beloved rocker recliner? Sure a few holes from wear and tear but the bones of it works well. I would love to "recycle" mine to get more miles of rocking and it fits me perfectly.

The seat has been sucken a bit, so I put a comforter on top of it and a sheet to cover the icky brown. I swear this chair may be over ten to fifteen years old but its a LazyBoy. Paddings are all smashed (foam).

So what do you all do?

I redid a recliner once - it was a major job, learned a bunch about calculating angles for sewing precisely fitted slip covers and what the inside of a chair looks like! replaced all the foam and padding, used the custom fitted slip cover to help keep everything in proper shape, and we used it for another dozen years... don't remember how much it cost to do, but way less than replacing it, if you considered my time free.

Back
Top Bottom