Just curious who else is living super frugal

Dennis, I was given a book called "Build Your Own Earth Oven, 3rd Edition" which you might find helpful. We haven't built one, but maybe some day.....

cntrywmnkw, DW and I will be starting off on a new road – one of which you have already traveled. You are kind enough to caution us of those areas for which we should plan. You don’t sound bad to me – I’m grateful! It is a big commitment, and earlier I discounted the idea of getting a cow. But then I realized that I have, for the last 5 years, woke every morning to feed four horses that were bequeathed to me by my first, late wife. I’m already acclimated to that kind of routine. As far as the offspring is concerned, we plan to use it as a meat supply. But what will we do with all of that excess milk? You make a good point as I don’t want to waste any of the effort I put into keeping a cow. We live in a small community that is 36 miles from the nearest town. I may be able to arrange some kind of partnership with a few of my neighbors … I could get into making cheese – I understand chickens like curds and whey, and we are always looking for ways to cut feed costs for our chickens. Will it all be too much of an effort? I don’t know – perhaps I will enjoy the work and the effort will not be felt. The only way to know is to try! There is one aspect I am worrying about, and perhaps you have some experience with this: How does a cow’s diet affect the taste of its milk? If I must keep the cow on a strict diet of alfalfa to get decent tasting milk, then I have a real problem.
Mickey328 mentioned the existence of miniature cows ?!?! WOW! I will need to look into that! I am a little funny when it comes to the milk I drink. I have noticed goat’s milk at the store, but I haven’t summoned the courage to try it yet.

The reason I am so hesitant about having a cow is that dairy farmers in UK find it almost impossible to make a living. Milk here is so cheap that it just isn't cost effective. Of course, due to the climate they would have to provide winter fodder, when the dairy herd stays in the barns, or they would have to be in a position to grow the necessary fodder. Perhaps your cow could graze out all year and you have sufficient land to make this a viable proposition.

Jersey cows are brilliant animals and give very creamy milk. If I was doing it I would go down the route of cheese making since this will enable you to store your milk product for a very long time. There may be a market for speciallty cheeses which you could learn to make and exploit.People love country cheeses! If you could get the recipes for local, traditional cheeses you could do very well.

Sheep need a lot of care and attention as they are prone to foot problems particularly on wet ground, and fly strike in the summer. They do not like the cold and damp and must be housed during the worst weather. Would you be keeping these for their fleeces or to breed for the table? My best advice would be read everything you can about the care and cost effectiveness of keeping these animals before you embark on purchasing them.

I have recently read in the newspapers that parents are regularly going without a meal to feed their children and I never expected to hear that in my lifetime again! During world war 2, a very famous English chef called Marguerrite Pattern, was employed by the then ministry of food to tour the country giving tips and cookery demonstrations to help people learn how to manage on so little and yet still provide essential nutrients for their families.

I read something similar about the millions here in the U.S. skipping a meal or an entire day of eating due to lack of $$$$ to buy food. The article mentioned that 47 million are on welfare and/or food stamps. I watched the recent video of grocery store looting in Spain,Their unemployment is 32%,and they also started locking garbage bins to prevent dumpster diving.The chaos and high suicides in Greece. Very sad situation all around.

While I still can I buy 3 instead of one of each item,because we just don't know what the future will hold. I was even able to barter some eggs for free firewood from my neighbor. My ds makes faces at what I buy,but he will be grateful to have a full belly of food even if it is not to his liking.

I wonder if Patterns food ideas are in a book or online.Regardless I see plenty of info popping up on basic meals with good nutrients.

My favorite breakfasts are the ones with bread,cheese,butter,kefir cheese,honey comb,jams,cold cuts,and veggies. Often these were the types of breakfasts we had in Hungary or Turkey. I much prefer it over a bowl of cereal or poptart...things that I ate here in the U.S.
My favorite bread are the fresh ones.In Hungary we would get the big loafs,or little bread rolls called Kifli.I loved that fresh stuff.

I would encourage you to try goats milk. I had wanted goats for a long long while. Anywho got a sickly one ( of course) and needed someone experienced to help. Ended up driving for an hour to this older gentleman who raises them. He sells the extra milk from his too. It was yummy. He does keep a male goat but he is in a fenced area away from the females until he is needed so no musk smell all over. Anywho his milk was great. So creamy and rich, no funky taste. I am told if the male is kept near though that affects the flavor.

So I have 2 gals I can breed for goats milk also. No male because I don't have a space for a funky smelling male. Or at least more than I already have now.

I haven't tried goat milk either, Dennis. DH says it does have a different taste and it took him some getting used to. What you can get in a regular store is likely to taste quite a bit different from the fresh stuff too, but I reckon it would be a good start :) I'd never heard of mini cows either until just recently and had a look online. They seem to be a fairly pricey investment and keeping them bred might be an issue but on small acreage, it might be a good choice. There are a couple of breeds that are considered dual purpose..meat and milk. I love Jerseys...they're so pretty and so docile, but it might well be more practical to go with one that gives a bit less milk for the advantage of also being able to eat them. That way if you breed and end up with a male, you could raise it to proper age and butcher it.

Since DH can't drink cow's milk, it would just be me, so there's no way I could utilize the amount of milk to be got from a full sized cow...even using what a mine produces would be a stretch. However, there IS cheese and you could make your own butter as well...the whey goes to the chickens and other critters. Then if you have extra, you can barter, trade or sell it. Selling could be tricky because of all the government regulations and such but if you have a smallish group of folk, it could be managed. I love the barter system; you have extra cheese and find someone who sews really well and work out a deal between the two of you...it's awesome!

In terms of how to reduce feed costs for your chickens, I started a thread a while back and got some great advice. It's https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-property-warning-this-is-a-really-long-post There are other threads about this subject as well...can't hurt to check them out...I've found them to be very helpful!

Last edited:
It is a Dexter cow!!! I have been looking into them!
smile.png

Mickey328 mentioned the existence of miniature cows ?!?! WOW! I will need to look into that! I am a little funny when it comes to the milk I drink. I have noticed goat’s milk at the store, but I haven’t summoned the courage to try it yet.

HeatherLynn, Do you have a separator to separate the cream from the milk? If not, check out Lehman's, they have one for not that much, hand crank or elect, I'd opt for the hand crank. You can save the cream for baking or whip as a topping or give some of that to friends & family as well. Nothing like fresh cream & fresh whole milk straight from the cow.

Back
Top Bottom