Just curious who else is living super frugal

I resisted the urge to take on a car payment this week. I ended up taking 1200 out of my savings and buying an old volvo ( tank). Gas milage is better than my broken down mini van had and its a wagon with a 3rd row so i can fit us all in it. New tires and in good shape. Its just old. Thankfully a mechanic friend loves these old cars and has some himself so he will be more than willing to help out. I feel better now having a dependable car and not having a car payment. I tell you the temptations to use the good credit we have built are a bit much a times.

I stocked up on unbleached, unbromated flour tonight. Still on my kick of trying to kick out garbage from our food. I've been making our bread. I can't get them to even try straight whole wheat so I just went with a healthier version of white flour. The making our own bread thing is going really well. Trying to get the family away from just about everything premade. Hopefully it saves money and is healthier. I have 6 roo's about to hit the chopping block too. Maybe bbq pulled chicken and home made rolls for dinner on Sunday. Should be yummy and cheap. I think we have about a dozen heritage breed roosters ready to hit the freezer all together. We are doing the biggest 6 first, then a few weeks later we will do the next 6. Gives the under dogs time to fatten up.

I resisted the urge to take on a car payment this week. I ended up taking 1200 out of my savings and buying an old volvo ( tank). Gas milage is better than my broken down mini van had and its a wagon with a 3rd row so i can fit us all in it. New tires and in good shape. Its just old. Thankfully a mechanic friend loves these old cars and has some himself so he will be more than willing to help out. I feel better now having a dependable car and not having a car payment. I tell you the temptations to use the good credit we have built are a bit much a times.

I stocked up on unbleached, unbromated flour tonight. Still on my kick of trying to kick out garbage from our food. I've been making our bread. I can't get them to even try straight whole wheat so I just went with a healthier version of white flour. The making our own bread thing is going really well. Trying to get the family away from just about everything premade. Hopefully it saves money and is healthier. I have 6 roo's about to hit the chopping block too. Maybe bbq pulled chicken and home made rolls for dinner on Sunday. Should be yummy and cheap. I think we have about a dozen heritage breed roosters ready to hit the freezer all together. We are doing the biggest 6 first, then a few weeks later we will do the next 6. Gives the under dogs time to fatten up.

Old volvos are great!

I use 1/4 whole wheat flour and 3/4 white flour in all my recipes (even things like brownies and cookies) and it tastes delicious. If I go to half and half, I get complaints. You might try to put in just a tiny amount of WW flour and increase, until they start noticing.

*Have been making my own laundry detergent for several years now. Have not noticed any difference from brand names except mine is unscented.

*Lots of Goodwill, Consignment shop, Craigslist and bulk shopping. The kids are on board with this. It's either that or go to school nekkid!

*I use every last drop of shampoo, soap, toothpaste, ketchup, etc. This irritates my daughter because there is always some bottle turned upside--down in the fridge, on the counter, or in the shower to get the last drop. Cut open toothpaste tubes--lots of toothpaste left even if it's squished flat. I'm convinced I grew up in the Depression in a former life.
big_smile.png

*DH & I took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University a few years ago, cut up all but 1 credit card, and started discussing how the money should be spent beforehand. We fell off the wagon a little but are getting back in the saddle since my hours have been cut back at work.

*Have bought 3 used cars with cash within the last 4 years. All are still on the road.
*Just refinanced our home which will save us around $27,000 over the life of the 15 year mortgage.
thumbsup.gif

*Have read "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" cover to cover by Amy Dacyczyn.

I've been thinking about homemade laundry soap...can it be used in HE washers? Even with the store bought, I always get unscented and use only about half the recommended amount. It cleans fine. I think they want you to use more so you'll have to buy more.

We hit a new thrift store this afternoon and found a great leather car coat for DH. It's worn enough to be supple but not worn out; all the zippers work and there are no cuts or tears. It's lined throughout, but not real heavy; big enough that he can wear a sweater under it for really cold days. He will be able to wear it to work winters for years....$45. That was the only "treasure" we found today, but it was a really good one!

I use my homemade laundry detergent in my HE machine with no issues what so ever! Even fine with septic, SUPER cheap to make (less than $5 makes me about 5-6 gallons) and lasts our family of 6 a few months. And yes, it cleans great too :)

*Lots of Goodwill, Consignment shop, Craigslist and bulk shopping. The kids are on board with this. It's either that or go to school nekkid!

*Have bought 3 used cars with cash within the last 4 years. All are still on the road.

*Have read "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" cover to cover by Amy Dacyczyn.
I love goodwill and other similar shops. I even have my parents on board with it now. I hit bag sales like its Christmas. Get this I just got name brad leotards for my daughter in dance. If I bought them new its 24 ( fancy fronts and backs) and I paid 1.50 for one and only .50 for the other at goodwill. The ones without a skirt they consider underwear. Fine by me. I was going to need to buy her a couple more and now I am good to go.

I was just having a hard time finding what I needed used this time, thankfully before I got desperate something popped up on craigslist. Thank goodness. I had to take a serious look at our progress and its not as fast as I would like but should be completely debt free end of May. That student loan is hanging over my head still and it has to go. Paying off like 14 year early lol but I don't care. I want it all gone.

Thanks, Anna. I assume it's "safe"...as in low phosphates and all that stuff that's bad for the environment? When our current stock is gone, I think I'll give it a try. We're looking at finding some acreage within the next 3 to 5 years or so, and I'm filing away all kinds of little bits of info for future use. One of which is to make a holding tank for grey water...essentially everything but the toilet, and using it for watering crops. I'd want to make sure there wasn't a lot of harmful stuff in there :)

CoopChick719*Have been making my own laundry detergent for several years now. Have not noticed any difference from brand names except mine is unscented

How do you make your own?? We have a septic tank and I buy the Method brand. Would love to save $$ on stuff like that. We also use unsented.

I loved making my own bread in the breadmaker. Then one day I threw away the hard end piece without taking the mixing paddle out of it first. Call me stupid!

Back
Top Bottom