Just finished coop but have a couple questions...

LBC CHICKEN CAPT.

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2017
Hey everybody, super excited to raise my first chicks. I just finished my coop. Thought I could do it in about a day. Took me 4 days all about 10hr days but I am so happy with the outcome!!! Glad I didn't do a pre fabbed TSC coop.. I live in Long Beach CA and had just a couple questions. I put my 5.5 week old chickens in the coop as soon as I got it done. I was wondering how long it would take for them to start to jump on the roosts? Should I put them on it? I have read countless forums about 2hrs a night for the last two weeks and can't figure it out. I used 2x3 pieces of wood laid flat at 19" and 28" off the coop floor. Also what do you think about a solar light in the coop? Lastely Should I keep the nesting boxes closed for the first few months? Thanks for any replies!! I hope to have my coop on this site at some point!!

Some people put young birds on the roost as a means to encouraging them to use them. Personally, I would let them work it out for themselves. In the brooder, I put branches and other objects for them to hop onto, so they seem get the idea immediately.

Is there any particular reason for you wanting to illuminate the coop?

I'd keep the nesting boxes closed until the birds are around 4-5 months old. Using them as sleeping quarters can become a chore.

Thanks for the replies! I will definetly close off the nesting boxes. I only wonder about illuminating the coop because of what I've read and thinking throwing them straight in the dark might stress them. Also anyone know how I can post my coop pics!?!?

At about 8 weeks I started placing them on the roost, they would jump back down and sleep in a dogpile on the floor. After 3 days of me placing them, they started to roost on their own. Block the nest boxes until laying age. They can be taught and usually after just a few days of repetitive routine they will pick it up. I've never put a light in my coop.

You can post pictures by pressing the upload a file bar below where you type your messages. Here is my coop i have been working on for a month or more. I do not get up early and i take lots of breaks because it has been so hot lately. 20170822_165311.jpg

I put a small dowel as a roost in my brooder about a week after I put the two-day-old chicks in there. They started using it almost immediately. They also started roosting on top of the chick feeder and waterer, sometimes falling asleep on them.
They went into the coop at about eight weeks and they were up on the roosts the first night without any coaxing whatsoever. We were so silly the first few days---instead of waiting to see if they would naturally return to the coop at sunset we chased them and put them in ourselves. Thank God no one was had a video camera on us---two old farts trying to corral six flying/running/jumping chickens! As soon as we were brave enough to let them do their own thing they marched themselves into the coop when the sun went down. So now we know. :)
My nest boxes are open and filled with pine shavings. We have a while to go for eggs (the girls are about 15 weeks old now) but they have investigated a bit. I have never noticed any evidence that anyone is sleeping in the nest boxes. No covers on the boxes but I have to admit I've seen pics of curtains and it looks kinda cute.
No light in the coop---if I have to look in at night I have a battery powered lantern or flashlight I can use. I was thinking of maybe getting one of those solar powered lights with a switch (we don't have electric to the coop). Maybe, but for now the lantern or flashlight is just fine.
I am a first-time chicken owner so many others here would be better able to give you variations on the theme but this was my experience.

Hey everybody, super excited to raise my first chicks. I just finished my coop. Thought I could do it in about a day. Took me 4 days all about 10hr days but I am so happy with the outcome!!! Glad I didn't do a pre fabbed TSC coop.. I live in Long Beach CA and had just a couple questions. I put my 5.5 week old chickens in the coop as soon as I got it done. I was wondering how long it would take for them to start to jump on the roosts? Should I put them on it? I have read countless forums about 2hrs a night for the last two weeks and can't figure it out. I used 2x3 pieces of wood laid flat at 19" and 28" off the coop floor. Also what do you think about a solar light in the coop? Lastely Should I keep the nesting boxes closed for the first few months? Thanks for any replies!! I hope to have my coop on this site at some point!!

Hello!
My name is Marietta and I live in Long Beach CA also. I have seven hens and have had them since 2012 or 2011, can't remember exactly. Ha ha! Anyway, I see that you are new to this great adventure of having chickens. I love mine to bits and would be happy to share anything that would be of use to you.

Also, I am looking for someone nearby who would be willing to come tend to my girls while I recover from hip surgery. I need help Wednesday through Saturday beginning September 28 through about the end of October. Interested??? You might get some ideas. (Hint!) If so, please reply. I don't know how to get around in this site very well. I feel quite lucky to have found you!

Back
Top Bottom