Just got a rooster, when will he start to mate?

Keah

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
Hi,

I just got a mature rooster for my flock as I want to breed them. I have 4 hens and he is doing really well since I only got him yesterday. None of my hens have been in contact with a rooster before but it appears they have all hit it off with him. He is picking up food and dropping it for them to eat, he does this weird head shake when he is near one hen in particular. When do you think he will mate with one of them? What signs do I look for?

Cheers

You may or may not see him mate them... but usually they waste little time... just start checking your eggs for the fertile bullseye and you'll know then when he is... :)

You just got him so stress will play apart with his being comfortable to breed the hens....Give him a week and probably before the time is up he will be breeding hens.....Pecking order and fitting in will be over the next few days...

Hi,

I just got a mature rooster for my flock as I want to breed them. I have 4 hens and he is doing really well since I only got him yesterday. None of my hens have been in contact with a rooster before but it appears they have all hit it off with him. He is picking up food and dropping it for them to eat, he does this weird head shake when he is near one hen in particular. When do you think he will mate with one of them? What signs do I look for?

Cheers

Gave a mature rooster away. When introduced to the run he left the dog crate, danced and had the first hen bred within five minutes.
I got a new rooster this spring and after quarantine let him out to free range with the hens. Took 15 minutes tops.
Within two weeks put an assortment of eggs from the majority of my hens in the incubator and every one developed. (I wasn't sure he was breeding each and every hen so I made sure to include an egg from the top hen.)

Thanks for all the advice, you guys were right! I saw him breed on the second day with two hens! I was amazed. haha Hopefully some fertile eggs for the incubator soon :)
Thanks again

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom