Just performed impacted crop surgery - update post #54: caution!!

Good news, technodoll! Don't kick yourself, she's darn lucky to have you for a mom. Question, are you putting raw ACV into the water? Seems like that could help keep away unfriendly bacteria in her crop while she's passing out the gunk and recuperating. Just a thought. Anyway, glad the update is positive so far!!!

Just thinking more about it -- I'd give her crop a rest from any solid food for a day. Vitamins are good, and Pedialyte is good for the electrolytes. And some water with ACV would be good for maintaining good bacteria in the crop.

Her crop's very sluggish. Personally, I'd avoid giving her bread. I think bread might breed some nasty yeasts in her crop, right now. You don't want anything going in there that will ferment. Like applesauce, for me, would be a NO right now. Fruit sugars in it. No milks or yogurts, etc. because of the milk sugars. Give her the soft egg, that's good if she'll take it.

Quote:
Pretty girl!!

And I've read lots of your posts. I think you are an amazing chicken mom!! One of the best.

You did an awesome job, here. I really hope she can pull through for you!
fl.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif

You are a great chicken mommy! Most people would not go to the extent of the care you have given her. Good luck and I hope she does well. She is a beautiful Silkie!

ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

Angel's crop is almost empty this morning! It's a miracle!

celebrate.gif

She's been pooping rocks and grit for two days now and it looks like the surgery was a success!

I guess we got enough gunk out to shrink her crop down to a size that allowed it to contract and do its job again, she's been drinking like a good girl to pass the rest of the impaction on her own and oh, I am so relieved you have no idea!

She's in good spirits and is eating a tiny bit of soft food, I guess her body finally digested what was in her crop so I doubt she's starving - another relief.

The incision is healing well, no signs of infection and in two or three days her broody hormones should have passed and then I'll be able to see how she truly feels.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HELP, ENCOURAGEMENT AND SUPPORT!

I could never have done this without you!

bow.gif

technodoll - that is such great news. I haven't had experience with impacted crop so I followed this thread since the beginning. I am happy ur Angel is doing better and pooping that stuff out. Yeah for Angel!

Thanks for all this information in case I need it in the future. I have done Bumblefoot surgery but not this.

hugs.gif
to you for being a wonderful mommy

hugs.gif
to Angel for hanging in there and staying strong.
woot.gif

You are amazing! I just read through this whole thread and if I ever have to deal with an impacted crop problem I'm coming right back to this for all the info. You are in no way a bad chicken mom - I think you're a hero!

Back
Top Bottom